wheel lugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel lugs

curious as to how long studebaker used "backward" lugs. i've had avantis for over 40 years; this '53 was my 1st excursion older and i found out the hard way!
    gfperry

The 1957 Models were the Last of the Left Hand Thread on the Left Hand side.

Do some Cars currently have Newer or Older Drums installed or some of each, you bet.

UPDATE: Also, the STUDS have an "L" stamped into them.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-13-2018, 10:26 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I just painted my left hand lug nuts red as a reminder.
      My fear is that I forget to tell a tire shop and they bust the left side studs thinking the lug nuts are "stuck".
      DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
      1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

MoPar used left hand nuts on the left side of the car for many years.

Left hand lug nuts are marked, some with a circle on the outer surface, some with tiny divots in the middle of the six points. They can be identified by someone paying attention - not that many people do.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My -67 Jag Mk2 had it as well as manu MoPars I've had & it's old-time racing experiance, I've had later Cadillacs that would've profited by having it, many times I felt the nuts were lose on the left side, the -81 hearse was a heavy car but as we all know GM sell on fashion rather than quality.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            MoPar used left hand nuts on the left side of the car for many years.
            Yep, Mopars were still using left hand threads into the 60s. All our 63,64,65 Chrysler products had them on the driver's side.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

International and Wiilys used them as well. A kid working in the local gas station busted a stud on my '63 Willys pick up. The owner cussed him out and replaced the stud for free. I felt sorry for the kid, he started working on cars in the '90s, and had never seen left hand lugs before.
              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Funny this, my pal was sitting flat on the ground by the right rear wheel of his Citroen today so I asked him why & he said the nutts were to tight & he's a bit weak from being ill for a while so I losened them for him & then went to the other side... both on left side were quite lose while the right side ones were real tight!
                Hmmm... & yes; he drives hard & long distances.

Comment

I bought a well made utility trailer and the right side had left hand nuts/studs, this fooled me to a point that I damaged a stud and had to press all the studs out and replace them with right hand studs. I got them from Currie. There are a great variety of sizes in thousandths and I had to look at several to get the right size to press in the hole. I had to remove a small amount of material for a perfect fit. They press in easy and cut their own way in.

Comment

Working...
                  X