Thread: Another retailer bites the dust

President Member

Another retailer bites the dust

Locally, Younkers, a chain that got its start in the 1850s in Iowa and owned by Bon-Ton, began their liquidation sale and will be out of business by July or August. Bon-Ton got in trouble either because of their borrowing to buy regional retail chains like Younkers or Herbergers or private equity firms were involved, I cannot recall right now.

Yesterday evening, my wife and I went to our local Younkers to use a holiday gift card after a story ran on the local news and an unnamed source said to use your gift cards now because they might not be worth anything tomorrow.

When I was much younger, there was a neighborhood business district close by. In one block there was a pharmacy, a hardware store, a family clothing store and a bakery that baked a local brand of bread and supplied buns to a local burger chain and on the other side of the street was a gas station, a bicycle shop, a dairy store, a dry cleaner and a shoe repair shop, all locally owned. Also when I was young there were small grocery stores all within walking distance of where I am sitting now, I can think of at least six right now, again all locally owned independents or IGAs

I'm not sure where I am going with this, we can't buy everything online, sometimes you need to try on a pair of jeans before you buy them.

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Silver Hawk Member
    My wife is still in mourning!!!!
    , ,

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff T. View Post

I'm not sure where I am going with this, we can't buy everything online, sometimes you need to try on a pair of jeans before you buy them.

Jeff T.
    Regarding this, there has been an interesting phenomenon that has been cropping up in Florida. Most major retailers are redoing themselves in order to make them combination stores and restaurants. The first one to do this in my area was Restoration Hardware in Cityplace and it did not take long for competitors to follow suit. I feel as though, under this method, there is a greater chance of physical retailers staying in business but not to the extent where they are "out of the woods" so to speak.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

Clearly there will need to be brick and mortar businesses locally but to what extent? The internet provides such impressive service it seems things are here almost before I order them. I'd hate to be in any kind of retail.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

President Member
    I'm still mourning the loss of the local lumber yard/ hardware store after a 96 year run. They always had a least 6 clerks at the counter and people waiting to check out. The family owned business couldn't resist the developers offer. Sigh!

Speedster Member
    My electric motor supplier is based out of Portland, OR. I can call to request a certain motor, e-mail a P.O.#, and it will be 2:30 PM PDT. The motor will show up in Woodinville, WA the next morning, regular UPS delivery by 10:00 AM. I used to have (4) each sitting in inventory and now as soon as one goes out the door, I place an order and have its replacement the very next morning with no added overnight shipping charges. This isn't the internet, Amazon, etc., just friendly business to business using the phone which more and more people are afraid to pick up. I call such people "phone-a-hobics" who'd rather send 1,000 e-mails, none of them read, rather than pick up a phone and resolve an issue within 3 minutes, but that's another rant.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

Blog Entries
    A few years ago, I was mourning the loss of our local hardware stores. First our True Value went, then Ace. While it’s not what I would call a Renaissance, I’m proud to say that Ace has once again entered our city with a brand new store that’s located in what was an old Ford dealership. It’s nice to have them back and I patronize them as much as I possibly can. Sometimes, the flowers that die in winter bloom up again in spring
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Speedster Member
    I agree, "Ace is the Place." McLendons-Woodinville, next to my shop, has to be one of the best hardware stores on the planet. Friendly, knowledgeable, courteous, prices are right, & if I need a $0.03 O-ring or washer they will hook me up.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson