1964 Astra White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: 1964 Astra White

I will be repainting my '64 Daytona this summer and would like to return to the original colour which as Astra White. Does anyone know a current paint that would have a similar colour. I do have an original Ditzler paint chip card, but I don't known if it can be accurately reproduced.

Thanks

T-cab

I had a shop shoot the firewall on the '64 GT before we installed the engine and trans. The Astra white crossed to a '99 Volvo if I remember.
    Rob in PA.

Comment

The Ditzler number is PPG, if you have PPG there. For some reason the strato blue comes out way light compared to original, even though the modern PPG number is the same. Don't know if white would be off or not.

Comment

The Strato Blue is an "out of the can" Kenwood tractor color on anyone's mixing chart....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
          The Strato Blue is an "out of the can" Kenwood tractor color on anyone's mixing chart....
          I don't know about that, all I know is PPG bought out Ditzler and the ditzler numbers are still in the PPG books and almost every wagonaire I see on the internet is the lighter version. I figured it was probably due to paint being reformulated so many times.

Comment

Thanks for the leads:

I will check out the Volvo colour

T-cab

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
              I had a shop shoot the firewall on the '64 GT before we installed the engine and trans. The Astra white crossed to a '99 Volvo if I remember.
              Rob in PA.
              This a photo of said firewall - inside photo probably is not the best of getting a good idea of exactly how "white" it is...

Comment

I looked at the DuPont Centari can I had from painting Astro White several years ago nd it shows it crossing to a 1993 volvo. The code on the van was N8236A. It says code 189. They called DuPont tech support to get the cross. Both my paint store and centari are gone but they should be able to use the code to give you what you need. Good luck
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	White.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1720309

This is code 189 from 1994 paint chips. Does it appear to be close to Astra White?

T-Cab

Comment

The way this chip appears here, it shows WAY too much yellow off-White, it needs to be Gray off-White, which has a touch of Black and less Yellow.

You would have to see it sprayed out on metal, to see the REAL Look and tint it from there if wrong.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

All the volvo codes 93-94 and 99 could be right. Most companies use their whites for years even sometimes changing the code number on the vin tag but still the same color. Gm used one of their whites from the 60's into the 2000's on their trucks.

Comment

I remember trying to match astra white to a later type paint many years ago. DuPont or Ditzler matched it best to a Chicago city fleet color. However, the original Studebaker formula was not at all complicated. It called for just one of the mixing white colors and a trace of green. That sounds vague but the white was a pure white which is probably the same as one of the mixing whites in use today.

Comment

I also forgot to mention that most paint stores have whats called a color map book. It has almost every color you can think of in page after page of just a small difference in tints with a small hole in the middle of the chip. I find the page that's the closest to the color your trying to match and lay the page over the color and try to pick the closest one. Then they can mix you that color and tint from there. We had to use it in the big truck shops because of so many special company colors that had no paint code to go by.

Comment

My recently acquired 64 full order factory Super Hawk was Astra White. 2 or 3 paint overs later, its a combination of ugh. The car is stripped and apart and will get a Concours quality paint soon. I will go to the Astra White as to keep this 52K mile car original.
                            Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X