Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virgil Marple Studebaker collection to be sold

Speedster Member
    The 53 and 55 Both are still for sale
    Last edited by abkco; 07-04-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
    Is the ‘53 a true Studillac without the supercharger or a clone as the website says?
    Virgil's '55 Studillac has a supercharger. The '53 does not.

The '53 was shipped to New York from the factory. A previous owner's Union College decals are still on the windows (he was class of '65). I don't know if the engine was a Bill Frick conversion or not, but the car was in the right part of the country and it does have a 1953 vintage 331" under the hood. It also has home-made traction bars that match all of the other known Frick cars.

The engine ran well when I had it, I'm sure it still does. The car's biggest issue is that it spent most of its life in New York, and then another 20 years under a lean-to right on the coast of Georgia. It's rusty.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    Virgil's '55 Studillac has a supercharger. The '53 does not.

The '53 was shipped to New York from the factory. A previous owner's Union College decals are still on the windows (he was class of '65). I don't know if the engine was a Bill Frick conversion or not, but the car was in the right part of the country and it does have a 1953 vintage 331" under the hood. It also has home-made traction bars that match all of the other known Frick cars.

The engine ran well when I had it, I'm sure it still does. The car's biggest issue is that it spent most of its life in New York, and then another 20 years under a lean-to right on the coast of Georgia. It's rusty.
    Bill Frick's son Bill Frick just joined the Studebaker Drivers Club. He resides in Green Valley Arizona and has been looking for one of his father's cars.

Bob Miles
    Different by Design
    Different by Delight!

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    Bill Frick's son Bill Frick just joined the Studebaker Drivers Club. He resides in Green Valley Arizona and has been looking for one of his father's cars.

Bob Miles
    Different by Design
    Different by Delight!
    Yep.. I put him onto a restored '54 in Atlanta (I haven't seen the car, only heard about it) and in his excitement he joined the club. He flew over with intent to buy it, but sadly it wasn't as nice as he expected. Wish I knew of another one to send his way. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a nice restored Bill Frick Studillac, anywhere.

President Member
    I wanted the 58 Packard station wagons but they wouldn't budge a penny much less a couple of grand. They just had way too much rust for the price. I will say this, Trevor was a very honest and forthright guy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
    I wanted the 58 Packard station wagons but they wouldn't budge a penny much less a couple of grand. They just had way too much rust for the price. I will say this, Trevor was a very honest and forthright guy to work with.
    If they don't sell within a few months, perhaps they will accept your offer?

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

I know they were all appraised and they are not moving off the appraisal price. That is why they are firm with the prices. They’ve already sold over 60 cars this way I’m told..

That is SO silly, considering it does not take a Classic Car 'Expert" to see that their "Appraiser's" Prices are just ALL over the place!

A Car with significant Studebaker Rarity and Collector value is cheap, others that are NOT or are in terrible condition are way too High.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Talked to Trever yesterday.
    The cars sold count is at 71 not counting parts cars sold that were not in the inventory.
    Apparently the prices have been agreeable with 71 people so far.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

President Member
    Any 56 wagons that you know of?

Speedster Member
    Nels, site shows only a 55 Conestoga wagon, one 57 Packard wagon and two 58 Packard wagons

Where are the cars located? An earlier post said "near Minneapolis". Independence, Mn is not near Minneapolis.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abkco View Post
    Nels, site shows only a 55 Conestoga wagon, one 57 Packard wagon and two 58 Packard wagons
    Thanks. Guess I should have checked that out.

Quote Originally Posted by 5brown1 View Post
    Where are the cars located? An earlier post said "near Minneapolis". Independence, Mn is not near Minneapolis.
    Independence is about 20 miles west of the cities. It’s close to Delano and Rockford.

President Member
    Did anyone else notice the script on the '57 Packard Clipper Wagon picture stated it was "Made in Canada"? Could this be correct as I have never heard of them being built here?
    Bill