No announcement yet.

Asking prices these days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

56 Rando, after reading your response, I have to agree with you. The present generation, and next, are not looking for a manual, three on the tree,, drum brakes, road noise, etc., that come with driving a 'classic' car. They are more into navigation systems, sound systems, lane departure warnings, and all of the other electronic gadgets that come with new cars.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
      56 Rando, after reading your response, I have to agree with you. The present generation, and next, are not looking for a manual, three on the tree,, drum brakes, road noise, etc., that come with driving a 'classic' car. They are more into navigation systems, sound systems, lane departure warnings, and all of the other electronic gadgets that come with new cars.
      and more importantly, most of them haven't grown up in a "make do and mend" society, so having to work on something or even knowing how is generally a foreign concept and one that to the majority of that generation, is probably not all that appealing.

Selfishly, my concern as a 50 year old is that there will still be parts suppliers 25-30 years from now so I can keep my Studebaker on the road as long as I'm upright and breathing.
      Dean Seavers
      Sacramento, CA

Comment

Those of us who buy an old car are akin to the several-times divorced person who remarries once again; the triumph of hopes and dreams blotting out expensive experience.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Here is another "Angle" for ya.
          The fact that you are in Rich New Yorker escape land: Florida not known for a Large amount of Classic Cars or Cars period just HIGH Prices compared to the West Coast, looking for good quality Studes. at Fair Prices is easier if you go by the old adage; "Supply and Demand"! More Cars = better prices.

Drier Location = Better Cars.

Just say'in, maybe you have already been there, done that, I don't know.
          That's not true. Florida is covered up with collector cars. All the older guys with enough money to retire down here bring their cars with them. Here's what happens. The old guy is getting too old to go to the shows any more and tells his buddy "I gonna sell the car. It's too much for me at this age." The buddy who knows nothing about anything says "Wow that car is beautiful. It should get you $25K to $30K". The old guy hears that big number and it sticks in his head and he likes it. Next thing he has it advertised for $25K when in reality the car is worth $12K. At 87, he really needs the money to leave to his grand kids so the car just languishes out there. Then some outfit like Gateway talks him into consigning it with them convincing the old guy that they can relieve him of the 'tire kickers' and they have financing for buyers. The car sits for a while and the dealer calls the old guy and tells him they have a buyer who is approved for the financing but is only willing to spend $15K.. The old guy is tired of messing around and caves in, a new buyer winds up feeling he got a bargain because he had seen the car advertised for $25K and now gets it for $20K and Gateway makes $5 grand, and the seller gets $15,000. What a deal~! The last 3 cars I called about were held by these whores.
          Last edited by colt45sa; 09-29-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I would hope that for all of us, there might be a family member that would enjoy 'grampas' car when we get too old to drive them, and care for them. At that point, I won't care about the value, and will be happy to pass it on to one of my children, or grandchildren. To make this transition successful, there should be some time spent with them, driving, and maintaining the car, so they know a little about what it takes to own one.
            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
              That's not true. Florida is covered up with collector cars. All the older guys with enough money to retire down here bring their cars with them. Here's what happens. The old guy is getting too old to go to the shows any more and tells his buddy "I gonna sell the car. It's too much for me at this age." The buddy who knows nothing about anything says "Wow that car is beautiful. It should get you $25K to $30K". The old guy hears that big number and it sticks in his head and he likes it. Next thing he has it advertised for $25K when in reality the car is worth $12K. At 87, he really needs the money to leave to his grand kids so the car just languishes out there. Then some outfit like Gateway talks him into consigning it with them convincing the old guy that they can relieve him of the 'tire kickers' and they have financing for buyers. The car sits for a while and the dealer calls the old guy and tells him they have a buyer who is approved for the financing but is only willing to spend $15K.. The old guy is tired of messing around and caves in, a new buyer winds up feeling he got a bargain because he had seen the car advertised for $25K and now gets it for $20K and Gateway makes $5 grand. What a deal~! The last 3 cars I called about were held by these whores.
              Oh I don't know. Seems like it all worked out ok. Gateway needs to make money to stay in business too. Grandpa was a goof ball thinking it was worth 25.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

no comment as I have my 53 on E-bay this week and it has moved rather nice up the hill, has not made reserve yet but getting close, sell a good Studebaker at a fair price and they should move.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

I think the less common stuff like Studebaker is gaining ground in the market. This is just based on observations at the local shows I attend. I am seeing more and more off brand stuff showing up between the rows and rows of Mustang's, Camaro's, and tri-five Chevy's. The non big three stuff is also getting a lot of attention at those shows. There was a guy with a beautiful 56 Nomad parked next to me at a show last year. My humble little non-supercharged Hawk was getting more attention than his $80 thousand dollar Chevrolet.

I don't know if this increased interest in off-brands will ever turn into higher sell prices. We will have to wait and see for that. But it does seem like a step in the right direction.
                  Wayne
                  "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                    Oh I don't know. Seems like it all worked out ok. Gateway needs to make money to stay in business too. Grandpa was a goof ball thinking it was worth 25.
                    You're right about Grandpa being a goofball. But it's difficult to get any meaningful information when everyone seems to be afraid to announce what they really sold their car for. But I don't agree with you about Gateway and the others. I must admit that they are pretty smart. They're like the jewelers who want to buy a fine diamond I want to sell. The diamond has a value of $15K to $16K according to the Rappaport Report, but they want to buy it for $12K or less. It's my money that's been tied up in it for 43 years. I feel that that's kind of excessive.

Comment

Seems to me that the starting "asking price" is nearly always $25,000.....
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        Those of us who buy an old car are akin to the several-times divorced person who remarries once again; the triumph of hopes and dreams blotting out expensive experience.

jack vines
                        Or, in many cases, given the plethora of vehicles on the property, we are "Vehicular Polygamists!" Hopes and Dreams X ____ (fill in the blank) = ____.
                        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I had the interior replaced and a complete paint job on my 57 Commander 4dr in the last year. My plan is to drive and enjoy it, never expect to get a return on my investment. On the other hand, the 63 R2 Hawk that fell into my lap valued at $6000 was always intended to be a flip. I spent $4000 for parts, did the work myself over 9 months and sold it for $23000 in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by 56 Rando View Post
                            I would say the opposite, As we studebaker guys get old more and more cars will come on the market. The really choice pieces will retain value. The average, run of the mill cars i believe will go down in value as more cars become available and us old dudes don't want to buy any more. The younger kids for the most part, don't give a hoot about old cars in general and especially Studes. Whose gonna be buying these cars? I believe in the next 10 years or so more and more Studies on the market and not many folks buying. That will make prices go down. My 2 cents,
                            I may be an exception, or perhaps just hair past what some might consider the "current generation", but having just bought my first Studebaker last month at the age of 37 years old, I hope I can represent the trend of those who do still find interest in older cars. Frankly, my father was never, ever interested in classic car culture and didn't know anything beyond how to check the oil of his own newer cars. My interest in it spawned from not wanting something disposable, and forcing myself into the position of having to learn and rely on myself to fix problems. I'm still VERY much a novice when it comes to the workings, but there have been a few folks along the way who have not passed judgement on me or written me off as just "some kid", and instead have encouraged me. From what I've read on the board, a lot of owners picked up the interest from their own parents, and gained knowledge working along their father's cars. I wish I'd had that experience, but alas at 37, I'm just now in a financial position where I can take the on-boarding process on for myself. I kicked down a little over $6,000 for my Lark, which I'd say is in pretty decent condition. It's no show pony, but its overall mechanically fit and the paint is decent - though I'm going to be saving up for a nicer paint job in the next few years. To me, that seemed like a steal of a deal - especially considering it came with a whole separate parts car and loads of extras on top of that! If I was to turn around and sell it today, I wouldn't take less for it.

As time progresses, I think there will be more younger folks like myself. We're not all about gadgets and gizmos. Some of us want substance, and as older folks pass on and their cars go up for sale, I'd imagine that the great condition ones will go to other collectors or museums, and the decent ones will distribute evenly. I saw another post on the board from that 17 year old who saved up $15K to buy his own. My son is 4 years old, and he loves riding in the Lark. I'm going to raise him to appreciate it and learn with me about how to keep it alive, and I'd imagine in 12 years, he'll be driving one of his own.
                            Last edited by severalsins; 04-18-2018, 09:55 AM.
                            Ronnie | Portland, OR

1959 Studebaker Lark VIII Regal (Hardtop)

Comment

My 2 cents say you are correct....
                              Originally posted by 56 Rando View Post
                              I would say the opposite, As we studebaker guys get old more and more cars will come on the market. The really choice pieces will retain value. The average, run of the mill cars i believe will go down in value as more cars become available and us old dudes don't want to buy any more. The younger kids for the most part, don't give a hoot about old cars in general and especially Studes. Whose gonna be buying these cars? I believe in the next 10 years or so more and more Studies on the market and not many folks buying. That will make prices go down. My 2 cents,
                              Lou Van Anne
                              62 Champ
                              64 R2 GT Hawk
                              79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by severalsins View Post
                                I may be an exception, or perhaps just hair past what some might consider the "current generation", but having just bought my first Studebaker last month at the age of 37 years old, I hope I can represent the trend of those who do still find interest in older cars. Frankly, my father was never, ever interested in classic car culture and didn't know anything beyond how to check the oil of his own newer cars. My interest in it spawned from not wanting something disposable, and forcing myself into the position of having to learn and rely on myself to fix problems. I'm still VERY much a novice when it comes to the workings, but there have been a few folks along the way who have not passed judgement on me or written me off as just "some kid", and instead have encouraged me. From what I've read on the board, a lot of owners picked up the interest from their own parents, and gained knowledge working along their father's cars. I wish I'd had that experience, but alas at 37, I'm just now in a financial position where I can take the on-boarding process on for myself. I kicked down a little over $6,000 for my Lark, which I'd say is in pretty decent condition. It's no show pony, but its overall mechanically fit and the paint is decent - though I'm going to be saving up for a nicer paint job in the next few years. To me, that seemed like a steal of a deal - especially considering it came with a whole separate parts car and loads of extras on top of that! If I was to turn around and sell it today, I wouldn't take less for it.

As time progresses, I think there will be more younger folks like myself. We're not all about gadgets and gizmos. Some of us want substance, and as older folks pass on and their cars go up for sale, I'd imagine that the great condition ones will go to other collectors or museums, and the decent ones will distribute evenly. I saw another post on the board from that 17 year old who saved up $15K to buy his own. My son is 4 years old, and he loves riding in the Lark. I'm going to raise him to appreciate it and learn with me about how to keep it alive, and I'd imagine in 12 years, he'll be driving one of his own.
                                Good for you! I figure there will always be some folks like yourself, but I do think you are a bit of an outlier. I'm 50, so I'm not a ton older than you, but I was probably the last generation who had "cheap" cars from the 50's/60's/ and early 70's as a first car, so being a gearhead was really easy because the older cars were just part of the daily landscape and cheap for a kid to own, drive, and work on.

My son is 20 years old, and has always grown up around my gearhead hobbies. While he likes my wagon and my other old vehicles (old British motorcycles and Italian scooters) He doesn't really care about even having a driver's license, but he's fanatical about bicycles and that's his main mode of transportation and he's always building bikes and upgrading parts, so the gearhead gene is there, it just manifested itself a little differently.

But as you stated about wanting substance, I never feel like something is truly mine until I have worked on it. I've only owned one new car in my life, and it felt more like an appliance than a vehicle that was mine. Welcome to the joys of old car ownership! I hope you never come across anyone dismissing you as "some kid" and that folks will share the knowledge they have with you. There are a lot of tips and tricks that old mechanics know that aren't part of any manual, that I fear will leave with them when they pass on.

Happy motoring!
                                Dean Seavers
                                Sacramento, CA

Comment

Working...
                                X