Thread: Some might call it ingenuity

Speedster Member

Some might call it ingenuity

Created: April 25, 2018 12:03 PM
    A Thunder Bay police officer found a suspicious seating arrangement during a traffic stop this week: a pickup truck was missing its seat and the driver was instead sitting in a lawn chair.

According to a news release from the Thunder Bay Police Service, the officer pulled over the truck on Monday afternooon for using license plates that were not authorized for the vehicle. The officer observed the driver sitting in a fold-up lawnchair placed where the driver's seat should have been.
    Police say the truck also had a number of other defects, including a broken windshield impeding the driver's view, a defective door handle effectively trapping the driver, and an insecure load in the box.

The driver was not only charged with offenses related to the vehicle's condition, but was also allegedly driving with a suspended license and did not have insurance for the truck.
    The vehicle was impounded.

"Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

President Member
    Canada is not immune to stupidity.
    Bill

What we need is more lawnchair control laws...this is outrageous!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Speedster Member
    I do see seat-belts and I wonder if it had the correct battery tie-down? What say you Mr. P?
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

It does improve the cupholder situation , and is somewhat color keyed as well.
    Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

President Member
    Had the cabin also been equipped with helium ballons he might have escaped arrest like "Danny Deckchair." https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/...uPoR7F7yfx.jpg
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member
    A securely attached front seat is a very important part of driving safety, although one you usually take for granted. All I can say about this picture is "Yikes!"

Silver Hawk Member
    I think many of us have resorted to unsafe, though temporary, arrangements to move a car. In the late 1970s. I bought a very well-worn 64 Daytona hardtop from John Poulos. The driver's seat frame had broken, been welded, broken again, been welded again, and broken again. I drove it ~45 miles from Annapolis Md to my house in DC sitting on a milk crate. I did have seat belts. When you're young you think you're immortal.

I still have the Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    I think many of us have resorted to unsafe, though temporary, arrangements to move a car. In the late 1970s. I bought a very well-worn 64 Daytona hardtop from John Poulos. The driver's seat frame had broken, been welded, broken again, been welded again, and broken again. I drove it ~45 miles from Annapolis Md to my house in DC sitting on a milk crate. I did have seat belts. When you're young you think you're immortal.

I still have the Daytona.
    You are so right Skip. Back in the same era, I had a small 12 foot Montgomery Wards aluminum fishing boat. One morning, I got the (not so) bright idea that a folding lawn chair would be much more comfortable than the straight hard metal bench type seat in that small boat. I shoved off fishing at dawn on a crisp spring morning. Powered by a flea market trolling motor and a spare car battery, comfortably relaxed in my lawn chair. Due to an errant cast, I found my hook snagged into a rock cliff that towered above deep water. As I extended my reach, the boat leaned, the battery shifted, and so did everything...including me! Somehow, flailing away, I managed to right the boat. Skinned my legs in the process, but learned a valuable lesson. NO MORE LAWN CHAIRS IN THE BOAT!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

If you can't have any chair you want on a boat, the boat is to small!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah, backwoods blacksmithing, the idea that a chair from anywhere can be used everywhere, as its still a chair! Applies to just about everything of course.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

Speedster Member
    You mean something like Paul Allen's boat

R.W. Emerson