Thread: 1948 M5 Gas Tank

Champion Member

1948 M5 Gas Tank

Hello, seems my 1948 M5 developed a small fuel leak from the tank over the winter storage. I am considering my options to have the tank repaired or to try to find a replacement tank. As my truck is not completely stock( appears stock but Ford running gear) I would consider an aftermarket tank that would fit in original location. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any info.

If it is a small leak, the proper version of J-B Weld might take care of it. If the tank is just too far gone you may have to replace. I saw a post somewhere that a Ford Explorer tank was a perfect fit for a guy with an M series on a Dakota frame. It might be worth a look. I don't remember what year he used.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

If you want to get the original tank restored I have heard good things about Moyer Fuel Tank Renu (http://www.gas-tank.com/). I doubt it is cheap but the result will bolt right in

Champion Member
    Yes I have been on their website. definitely a consideration. I did try some jb weld as an emergency fix but am not confident it will hold. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by 48studebakerm5 View Post
    Yes I have been on their website. definitely a consideration. I did try some jb weld as an emergency fix but am not confident it will hold. Thanks for the info.
    If it is a simple puncture a sealant can work. If it is a split seam or the first signs of rust eating through probably not. My dad "temporarily" plugged a hole with Seal-All while we were on vacation years ago. He never had anything else done to it. Never leaked.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Champion Member
    I think it might be rust as it has been sitting in the garage for a couple of years. Since truck only appears stock( Ford 6 cyl and 3 spd tranny and ford rear) I'm not opposed to a steel aftermarket tank or a repro tank from something that would fit. I need to drop the tank and assess the situation I guess. Any advice on dropping tank? Thanks.