Thread: 50 Commander

Champion Member

50 Commander

My first Stude.
    I found this on Craigslist with the idea that I wanted a 50's car, within 200 miles, and under a certain amount. Damn if this was just right.

1950 Studebaker Commander
    327 small block with Turbo 350 automatic
    Paint = 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage "Plasma Purple" (which is growing on me)

Front.jpgRightside.jpgLeftside.jpgEngine.jpg

The previous owner salvaged this and added the engine/transmission.
    Found1.jpg

My first steps are:
    1. replace U-joints (drive shaft rebuild kit on the way)
    2. Convert the lever type front shocks to air shocks (ala 50 Champion style)
    3. Correct drivers side exhaust for more clearance from steering reach arm.

I have always loved the 50/51 styling!
    Last edited by DTHolder; 04-08-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Granted the colour may not be to most folks liking, I'm sure it is striking in real life. I'm digging the fact that you're stoked with your ride, and I love the old school 327 being painted in that oh-so-beautiful chubby orange. Drive the wheels off of it, and enjoy! Regarding that remote oil filter install, I'm sure that is there to give more reach rod/exhaust clearance, but isn't it messy pulling the filter off to change it? Just wondering. cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Champion Member
    The remote oil filter has already need removed and the filter is in the original location. The filter "requires" a slight indentation so that it clears the pitman arm connection to the reach arm.

We are currently realigning the drive's side exhaust to clear the full extent of the reach arm. Basically when the steering approaches the full extent (left or right) the reach arm moves towards the center line of the car. This is "aggressively rubbing" the exhaust pipe. By currently - I am typing this while we are waiting for the weld to cool.