Keyed Alike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Keyed Alike

When I got my 1951 Champion it had no keys except for the key in the aftermarket ignition switch. There were two sets of door locksets that came with the car.

I ordered keys based on the info in the production sheet. They didn't work in the locksets I have.

I would like to have the ignition and the doors to be keyed alike.

Can a NOS ignition switch be rekeyed?

Can the door locksets be rekeyed?

Thanks,
    John

Take them to any good locksmith and they should be able to fix you up, either by making a key to fit your locks or re-keying everything. Cost wise would be best to have a key made for the door locks, assuming they are the same, and then having only the ignition re-keyed. That way you pay for 1 key that fits 2 locks and have one lock modified to fit that key. Otherwise you pay to have 2 locks re-keyed.
    Try to find the oldest, most cluttered key shop in town owned by an old guy that can hardly stand up straight. He's the guy that knows what's going on with old locks instead of watching a U Tube video to figure it out.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The above advice will work, BUT; you will need to Buy a Real Studebaker Ignition Switch and Lock Cylinder or there will be NO WAY the Aftermarket Switch and Lock can be matched to the Hurd or Yale Door Locks.

Also since the LOOK is totally Wrong you would not want to if you could.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

He mentioned re-keying a NOS ignition switch.
        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The above advice will work, BUT; you will need to Buy a Real Studebaker Ignition Switch and Lock Cylinder or there will be NO WAY the Aftermarket Switch and Lock can be matched to the Hurd or Yale Door Locks.

Also since the LOOK is totally Wrong you would not want to if you could.
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The other way to "fix" it is to take the tumblers out of the ignition, and then it won't matter what key you use in it. I did that for my 54 Coupe. Any ding dong can hot wire one of these cars if they really want to steal it, so I did it just to have matching keys. That way I could keep the doors locked and use the same key for the ignition. Besides, I used a remote kill switch just for the sake of buying time... just in case.
          sals54

Comment

Sal Studebaker is just like a Ford you don't need to hot wire one. All you need to steal one is a piece of wire with a alligator clip on each end for hot wire to coil and a pair of pliers to jump start solenoid.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
              Sal Studebaker is just like a Ford you don't need to hot wire one. All you need to steal one is a piece of wire with a alligator clip on each end for hot wire to coil and a pair of pliers to jump start solenoid.
              I thought that was what hot wireing was.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry I guess maybe it is in a way. Most do it under the dash at the key switch. I always did it under the hood from the battery to the coil and jump the starter and your on your way.

Comment

Jerry I guess maybe it is in a way. Most do it under the dash at the key switch. I always did it under the hood from the battery to the coil and jump the starter and your on your way.
                  So.....how many cars did you steal?
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

I was also wondering how many of our fine Forum members may not have any legal 2ND Amendment rights to worry about. Perhaps they were doing Boy Scout merit badge requirements for little old ladies that lost their car keys and needed to get home. Ya, that's it.
                    Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                    So.....how many cars did you steal?
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

My point.. exactly.
                      sals54

Comment

Thunderations exactly!!! This is just a way to move a car if you don't have a key.

Comment

Working...
                        X