Dale McPhearson's Funeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dale McPhearson's Funeral

For those interested, here's some photos of our friend Dale McPhearson's funeral this afternoon. (Lest anyone think posting the photos is inappropriate or invasive, Dale's son Barry "Son-o-Lark" encouraged me to do so.)

The funeral was heavily "Studebaker," as you might imagine...the minister who spoke grew up in South Bend / Mishawaka. His grandfather had assembled front wheel brake and bearing assemblies on the Studebaker truck assembly line!

Click images to enlarge:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0039[2].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1757580

Studes lined up for the procession. Not a lot; the weather was iffy:

Name:	DSCN0018[1].jpg
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1757571

A 1940 LaSalle Hearse owned by Goodwin Funeral Home is used for special occasions such as this. Here, Dale "boards" for his last ride...sadly, not in a Studebaker, but at least a collector "car." Barry "Son-O-Lark" McPhearson is at this end of the casket. The casket is adorned with an American Flag because Dale was a 23-year career Navy Veteran. Full Military Honors would be tendered at the cemetery.

Name:	DSCN0020[1].jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1757572

The procession leaves for the cemetery. Barry "Son-O-Lark" is driving Dale's unrestored 1939 Champion Coupe:

Name:	DSCN0023[1].jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1757573

Did we say unrestored? Yep; check out the original Purdue University (Go Purdue!) Student Parking Permits from the early 1960s!

Name:	DSCN0011[1].jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1757574

At the cemetery, Dale's casket passes between the American and Navy Flags. Barry still at the rear. The young man (pall bearer) in the center of the casket on the far side is Dale's grandson, who later played taps:

Name:	DSCN0029[1].jpg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1757575

Casket is positioned over the grave:

Name:	DSCN0030[1].jpg
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1757576

Three loud volleys of 7 guns for a 21-Gun Salute followed, after which a bugler played taps. The bugler was Dale's grandson.

Name:	DSCN0031[1].jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1757577

Ironically, and from the Small World Dept, the two riflemen on the right side are brothers, John and Loyd (yes, one "L") Bonecutter from the Honor Guard unit of the Sheridan IN American Legion Post.

John and Loyd volunteered for this assignment not knowing the name of the deceased Veteran. But John and Loyd are friends of mine who both owned Studebakers back in the day. In fact, to this day, Loyd owns the 1955 Champion Regal Coupe I bought as a 16-year-old in 1963 to "restore." It's well-worn and I haven't seen it in 40 years, but Loyd assures me it's inside in a new, good, tight garage. Imagine running into both of them today at Dale's funeral.

The flag was appropriately folded for presentation to Dale's Children. Someone will have to post the rank of the Officer folding the flag; I don't profess to know the meaning of all those stripes and bars.

Name:	DSCN0034[1].jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1757578

The folded flag is presented to Dale and Barb McPhearson's four children, all shown in this photo. From the left, youngest son Tom, son Barry "Son-O-Lark," having received the flag for the family, daughter Colleen, and daughter Heather on the far right:

Name:	DSCN0035[1].jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1757579

Our dear friend, career Navy Veteran and die-hard Studebaker lover Dale Lee McPhearson, was laid to rest in The Garden of Honor section of the cemetery, dedicated to all Veterans who have served The United States of America and their spouses. Most of "us" were here in 2014, when Barbara was laid to rest immediately next to what is now Dale's grave.

(I tried to post a photo of the nice, brass Garden of Honor plaque, but the forum limits us to ten photos per post, so see Post #2, below. )

RIP, Dale. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-29-2018, 05:17 PM. Reason: corrected bugler's relationship to Dale, per Barry.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

There's more than one way to skin a cat , so here's a second post with the photo I would have liked to include in the opening group:

Name:	DSCN0036[2].jpg
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	1720116

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thank you Bob for the posting of the procession and ceremony pictures. Dale's grandson did indeed play Taps. I was a bit worried about the weather, but it held off. The folks that did bring their cars were greatly appreciated. To Bob, Ted, Wayne: He thought of you guys as his best friends and my family loves all you and your spouse's as if you are our family. Here is one of my father's favorite jokes---- You know how ducks and geese fly in a V formation, do you know why one side is longer than the other?--------There are more birds on that side.

Comment

BP
        Does it get any better than to leave a legacy such as this? I wish I could have had the pleasure to have had the acquaintance of Dale. You are truly blessed.
        I participated in my father in laws' Military Funeral in South Dakota and it is a moving memory I will never forget.
        Thank you for your wonderful post, and best regards to Barry "Son-O-Lark" and Dale's entire family. Even those of us who never had the pleasure to meet him, will miss his never ending wit and humor on this Forum. Dale was very special.
        R.I.P. Dale and Thank You for Your Service.
        Bill​

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

The flag was appropriately folded for presentation to Dale's Children. Someone will have to post the rank of the Officer folding the flag; I don't profess to know the meaning of all those stripes and bars.
          The Navy officer folding the flag is a Supply Corps Lieutenant Commander (bean counter). The officer who handed the flag to the family is a Line Lieutenant Commander (ship driver). Lieutenant Commander in the Navy is equivalent to Major in the Army/Air Force/Marines.

Not that it's exactly the same, but the funeral home owner who bought my '53 Commander Starliner personally restored a '48 Packard hearse and he makes it available for funerals upon request.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
            The Navy officer folding the flag is a Supply Corps Lieutenant Commander (bean counter). The officer who handed the flag to the family is a Line Lieutenant Commander (ship driver). Lieutenant Commander in the Navy is equivalent to Major in the Army/Air Force/Marines.
            Excellent, Paul, thanks for that information. I knew someone on the forum could fill those blanks.

Buzzard, you're right: It was a privilege to personally know Dale McPhearson for some 40-odd years! BP

Comment

I am saddened that I never got to meet Dale and will miss his wit here. It is heartwarming that he was honored in a proper & respectful way, one that I would have wished for him.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Dale. It's going to be a sad drive to South Bend this may knowing I won't see dale, but it will be good to see you back up on all twos ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by BobWaitz View Post
                  Thanks for posting this, Dale. It's going to be a sad drive to South Bend this may knowing I won't see dale, but it will be good to see you back up on all twos ;-)
                  Bob, I'm sure you didn't intend to thank Dale for the post...or is there something I don't know? Is he back? BP

Comment

Oops! Thanks, Bob!

Comment

Just looking in here, this 10th day of May 2018. Sorry to hear of Lark's passing, but he always had a heavy foot! Rest easy, Dale. We'll visit later.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                      X