Thread: hawk side grills

Commander Member

hawk side grills

Someone told me they heard there is someone (possibly in Texas) reproducing Hawk side grill surrounds. Does anyone know of this? I need the whole drivers side assembly (surround, insert and parking light) for my '61. Any help appreciated!

They were likely mixing the available '53 & '54 Reproductions for C & K Models, with the "OTHER" C & K Models: Hawks.

NO Hawk Side Grilles are available except used.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

They pop up occasionally on e-bay, but most need to be repaired, and replated, so that cost will need to be added to the price.

Speedster Member
    The easiest way to get a set of 1956-61 Hawk side grilles is to buy a '62 Hawk, remove the side grilles and have then chromed. Then, sell the '62 Hawk sans side grilles.
    -Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
    The easiest way to get a set of 1956-61 Hawk side grilles is to buy a '62 Hawk, remove the side grilles and have then chromed. Then, sell the '62 Hawk sans side grilles.
    -Dwight
    If you do this, you would have to Save your old Inner "Pans" to screw back into the Chrome Frames after you have cut the "pin heads" on the wrong Pans and removed them for the plating process.

On different YEARS there are at least 3 or 4 Different Inner pans that were used in these Side Grille Mouldings depending on Grille Mesh and or round or rectangular Parking Lights being in them or NOT.

Speedster Member

Hawk side grilles

Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    If you do this, you would have to Save your old Inner "Pans" to screw back into the Chrome Frames after you have cut the "pin heads" on the wrong Pans and removed them for the plating process.

On different YEARS there are at least 3 or 4 Different Inner pans that were used in these Side Grille Mouldings depending on Grille Mesh and or round or rectangular Parking Lights being in them or NOT.
    (1) One has to remove the inner pans from the grilles before plating them in any case, doesn't he? Otherwise, the inner pans would also be chrome plated. Or, I guess, one could leave the inner pans on during plating, then sand and paint the pans.

(2) I believe the different inner pans are: 1956-57, 1958, 1959-61, 1962.
    -Dwight FitzSimons

I once tried to have a pair of 62GT side grills re-chromed. Long before, I have noticed, most all 62GTs will have one side that has blemished chrome beneath the paint, and the other side will look to be brass or bronze. Anyway, I turned the pair into a local chromer, and aftre a few weeks, he said he was having trouble re-chroming the brass one, but assured me he would get it done. Finally, quite some time later, he returned the one re-chromed nicely, but the brass one was still brass. He said words to the effect, "I don't know what in the h--- has been done to that one, but I just cannot get it to take a re-chrome". He said was the first time he had to give up on something, but the brass one just would not accept a coating. Till now, I have no idea either, but would like to hear of someone who has successfully re-chromed a brass one. (The brass ones are also noticeably heavier than the regular, chrome ones are.)