Thread: best place to buy avanti rear springs

Champion Member

best place to buy avanti rear springs

looking to replace the rear springs on my 75 avanti where is the best place to look
    I tried the fiberglass guy's talked to them several times, they said 6wks out several times, no help
    so who do I need to call??? and regular or "heavy duty" not a racer just a driver
    thanks in advance, good info here..
    d.

President Member
    I would try Eaton-Detroit Spring ph : 313-963-3839. I would go with standard springs ; I do not think you would like the ride of HD springs

I'd call Dave 'T' for personalized service and experience. I had a bad experience with Eaton-Detroit a few years ago when I ordered rear springs for a 62GT. They were garbage, and the car would bottom out on a cow paddy. The, "expert" on the other end insisted I should just trust him and be happy with his springs. I re-used and added the longest leaf from the old springs in order to make the car sit and ride better, but it still does not compare to the springs I put under the 63GT, bought from Dave 'T'. NEVER AGAIN will I do business with E-D.

OTOH, from Dave 'T' I have bought several pairs of Stude rear springs over the years, for GTs and 56Js, and have never been disappointed. He is the only guy I will buy Stude leaf springs from. My experience with E-D was a joke, unfortunately.

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    We used the fiberglass springs from somewhere in South Carolina (I think ?),and had very good service from them. Really good ride and performance from them in the '63 Avanti. Bill

President Member
    Try Palmer Spring in Providence, RI. They have specs on rear leaf springs going back to the 1800's for about anything.

http://www.palmer-spring.com/

Silver Hawk Member
    I went to my local truck parts supplier and they had a listing for the Avanti. I ordered them and the cost was reasonable and because they came in with a larger load the shipping was very low. They are on my 74 currently.

It helps these guys are helpful as hell and enjoyed working with a car guy. The way I found them was they were making a set of spring perch u-bolts for me when the conversation turned to car needs.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    I had my '64 Avanti fitted with five leaf HD springs at Anderson Spring in Belmore, LI NY. $350.00 installed. Best to find a local spring place near you that does truck springs, they will have all the equipment and materials you will need.
    Quote Originally Posted by dogkiller View Post
    looking to replace the rear springs on my 75 avanti where is the best place to look
    I tried the fiberglass guy's talked to them several times, they said 6wks out several times, no help
    so who do I need to call??? and regular or "heavy duty" not a racer just a driver
    thanks in advance, good info here..
    d.

I just bought leaf springs from Detroit eaton online and they were spot on perfect.
    Excellent service.
    Shipping was fast (Fed-Ex).
    Price was fair.
    Have bought several sets and styles and marques from Detroit Eaton and never had any problems.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I agree with JOEHALL about Dave Thibeault. I am now restoring my 4th car; sold the first. Dave is always able to supply or out source the best of the best. More important, is his knowledge and available time to talk on the phone & if needed will speak to the mechanic or body shop owner without complaint.

Champion Member
    talked to dave t great experience! answered my questions & had what I needed
    thanks again for the help
    d.

President Member
    And again Dave gets it done !

talked to dave t great experience! answered my questions & had what I needed
    thanks again for the help
    d.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

President Member
    Not to diminish or demean anyone, least of all Dave "T"...........but it is rare I see the name of the one individual who actually has more real world experience with Studes than anyone currently "working" as vendor in the hobby.......and, with well over 55 years of wrench turning experience......that individual is Jon Myer. I am not his theatrical agent (LOL), only an individual was has for more years than I can remember, been well served and guided with his knowledge and insightful conversations. Many times my mechanic has been stomped by a situation, a call to Jon served to illuminate and guide an otherwise excellent mechanic.......with little Studebaker experience.......to a successful conclusion, bringing smiles to all parties involved. Just wanted to toss in my two cents worth as to Mr. Myers on-going support to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
    We used the fiberglass springs from somewhere in South Carolina (I think ?),and had very good service from them. Really good ride and performance from them in the '63 Avanti. Bill

Whats the advantage of the fiberglass springs? Weight? Ride, Both? What other mods are needed?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

I have the composite leaf springs on my '70 Avanti. They cost roughly the same as steel but are much lighter...about eight pounds apiece vs. about forty-five pounds apiece for steel. They won't rust and are supposed to last longer. When I obtained mine from Flex-a-Form they had only one model...now I understand you can order them in several spring rates depending on your needs.

The only downside I can see with them is that while taking weight out of an Avanti is a good thing, the composite leaf springs take weight off the wrong end of the car. Avantis have a heavy front weight bias and the lighter springs probably make that a bit worse. Still...I feel they're a positive additional as they ride just as well and do help with weight reduction.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Champion Member
    fiberglass springs are way lighter & no internal friction that's why I wanted them but couldn't get them to make me a set, I gave up after 4 phone calls
    d.

Silver Hawk Member
    I wanted them but couldn't get them to make me a set, I gave up after 4 phone calls d.
    Who was the unresponsive company; just so anyone else seeking same won't waste his time?

jack vines
    Obsolete Engineering Division
    of Mager Engine
    PackardV8

President Member
    Thanks for the heads-up on Eaton!

President Member
    I think Bob Peterson has a good used pair. Give him a try as he's a good guy who has helped me out several times.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Bill

Champion Member
    the company was flex-form they were not unresponsive, they talked to me every time I called just couldn't get them to make springs
    maybe they just have too much other work??

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    What Flex Form probably does is make a small batch of whatever spring they need for an order and a small amount of stock. That may take a while to get done as they probably have other work to do that's more pressing. When we got our springs from them it took about a month and a half, which we were OK with as we didn't need them ASAP. They are definitely worth the hassle in my opinion. Bill

It took less than two weeks for Flex-a-Form to get new leaf springs to me, but that was about ten years ago. I've no idea their wait time now.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.