I need new shock absorbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: I need new shock absorbers.

Today after a couple hundred mile trip with our 59 Hawk I noticed some oil specks on the rear bumper. This usually means trouble so I put the car up to see where the oil was from. It turned out to be the driver side shock absorber. These shocks are not that old. I want to believe they were poor quality when I bought them. Anyway will I be able to remove my shock and go to the auto store and get a replacement set? I searched here for information on shock absorbers but did not find too much information so I will ask here.

You will if you go in and ask for the appropriate KYB, Gabriel, et.al by their own part number. If you ask for shocks for a Studebaker, chances are the kid behind the counter will ask if that's a Ford, Chevy or made by BMW. If you give them the manufacturers part number and they ask what you want to put them on, don't go down that road.

Are these for your Hawk? And do you prefer a soft or firm ride?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes this is a 1959 Silver Hawk rear and I would prefer a stiff shock.

Comment

Front shocks are the same as a '63-'65 Buick Riviera if you don't have a manufacturer's number.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I think NAPA has them and so does Rockauto. I think I got mine on the 64 from Napa. They don't show a 64 but I have 62 spring plates so can use the 62 shocks. Only difference is the 62 mounts different on the bottom which I think is the same as your 59.

Comment

Rock auto has GABRIEL 82087 CLASSIC for the front at $15.03 each
            and GABRIEL 82151 CLASSIC for teh rear at $31.79 each.

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

Comment

Don't forget, Dave Livesay is putting an order together for reproduced KONI shocks. I have been using them for over 40 years and in my opinion, they are truly the very best for ride comfort, exceptional handling and don't forget, they are adjustable for you to tailor them to your own expectations and driving habits. With all Dave's efforts, we should support him as much as we can.
              Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                Don't forget, Dave Livesay is putting an order together for reproduced KONI shocks. I have been using them for over 40 years and in my opinion, they are truly the very best for ride comfort, exceptional handling and don't forget, they are adjustable for you to tailor them to your own expectations and driving habits. With all Dave's efforts, we should support him as much as we can.
                Bill.
                Can you put me in touch with Dave? I am all about supporting our own first if we can.

Comment

You may also glean some options from Nate Nagel's Studebaker Interchange list. Shock absorbers appear on page 9.

Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This site is worth exploring:
                    '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Can anyone help with shocks for a 60 hawk? Would they be the same as 59? Thanks!

Comment

Yes. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Just put on Rock Auto Gabriel Classic shocks. Weren't too spendy and they were correct!

Comment

[QUOTE[Just put on Rock Auto Gabriel Classic shocks. Weren't too spendy and they were correct!][/QUOTE]
                            Yes Jeffry they will fill the hole but in post #7, I was trying to make your Studebaker drive at it's best. I agree not everyone is as particular as I am, and our driving styles probably differ so to each their own. The difference is obvious when one compares a $15.00 Rock Auto shock with a $75-80.00 Koni or Bilstein. Trust me there is a reason they are so expensive-Engineering and R & D.
                            Luck,
                            Bill

Comment

Something like the Koni would probably also be a little stiffer, and more desirable for the road course drivers.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X