Thread: Beware of this seller

President Member

Beware of this seller

I just had a strange text conversation with a person named Jill who has Studebakers for sale on Craigslist. I left a normal voicemail wanting to talk about cars she posted and received a very odd, rude, and unorthodox series of text responses. Be careful in dealing with this person.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d...561023578.html

Silver Hawk Member
    That looks like the collection of the late Alan Barth of Harrington, WA. Maybe this "Jill" is a scammer. I would contact Brian Curtis. He ought to know the situation.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    funny... one used to be able to report something like this. Then again, the way reporting was abused and how CraigsList doesn't want to do customer service, I'm not surprised it is gone. Good thing this kind of car isn't my cup 'o tea.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Silver Hawk Member
    You can still "flag" it as "prohibited" or "spam", but I would not do that unless I knew for certain that the "seller" is indeed a scammer.

Speedster Member
    I see several newsletters and have not seen this one. I agree, check with Brian Curtis.

1961 Flamingo Hawk

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
    studenews@outlook.com

Not that I could be accused of mischief...but if it really is determined to be a scammer, we could overwhelm her (Jill?) with questions like if the ECM has been serviced?...Would she ship it gift wrapped?...What color of grease is in the wheel bearings?...What's the emergency stopping distance at 80mph on wet pavement?...And has it ever been driven by a smoker?

We spend enough time here pestering each other...it would be great to team up & use our irritating skills to blast a slimeball scammer.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Not that I could be accused of mischief...but if it really is determined to be a scammer, we could overwhelm her (Jill?) with questions like if the ECM has been serviced?...Would she ship it gift wrapped?...What color of grease is in the wheel bearings?...What's the emergency stopping distance at 80mph on wet pavement?...And has it ever been driven by a smoker?

We spend enough time here pestering each other...it would be great to team up & use our irritating skills to blast a slimeball scammer.
    Yes, similar to; - if every phishing email was replied to with BOGUS information it would seem to "turn the tables" on those people. Then instead of sending out millions and getting a few accurate replies. They would get millions..., almost all with incorrect information.

As it regards this situation I'd have to see the questions/answers to make an honest determination. In some cases the party one deals with is selling against their will, or is just a message intermediate (like a sister answering for an absent brother) etc. Often times I've called about cars only to get the PO-ed wife who is rude, indifferent and even too lazy to look in the garage to see if her husband is home.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

FWIW James Barth has been advertising lots of cars and parts on the Studebaker Addicts (International) Facebook page.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Don't most of you think that depending on the Phone answering machine message that was left, the "Seller" MAY have thrown you into the pot with all the CASO's that I am sure have been bugging her with 1/4 Price offers etc.?

This could be a Daughter, Daughter in Law, Grand Daughter, Grand Daughter in Law, Sister, other Relative, or friend of the Late Alan Barth!

So the Rude Text Message answer could well be a misunderstanding, or mistake.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Silver Hawk Member
    I heard back from Brian Curtis. This is a legit seller. CraigsList + text messaging is an invitation to miscommunication.
    Last edited by gordr; 04-15-2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling

President Member
    I called the phone number and left a pleasant voice message. What I rec'd in return was strange text messages. Wouldn't want to deal with a person like that.

Quote Originally Posted by studefan View Post
    I called the phone number and left a pleasant voice message. What I rec'd in return was strange text messages. Wouldn't want to deal with a person like that.
    I would call again until an actual PERSON answers the phone.

Craig

Speedster Member
    Jill is Alan Barth's daughter. I know that for fact.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billslark View Post
    Jill is Alan Barth's daughter. I know that for fact.

Bill
    In that case, please ignore my earlier post. The thing about craigslist and other open internet venues, there is no requirement for folks to be experienced in salesmanship or even social decorum. Just like us, the "flatness" of internet communication is very easy to misinterpret, misunderstand, and misuse. We don't know what's going on behind the keyboards. We have to rely on the words as printed and make the best judgment based on that. I would hate being responsible for a making a bad situation worse. We don't know if Alan's daughter is tasked with dispersing her father's possessions if due to bad health, or some other stressful situation is going on we know nothing about. (Even my last statement is an assumption that could be totally wrong)
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Both Studebakers a 1920 coupe and a '22 touring car are now on ebay.
    In the end Ignorance will have conquered all adversaries

Don't hasten the end

Speedster Member
    John, No need to apologize, I too wondered why studefan was replied to in such a manner. You would think somebody wanting to sell a vehicle would more cordial.

Bill

Blog Entries
    I think we’ve covered this topic
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com