Free Range Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Range Kids

This was a blurb in the WSJ Friday and I heartily agree. When I grew up kids were much freer than today and our generation turned out pretty good. It's simple, kids need to get out and learn by themselves sometimes or they will be crippled as adults, way to afraid of life to actually live life. In the Summer I left the house to play in the morning and had to be around for supper; it's a little controversial but I think I turned out ok. Kids need to be kids and make their own mistakes because mistakes are the part of life where you learn something.

Murray

Parents, You Can Stop Helicoptering

A new Utah law means they no longer need to fear the cops if they let kids walk to school alone.
    By Lenore Skenazy

March 29, 2018 6:59 p.m. ET 100 COMMENTS
    If you send your kid out to play in the park for an hour, or buy a carton of milk, or even walk to school, guess what? If you’re in Utah, you won’t get arrested for negligence. Woo hoo!
    You don’t have to worry about a trial, fines, mandatory parenting classes, jail time or even losing custody, all thanks to a new law passed unanimously by the Utah Legislature and signed this month by Gov. Gary Herbert. It goes into effect in May. It’s called the Free-Range Parents Law, named after the movement I started, Free-Range Kids.
    I’m the New York mom who let her 9-year-old ride the subway alone and wrote a columnabout it for the late, great New York Sun. That was 10 years ago April 1 (and no, it wasn’t a joke). Two days later I found myself on NBC’s “Today” show, MSNBC, Fox News Channel and National Public Radio. The hosts all asked the same question: “But Lenore, how would you have felt if he never came home?”
    Well, I did have a spare son at home. But seriously, that very question was the reason parents were going crazy with worry. Paranoia about abduction by strangers—among the rarest of crimes—was the whole reason kids were being supervised every second. The No. 1 cause of death for children is car accidents. Yet you don’t hear talk-show hosts saying: “Oh my God, you drove your son to the dentist? How would you have felt if you got T-boned by a truck?”

I started the Free-Range Kids blog the weekend after the media firestorm, to explain that I am all for safety. I love helmets, car seats, seat belts. If you’re having a baby, my shower gift is a fire extinguisher. But I let my son go out into the big wide world without me because that’s what kids, certainly 9-year-olds, have been doing since the beginning of time.
    Parents, You Can Stop Helicoptering
    ILLUSTRATION: CHAD CROWE

It’s good for them. When you’re on your own, you develop curiosity, bravery and self-reliance. I am almost positive that you, dear reader, spent part of your own childhood—the best part, most likely—running around your neighborhood, hanging out with friends, playing games, riding your bike, and staying out till the streetlights came on. If that was in the ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, or ’90s, it was actually less safe then than it is now. The crime rate today is back to what it was before color TV. And it’s down not because we’re helicoptering kids. The crime rate against adults is down too, and we don’t “helicopter” them—at least once they’ve finished college.

If it wasn’t negligent for our parents to let us play outside when the crime rate was higher, it certainly shouldn’t be considered negligent now, should it? Yet somehow it is.
    Over the years I have received many emails from parents, usually moms, usually time-stamped around 3 a.m., that go something like this:
    “Dear Lenore, I am shaking. Today I let my child [go to the park / walk to the pizza parlor / wait in the car for three minutes], and someone called 911. Now Child Protective Services is coming to investigate me. I love my children more than anything. They are my whole life. Are they going to be taken away?”

Kari Anne Roy of Austin, Texas, let her 6-year-old son play about 150 feet from her house. A lady marched him home, rang the bell, and yelled at Ms. Roy for not supervising him. The stranger also called the authorities. A week later, Child Protective Services arrived to interview each of Ms. Roy’s kids separately. Her 8-year-old daughter was asked if she’d seen movies with people’s private parts—something she’d never heard of. “Thank you, Child Protective Services,” said Ms. Roy.

In Evanston, Ill., Julie Koehler was driving her three daughters, 8, 5 and 4, to a bouncy house when she stopped at Starbucks . She let the girls wait in the van for three minutes and returned to find a cop threatening to have her kids taken away. A Child Protective Services worker arrived the next day and demanded the girls be examined by a doctor for signs of abuse.
    Wallingford, Conn., mom Maria Hasankolli overslept one morning and her son missed the bus, so he decided to walk the two miles to school. When police were alerted to an 8-year-old outside on his own, they raced over, drove him the rest of the way, then went to his home and arrested Ms. Hasankolli—in handcuffs.

The Utah law redefines neglect to exclude letting kids walk to school, play outside, remain briefly in a vehicle under certain conditions, stay at home as a latchkey kid, or engage in any “similar independent activity.” It adds that children should be of “sufficient age and maturity to avoid harm or unreasonable risk of harm,” which could leave the door open for overzealous officials. But clearly the law leans in the direction of giving Free-Range parents the benefit of the doubt.

In America, we keep talking about how we need to raise a generation of kids who are smart, resilient problem-solvers ready to take on the chaotic, robotic economy ahead. We can’t do it by standing always by their side, solving all their problems.

It is not negligent to believe our kids are ready for the childhood independence that made us who we are. It is negligent to deprive them of it.

Ms. Skenazy is president and co-founder of the new nonprofit Let Grow.
    Appeared in the March 30, 2018, print edition.
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

When I was 11, I rode the bus with my likewise young friend to catch the “L” train in the “bad” neighborhood (translated Colored) to go to White Sox games. Never a problem, I grew up normal with no racist thoughts or feelings either. Trip was probably over an hour, about 20 miles.

Comment

Yup. By the time I was in junior high, I was pretty much free as a bird. I had my scrapes (over 100 stitches one summer), but no lasting damage was done and I grew up to be an honest citizen. Probably the worst thing I did in the neighborhood was step on one of Mrs. Fisher's tomato plants one summer night while playing "Capture the flag" with the local kids.

But today things just seem more crazy.... Case in point: A pal's grandson who was always an obedient child making straight A's succumbed to the blandishments of his best friends, and stole a car for a joyride. Totaled it, and put both his pals in the hospital. Now he's grounded for life, and his parents are worried to death about the lawsuit and traffic court.

This would have been unthinkable in my youth. I just wouldn't have done anything so foolish.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Its a prime case of others who like to stick their noses into other people's business, even though they themselves aren't being harmed: http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouv...velopment.html

I started riding the bus independently since I was 9, and was not the only one at that age who also rode public transit without one or both parents.

Craig

Comment

I think we're stumbling from "The Greatest Generation" to youngsters with no sense of self or self-confidence.

After I think that I remember that understanding youth is an old problem as Socrates stated so well.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
          households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." SOCRATES
          Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Stall: I couldn't agree with you more. The generation of children today have learned their bad habits from the generation of children we fathered and raised and what we taught them and passed onto their children. Judging by what I guess is the age of most of the posters in here. So who's fault might this really be if this current generation of children is suppose to be so bad.

John S.
            Last edited by Packard53; 03-30-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Well, I would like to think I am a decent human being and also self-reliant. I do my own laundry, homework, cooking, etc. so we are not all (supposedly) horrid. I agree, though, that the phenomena of the "helicopter parent" is one that must be halted ASAP. The only way this can happen, though, is though en-masse community participation.
              Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I don't remember child abductions and rape and MS13 gangs and terrorists and mass shootings to be as likely as they are today. Seems to me the world was a lot safer then as it is these days. If I had children today I would be very concerned about their safety. The lack of parenting concern is not something I can endorse in today's volatile climate.

Comment

There has more or less always been gangs and abductions...there's no excuse for it regardless of generation. Today with our 24-hour news cycle we hear about things that were previously mostly of local interest rather than national or international. What used to be a mention on the inside pages of the newspaper are now major stories on all the networks. Remember the Malaysian airliner that disappeared? That's all we heard about for weeks with any number of explanations from reasonable to wild...they found nothing else to talk about.

At one time when a major incident occurred abroad it took a couple of days before the photos and film of it got back to the US and the government had some time to come up with a response. Now it's instantaneous when we see and hear about it and people want answers and a response from our government before the authorities can even gather the facts to make decisions with.

While in no way am I excusing the outrages and criminal acts being done today that gather so much attention, it's essentially nothing new...we're hearing more about it, and politics and politicians, being what it and they are...are more concerned about issues than solutions.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

In my day we had nightly news on 3 channels and the radio. Now we have news on multiple channels, the internet, and the radio - 24/7. It just seems worse, for the most part.
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                      In my day we had nightly news on 3 channels and the radio. It just seems worse, for the most part.
                      Today, the most violent 'program' on television is the Nightly News! Worst part, its all real; unlike the shows that have violent scenes in it!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X