Thread: Studebaker on Craigslist

Champion Member

Studebaker on Craigslist

Not mine but found while searching around me. Doesn't seem like a bad price.

https://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/d...545019850.html

00c0c_hCwNBUhn4mY_600x450.jpg

Bill

For some reason, this looks similar to one listed as Lenoir NC a year or two ago. Some of these cars seem to float around as "used car" dealers (& flippers) swap among themselves from time to time.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member Bordeaux Daytona's Avatar
    Looks nice.
    Here's one I've been meaning to mention here.....
    1964 Studebaker Commander gasser w/parts car - Reduced - $2200 (Central Wisconsin)

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...542925358.html

President Member
    The 66 appears to be a cruiser & the front fender has been re-worked (missing name script and lower trim spear). I'd may call them tonight to see if I can get the car's information for the '66 registry.
    Mike Sal

Quote Originally Posted by billaird View Post

Bill
    Wow~! Unfortunately has too many doors.

My brother owned this car for several years. He sold it awhile back and I heard the new owner reworked the 283 engine. It did have rust repairs and was painted. But it's not a bad deal considering the ridiculous prices some people are asking for rust bucket, non-running SBakers these days. If I recall correctly, it was one of the last 300-400 Studes ever made.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by billaird View Post

Bill
    I stopped and looked at this car this past Friday on the way back from visiting my Mom. It is sitting on Highway 90, just a couple miles east of Taylorsville.

No one was there at the business, so I didn't open the hood but looked inside the front doors. The floors look amazingly nice, but may be a few spots of rust that are covered up with what looked like seam sealer. No carpets in the front, the dash looked decent, and the front door panels are off. There is a problem with the driver's side window and it is only half up but the front end of the car is kinda under a metal carport. Didn't push on the brake pedal. I'll say that if the brakes are ok, and the car runs good, this would be a good car to spend some time fixing a lot of little things and have a decent driver. But, if you have to do brakes, some suspension work, upholstery, etc you would be underwater quickly.

In my opinion, a person would be a lot better off taking a couple thousand more dollars and getting a much better Lark that can be driven pretty much right away. They are not everywhere, but watching eBay, Craigslist, and the forum should get you one in a few months.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

As I recall, the brakes were relined and drums resurfaced when the car was purchased around 2009. The gas tank was also removed and chemically cleaned. Not many miles put on it since -to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    I stopped and looked at this car this past Friday on the way back from visiting my Mom. It is sitting on Highway 90, just a couple miles east of Taylorsville.

No one was there at the business, so I didn't open the hood but looked inside the front doors. The floors look amazingly nice, but may be a few spots of rust that are covered up with what looked like seam sealer. No carpets in the front, the dash looked decent, and the front door panels are off. There is a problem with the driver's side window and it is only half up but the front end of the car is kinda under a metal carport. Didn't push on the brake pedal. I'll say that if the brakes are ok, and the car runs good, this would be a good car to spend some time fixing a lot of little things and have a decent driver. But, if you have to do brakes, some suspension work, upholstery, etc you would be underwater quickly.

In my opinion, a person would be a lot better off taking a couple thousand more dollars and getting a much better Lark that can be driven pretty much right away. They are not everywhere, but watching eBay, Craigslist, and the forum should get you one in a few months.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

President Member
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but by coincidence my brother and I were in Taylorsville, NC last Thursday, purchased and drove back to VT (1100 miles) a really nice 1976 Chevy stepside pickup truck that was at Hoyle Auto Sales on West Main Street. We saw a couple Studebakers parked in a dooryard outside of town on RT16 or 18, but neither one appeared to be for sale. Talk about a small world.

1976 Chevy Stepside1.jpg
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Blog Entries
    Wow Dan, that was quite a drive wasn't it! Yes, a small world for sure.

Did the truck do well on the trip home?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

President Member
    I'll bet Shell oil stock took a jump after that trip....my '79 chevy truck gets about 9mpg.....

President Member
    The truck made it home just fine, only needed to replace the fan belt in State College, PA. Its a 350 V8, 4 bbl, automatic, PS, PB and got around 15 mpg. I kept it around 65 mph most of the way back to VT. Not a bad ride once we got off I81 and all the big rigs on there.