Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the failure mode for aged tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avanti-hawk View Post
    Yes old age is the prime factor here. But bear with me, I do recall vividly the amount of blow outs, and failures I experienced back in the day of those tiny 14's.
    Mostly on full size GM & Ford's. I take full responsibility for driving too hard and fast over rough roads, RR tracks and high speed cornering in junk cars back in the 70's. Maybe I've gotten far too cosy with 18 to 20 inch wheels on my Dodge Chargers and monster heavy Escalade with no such occurences.
    When you say "...I experienced back in the day of those tiny 14's.", I was thinking of the late 1950s and 1960s when I drove a lot of new and late model cars with 14 inch wheels very hard and at high speeds (excess of 100 mph). I do not recall one blow out. Then you speak of; "...junk cars back in the 70's." Those wheels/tires were probably well worn out and aged at that time. Last you refer to; "...18 to 20 inch wheels...". These must be on new or nearly new cars (and SUV/truck chassis). These are not valid comparisons. Also, throw in the advances in tires/wheels/suspensions in the past 60 years.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Speaking of big cars, I never had a problem with the 14 inch wheels & 225x70's on my big block '66 VIP.
      No hubcap walk, no nuthin!

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
        Speaking of big cars, I never had a problem with the 14 inch wheels & 225x70's on my big block '66 VIP.
        This may make sense as the leverage to bend a 14'' wheel will be greater than a 15'' . I have a car with 14'' bias ply white walls that look great still have good tread and have no cracks. Now this might get some comments but makes a statement as to how long some bias plies will last because they have been on the car since 1968, so they are 50 years old. Next time I get the car out I'll check the brand.
        don

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
          One of the examples that I was thinking of in my reply was my 1965 Sport Fury with hipo 383 that I purchased new and put 27K miles on in the first nine months.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by GTHawk View Post
            This may make sense as the leverage to bend a 14'' wheel will be greater than a 15'' . I have a car with 14'' bias ply white walls that look great still have good tread and have no cracks. Now this might get some comments but makes a statement as to how long some bias plies will last because they have been on the car since 1968, so they are 50 years old. Next time I get the car out I'll check the brand.
            The life cycle of bias ply versus steel belted radial is like apples and oranges.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              The life cycle of bias ply versus steel belted radial is like apples and oranges.
              You got that right. It makes a person think we should keep using Bia plies on these low milage cars. They don't lose wheel covers, last a lot longer, and don't flex the wheels plus they are authentic. On this car if we followed the formula for radial tire life (6 years) there would have been 8 sets of like new tires discarded during this time.
              don

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                When you say "...I experienced back in the day of those tiny 14's.", I was thinking of the late 1950s and 1960s when I drove a lot of new and late model cars with 14 inch wheels very hard and at high speeds (excess of 100 mph). I do not recall one blow out. Then you speak of; "...junk cars back in the 70's." Those wheels/tires were probably well worn out and aged at that time. Last you refer to; "...18 to 20 inch wheels...". These must be on new or nearly new cars (and SUV/truck chassis). These are not valid comparisons. Also, throw in the advances in tires/wheels/suspensions in the past 60 years.
                Ok, I had used cars in the early 70's,mostly late 50's, all 60's and a few early 70's. Not new. Lucky for you that you never had a blow out. Yes the cars with 18'-20' are modern cars. The point of my post was my observance of far less tire problems now vs. 1970's. I do drive quite a few old cars (50+) and age is a problem for tires. But so are other factors.
                Irregardless to what I post you seem to find fault, so I'll refrain in the future from commenting.

Comment

Don't be discouraged by diverging comments. We all have our experiences and opinions. The purpose of a forum is to allow everybody to comment. We can all learn from each other even if we disagree on why things might happen. The truth usually becomes apparent after we all discuss it for a few days!

Besides you might be more expert in the next subject coming up.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                  X