Thread: Pennylvania Tubes...

Pennylvania Tubes...

Going to be taking a nice set of five 1937 Dictator wheels to SB in early May and found an interesting piece of inner tube history...

Because I knew the tires on the rims were pretty old, I had a local business break them down so I could shed some weight and gain some room.

These are those original tires:

The original vehicle had less than 40K miles when it was hot-rodded, so the tires were most likely from the 1950s.

All but one of the tires had inner tubes from companies I recognized, except this one. Guess Pennsylvania has been a pretty popular brand for just about anything.

Golden Hawk Member
    I remember Gillette tires.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    The side walls on those tires look a lot better than the date code 1977 tires I still have on my truck.

President Member
    I have two nors tubes in the shop from K-Mart, They are still sealed so I am reluctant to open the bags to see who made them. Maybe I'll float down the local creek this summer in them. Ed

You might should wear your life jacket! LOL In all reality, they could be in very good condition. It depends on where they were made.

President Member
    PFD's are always in reach when I'm out on the boat, Ed

A couple decades ago we took a "Pennsylvania Turnpike" tire off a '37 Coupe Express. We couldn't find a brand name on it, but knew it wasn't manufactured by THE Pennsylvania Turnpike. Suspect it might have been the Carlisle Tire and Rubber Co, as Carlisle, PA was the original eastern terminus of the PA Turnpike back when it first opened in October of 1940.

My folks traveled the turnpike to New Jersey a couple of times when it was first built to visit Dad's cousin. Dad always talked in reverent tones when mentioning the Pennsylvania Turnpike. My favorite of his stories involves skid marks on the curves.

He kept seeing these skid marks on the curves and couldn't figure out how they got there until he was passed like he was standing still by a semi coasting down the mountain.

Yikes!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.