Add on air conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Add on air conditioning

I am I need of solutions. I have installed an ac kit on my 62 Hawk.
    I mounted the Sanden type compressor on the generator Bracket as suggested on the forum and mounted the alternator above it driving the alternator with one belt from the compressor to the alternator and driving the compressor with one belt.
    The problem being one belt won't drive the set up above idle with only 150 lbs head pressure . I have power steerinng with a two belt grove pulley.I am stumped.
    Hawkowner

The combined horsepower draw of the AC and the alternator must be too much load for one belt. I have read the article that you referenced, and it must have worked for them. You might check the condition of the belt, and make sure that it is the right width for the pulleys. Beyond that, I am also stumped. I had planned on using a similar setup, so if you find a resolution, please post it. My car came with a third pulley on the crank, so I may just drive the compressor separately.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

You could try a wider belt, which would ride higher for more leverage, and would, "grab" better on the pulley sheave due to extra surface contact. I have ran AC on Stude V8s in several configurations, and have never had the problem you are having. I even use one belt on the 56J to pull the AC compressor, alternator, water pump and HD, 7-blade clutch fan. I use a a wider belt, and keep it tight, but no problems.

Comment

I used a spacer for 2 pulleys on the water pump. Put 3 pulleys on the crank. Put a 2 shiv pulley on the alternator. Now you can use 2 belts on the a/c and alternator. Space out the p/s pump to the outer crank pulley.

Comment

Buy the bracket kit and pulley from Vintage Air and be done it already.
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I looked on their web site they have no brackets for a Studebaker or I would have bought them.
            I have had two different widths of belt with same result.Begining to believe problem is in compressor or may be the expansion valve not allowing the extra flow as the rpm comes up and increases the volume.Vendor says one belt should handle the compressor
            Will advise.
            Hawkowner

Comment

Hi Hawkowner. I just installed a vintage air unit on my 62 GT Hawk and I can assure that VintageAir does have the brackets that were made to fit a Stude 289s with or without power steering. Pn# 151593- SSA for one with P/S, they also have a crankshaft pulley kit for the 289 pn# 735055-CSA.
              I would recommend that you call Andy at A Plus Rod and Kustom (812-897-6605) he is very knowledgeable about about aftermarket A/C installs in Studebakers.
              Mike Kelly
              Regional Manager
              Texas
              1963 Lark Cruiser
              1962 GT Hawk
              1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

Vintage Air kit on '64 Daytona convertible (no power steering). One belt was fine. Even the old York compressors had one-belt pulleys.
                Attached Files
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Vendor Cold Master has agreed to swap out compressor
                  Hawkowner

Comment

I have replaced the compressor and went back to a 1/2 in belt I changed the alternator pulley to larger 3 1/2 in pulley to take some of the alternator load off the compressor belt. The belt needs to be tight enough so that there is. No flop on the slack side of the belt when the clutch is engaged.
                    I looked at the belt wrap on the Vintage Air and there was a very little more wrap than using the compressor mounted in the generator position
                    Hawkowner

Comment

I have the same setup on my wagonaire and it works fine, one of the few things that does work good. Using the cog type belts. Only problem I've had was when I had to retighten the alt. It raised adjusting bracket and made a dent in my perfect hood.

Comment

Had the same problem but reworked Bracket so Alt would clear valve cover

Comment

Working...
                        X