Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Film Noir aficionados - I Love Trouble -A true gem

Hi folks,
    I’ve just watched this 1948 movie yesterday and found it so good that I thought I would share it with all the connoisseurs around here. Moreover, it was supposedly lost for decades and never run on TV.
    As usual, it is about an (half) hard-boiled private eye based in LA played by Franchot Tone toying around with felons, cops and femmes fatales. You’ll even spot a young Raymond Burr! But, this fast paced picture is so well written and played that I have to rate it as high as The Big Sleep! Moreover, you’ll get some nice shots of the town and very interesting views of Venice’s oil fields, 10 years before A Touch Of Evil.
    In fact, what makes it so special is that Roy Huggins wrote the story and what we have here is the forerunner of what he’ll do 25 years later: The Rockford Files. Jim Rockford could have uttered the humorous lines delivered here as well. I can’t help to imagine what Jim Garner would have made with such a vehicle. This one would have been much better that its Marlowe.
    Sorry for being so dithyrambic about it but I felt compelled to do so. If you want to watch it, you ‘ll find it here: https://archive.org/details/I_Love_Trouble_movie
    Don’t be deterred by the first shots as the film has somewhat badly aged. It is really worth seeing.
    Nice day to all.
    sigpic

Another movie, from 1952, is more of a cold war political intrigue movie, starring Dana Andrews and George Sanders among others - not another Casablanca but interesting. Called "Assignment Paris", available on Youtube:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Looks to me like a bulletnose parked on the street in the opening scene with the Eiffel tower in the background, but I can't be sure because it is partly hidden behind a tree.
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
      Another movie, from 1952, is more of a cold war political intrigue movie, starring Dana Andrews and George Sanders among others - not another Casablanca but interesting. Called "Assignment Paris", available on Youtube:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Looks to me like a bulletnose parked on the street in the opening scene with the Eiffel tower in the background, but I can't be sure because it is partly hidden behind a tree.
      Thanks, I'll have a look at this one too. Unfortunately, I did not spot any Studebaker in the foreground. The hero drives a 1947 Ford Tudor De Luxe.
      Last edited by christophe; 04-06-2018, 01:24 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Another gem in a similar genre is the 1944 film, Ministry of Fear. Haven't seen it in years, but worth looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
          Thanks, I'll have a look at this one too. Unfortunately, I did not spot any Studebaker in the foreground. The hero drives a 1947 Ford Tudor De Luxe.
          Parking lamps below the headlamps: This is a late 1947 or 1948 Ford Deluxe Tudor.

Comment

We just watched the recommended movie in post #1. Thank you for that. We enjoyed it. I wonder how much more detail we would have seen on a big screen before the film aged. We were not able to predict any of the developments. It was fun. Tomorrow we will watch the one recommended in post #2.

Comment

Thank you very much for letting me know, robert. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X