6-volt electric fuel pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 6-volt electric fuel pump question

I have a 55 Speedster with the original 6-volt, positive ground setup. I start the car sporadically and have to crank it quite a bit to get fuel to the carb. I think it’s evaporation of the lousy gas we’re now forced to buy. All that being said I think a flow-thru, electric fuel pump is a solution.

Has anyone used the electric pump # 800249 listed in the Studebaker International catalog (pg#185). I prefer to buy from them whenever possible but the catalog info is sparse. I want to use the electric pump only to prime the carb and then shut it off to use the mechanical pump. Of course it needs to be positive ground and flow thru when not energized .

Thanks in advance, Murray
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

I did exactly what you want to do with a 1940s Dodge I once owned. It was installed as an auxiliary pump for start up and when I engaged the four barrel carb on the V8 I had installed in it. It was a flow thru type and it was off most of the time. It is recommended that the pump is wired through an oil pressure switch so that it will only work if there is oil pressure. This has some pluses and minuses, if the engine is not running the pump will not work, the plus is if the engine is stopped because of an accident the fuel pump will also stop. The manual switch should perhaps have a light installed to indicate it is on. A leaking needle and seat could full your crankcase full of gasoline if it was left on. This has happened. It could also be wired through the ignition switch to prevent accidental actuation. I start my engine at long intervals and prime with a small squeeze bottle with about one ounce of fuel with no issues. I don't think the fuel pumps are ground sensitive the power goes to a solenoid that actuates a bellows through a set of points I don't think the solenoid cares if pos or neg ground.

Comment

You could also wire a push button switch to prime the system before cranking the engine. I would do this if you wire the pump through an oil pressure switch.

Comment

I installed an electric fuel pump, with a momentary switch next to the starter pull-switch on my '51 with automatic drive. It receives power from the ignition circuit but only runs if my finger is on the momentary switch; no need to run it through an oil pressure sensor. It is only used for priming the carburetor. Mine is a spring-loaded toggle operating in either direction but a simple push button would suffice. It was installed long before SI listed one in their catalog, so I can't remark on that item.
        I did also resort to giving it a push once when choking while climbing a mountain. If you need to resort to the electric pump for fuel supply while driving, it should be wired through the oil pressure sensor.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090320.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1720251
        Last edited by rockne10; 04-09-2018, 08:15 PM.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have to install a additional electrical fuel pump to my commander too.
          I prefer the solution of rockne10 due to the fact, that I only need a sufficent fuel flow and pressure to start the engine. When the engine is running, the mechanical pump provides enough fuel.
          Here you can find some informations about the fuel pump:
          Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 6 Volt Fuel Pump Cadillac CHRYSLER Chevrolet Dodge Ford Mercury Lincoln Pontiac at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Martin

Comment

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Murray
            Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me, all these guys using electric fuel pumps. I’ve never had a problem in over 40 years with my antiques running stock pumps including Studebaker’s and V8 Fords. Get the original equipment working properly and you won’t have issues.

Clean your tanks, replace the fuel lines and hoses, rebuild your carbs and fuel pumps with modern materials. My 57 Commander and 36 Ford both sit 4-6 weeks in the off season and start within 20 seconds, no priming.
              Last edited by tim333; 04-11-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X