Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the failure mode for aged tires?

Silver Hawk Member
    I've always been a fan of JD Black and consumed same until a couple of years ago. I've now switched to Evan Williams Black which is similar and much less expensive.

I have several friends that enjoy Bourbons like Knob Creek etc. for the nuances but I just can't get into them. I guess I need a bourbon that grabs you but the throat and says "There's nothing better than me".

Bob
    , ,

I was driving a 1959 Pontiac Bonneville this last Monday here in wintery Ontario and the right front tire blew out while doing 55MPH after I hit a minor bump in the frost heaved pavement. After changing it and checking the other 3 is when I noticed they were all cracked in the sidewalls. Called a flatbed and had her towed
    Last edited by avanti-hawk; 04-19-2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: to add picture

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
    The born on date of manufacture is posted on the tire wall. Seven years is the max when it comes to safety. If there's no born on date on the tire you should have chucked it years ago. Better safe than sorry. I change my tires on all my vehicles every five years no matter how good they seen to appear.
    6 years ago I spent over $1000.00 for some great looking Diamond back tires. Now after 600 miles on them I'm supposed to throw them away because they make them out of such crappy material??? If I were to do that, the cost per mile for these tires would be $1.67.

If that truly is the case then we should all go on line and buy the cheapest tires we can find or go to Walmart and find a $50.00 tire. So lets all save money and forget about appearance. We're CASO​s so can we all really afford to do this?
    don

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHawk View Post

If that truly is the case then we should all go on line and buy the cheapest tires we can find or go to Walmart and find a $50.00 tire. So lets all save money and forget about appearance. We're CASO​s so can we all really afford to do this?
    Cheap tires? That's what I've been using for the past 30 years. Wal*Mart, Discount tire, whatever is cheapest. I've never had a tire failure, They turn and stop like any other tires, and last as many miles.

Regardless of the advertising hoopla, tires are low tech things made of rubber and cord. No secrets there.

Your money, your choice.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHawk View Post
    6 years ago I spent over $1000.00 for some great looking Diamond back tires. Now after 600 miles on them I'm supposed to throw them away because they make them out of such crappy material??? If I were to do that, the cost per mile for these tires would be $1.67.
    100 miles a year? Sounds like you need to drive your car more.

Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    100 miles a year? Sounds like you need to drive your car more.
    That's what I keep telling my wife..
    don

Speedster Member
    I know this is an older post, but I got about 200 miles out of brand new looking tires from the 80's before they started to separate. I found a non Studebaker p/u that was built in the early 70's, driven about 10k and stored. Sometime in the 80's (by the DOT number on the tires) it got new tires, then stored again. I found it, bought it, got it running and stopping again and then well drove it.....a lot. Then one time cruising around I had shimmy that was getting worse, pulled into a parking lot and heard the air escaping......luckily I just put in a jack and spare tire.

Speedster Member
    Saturday went to Discount Tires to have the wheels with tires already mounted put back on the Highlander. These wheels have been sitting in the warehouse for the last 4 years & if I had to guess, there were maybe 5,000 miles on this set. DT wouldn't mount them because they were mfgd in 2006. They won't touch any tire that's 10 years old.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson