Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1929 Dictator. HELP! What is the timer for behind the dash

2 questions:
    I am restoring a 1929 Dictator. I am redoing the wiring right now. I'm trying to know why there is what they call a ''Timer'' behind the dash.
    Look like the power come there before getting distributed to coil and other places. Is this required or can I bypass it and just install a normal key switch.

Also for knobs in the dash, One has a T and one has a C. The C probably for choke. But the T ?? Timing or Throttle we would think, but both of these are in the steering.
    I can confirm the 3 lever in the steering are one for light switch, one for timing and one for throttle.
    So why the T on the control knob in the dash. I know the starter need a cable to get engaged. would it be one of the knobs?

Thanks for your help.

Alain
    alain.dehondt@hotmail.ca

Paging Doctor Rohrbach; paging Doctor Rohrbach; assistance needed in the Tech Talk section.

Great questions, Alain; and WELCOME to the Forum!
    We understandably don't get a barrage of questions on the prewar models and, while I can't personally answer your query, someone here can. Generally those with knowledge of these older cars are themselves older and frequent the internet less. Give 'em a little time and check back, unless you have set your preferences to receive email notices when a response is submitted.

There is also a page of the Antique Automobile Club Forum that is dedicated to primarily prewar Studebakers. It is not as active, but more focused prior to 1945.
    Last edited by rockne10; 04-10-2018, 05:38 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Perhaps it is part of the "Startix" starting system? (if so equipped)
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Alain62 View Post
        2 questions:
        I am restoring a 1929 Dictator. I am redoing the wiring right now. I'm trying to know why there is what they call a ''Timer'' behind the dash.
        Look like the power come there before getting distributed to coil and other places. Is this required or can I bypass it and just install a normal key switch.

Also for knobs in the dash, One has a T and one has a C. The C probably for choke. But the T ?? Timing or Throttle we would think, but both of these are in the steering.
        I can confirm the 3 lever in the steering are one for the light switch, one for timing and one for throttle.
        So why the T on the control knob in the dash. I know the starter need a cable to get engaged. would it be one of the knobs?

Thanks for your help.

Alain
        alain.dehondt@hotmail.ca
        Welcome to our forum Alain. Regarding your questions, although the folks with great knowledge about cars of your era are dwindling, there are some knowledgeable folks who participate here. Be patient, and hopefully someone will notice your questions and provide the information you are seeking. One thing that would be very helpful will be for you to take some pictures and post them. I have a vehicle with knobs that are identified with a "T" and a "C." One is a manual "Throttle," and the other a manual "Choke." On older vehicles, the steering wheel-mounted "Rabbit Ears,"was for timing advance (I think) before the vacuum advance mechanisms were added to distributors. Hopefully, someone with more informed detail will jump in and educate us.

Glad to have you with us, and to learn of another Studebaker being restored.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Although I am not a 1929 guy, I tried to look up info to answer the questions. I could not find anything to be help, in my limited 1929 literature.
          I think that we are going to have to wait until someone who actually owns one of that year and model gives the answers.
          You should definitely also post on the AACA
          Studebaker, Erskine & Rockne
          Forum.
          http://forums.aaca.org/forum/21-stud...rskine-rockne/

Also you want to join the Antique Studebaker Club. The information in the magazine is directly pointed to you.

Comment

Can you trace the course of the cable connected to the "T" knob? If it goes to the transmission perhaps it's actually an "F" for Freewheeling.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Is This Dictator a GL model ? If so I had one several years ago and I'm pretty sure there was no timer behind the dash. It was a running driving survivor , Ed

Comment

T is probably a hand throttle for using the crank to hand-start the car. I would expect a spark advance lever too.
                Somebody on the AACA forum will know of the top of their head. I hang out there but my '41 is a little too new for them.

Comment

Just a guess, but since you have confirmed that you have the three levers on the steering wheel, it won't be for a manual throttle, or and advance. It should be like my 31 80R, which has two dash mounted pull outs, the one marked "C" which is the choke and "H" for the manual heat-riser. My guess is that the "T" pull out in your car is for the H-R. You should be able to verify by tracing the cable to the exhaust manifold, where there should be a manual flapper valve, that works the same way as the spring loaded units, to aid in warm-ups. My guess is that the "T" originally indicated temperature, which probably created the same concerns when the car was new, as you are having today. I think the Studebaker changed the designate "H" for that reason.

Comment

Timer is old name for distributer or mag that made spark at correct time.

Comment

Thanks everyone for good suggestions, the car was really all apart and coming along, so I am guessing a lot and so far came a long way. The timer I am tallking about is an open solenoid with main power coming to it, then to switch on coil. I will still do some physical investigation tomorrow, was there good part of the day today.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180503_152022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1720708Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_140835_003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1720709 I will take some close up pics. On the coil itself, it has the contact switch at the base, and beside the cable that go to distributor, there are 3 screw terminal, one for gauge, one for timer and one says BAT. It was the switch integrated coil that mount behind the dash.

Comment

Alain, it looks like you are doing a super job of restoring that car!
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Gord. Have lots of pics in my album on Face Book.

Comment

Working...
                          X