Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP: Dale McPhearson (Obituary Added in Post#1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Dale McPhearson (Obituary Added in Post#1)

So sorry to report that one of our dearest Studebaker friends, Dale "Lark Parker" McPhearson of Frankfort IN, succumbed to his multiple medical issues early Saturday morning, March 24, 2018.

Obituary and Funeral Service information here:

Dale Lee McPhearson, 79, a resident of Frankfort, passed away March 24, 2018 at his...

Dale had been home ailing for some time, so this was not unexpected...but as his son Barry said, "God Speed Dale to the top of the hill." Tears are welling up as I type this; Dale was a fine friend of many years and will be greatly missed. Here's some happy photos. Click to enlarge:

Dale, left, with Ted Harbit from a few years ago:

Click image for larger version

Name:	daleandted.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1757553

Holding Court at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race (blue sweatshirt):

Name:	dalesept2005.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1757554

Relaxing after a fast run in his famous blue "Possum Smasher" at the annual Newport IN Antique Auto Hill Climb:

Name:	dalenewport94.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1757555

Arrangements are with Goodwin Funeral Home in Frankfort IN. They may be seen in the link above.

God Speed indeed, Dale.

RIP, freind. Bob & Cari Palma
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-26-2018, 01:21 PM. Reason: added obituary
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    So sorry to report that one of our dearest Studebaker friends, Dale "Lark Parker" McPhearson of Frankfort IN, succumbed to his multiple medical issues early Saturday morning, March 24, 2018.

(I received an e-mail from his son Barry, "Son-O-Lark" here on the forum, this morning; Saturday, March 24, at 8:00 AM local time. The date stamp was 11:04 AM. Barry said his Dad passed away "this morning," so it may have been Friday morning, what with the international time stamps used on the forum. So the actual day may be corrected shortly.)

Dale had been home ailing for some time, so this was not unexpected...but as Barry said, "God Speed Dale to the top of the hill." Tears are welling up as I type this; Dale was a fine friend of many years and will be greatly missed.

Arrangements will be made with Goodwin Funeral Home in Frankfort IN. I'll post those as soon as they're available.

God Speed indeed, Dale. RIP, freind. Bob & Cari Palma
    OMG. So sorry to hear this. Whenever I'm down in the dumps I go and read some of his hilarious posts.I think I'll do that right now.
    RIP Lark Parker.
    Condolences to the family.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

(I received an e-mail from his son Barry, "Son-O-Lark" here on the forum, this morning; Saturday, March 24, at 8:00 AM local time. The date stamp was 11:04 AM. Barry said his Dad passed away "this morning," so it may have been Friday morning, what with the international time stamps used on the forum. So the actual day may be corrected shortly.)

Dale had been home ailing for some time, so this was not unexpected...but as Barry said, "God Speed Dale to the top of the hill." Tears are welling up as I type this; Dale was a fine friend of many years and will be greatly missed. Here's a happy photo of Dale (left) and Ted Harbit from "a few years ago." Click to enlarge:

Arrangements will be made with Goodwin Funeral Home in Frankfort IN. I'll post those as soon as they're available.

God Speed indeed, Dale.

RIP, freind. Bob & Cari Palma
      Wow! Sad news indeed.

I never met Dale or even talked to him, but I have watched and loved his great posts for a long time. I always chuckled when I would see his Cary Grant avatar. I knew I would be reading something good very soon.

We will certainly all miss him.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I don't know that I ever met him, but I also appreciated his humor. He will be missed here.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

WOW, another "good guy", gone too soon.
          LARK PARKER, you will be missed by many!

Comment

Dale McPhearson, aka- Lark Parker

I don’t know ‘bout the rest of you, but I had become a “Lark Parker fan.” I’m unsure if I ever encountered Dale at one of my forays to South Bend gatherings. When attending such events, seems that we are so rushed, we often engage in friendly, but hurried casual conversation, without introduction or retaining names in our memory.

However, here, on this forum, Dale was a dear friend. A master wordsmith, with the ability to take folks to the “proverbial woodshed,” and make them thankful for having gone there at the same time. It is said that for comedy to work, it has to be borne of truth. Dale could crack me up with hysterical laughter with the way he crafted his comments regarding any subject. Then, I would spend days contemplating, and unwrapping the insight and intellectual depth of the truths he had conveyed. Even while enduring serious physical challenges, he retained the ability to share thoughts demonstrated in this thread,
            Friendly off-topic discussions about this and that. No politics or religion, please.

Another posting, where he was confronting the loneliness of the passing of his wife. A serious subject, confronted in a way no Saturday Night Live comedy writer has ever demonstrated the intellectual depth to craft.

Friendly off-topic discussions about this and that. No politics or religion, please.

And, as if he had already confronted his own mortality, he gifted us with this one,

As Bob Palma said, for us, a sad day indeed. However, as the saying goes, “Our loss is Heaven’s gain.”
            I am comforted by knowing my life has been enriched by Dale, and that I shared my appreciation (of him) with him. Now that he’s no longer suffering, my thoughts and prayers are for his grieving loved ones. I know their lives were enriched by his. May you be comforted by this fact.

I salute and thank you Dale, you certainly adjusted the acuity of my insight.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Lark Parker, what a laid back super intelligent man! Not replaceable and forever missed. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                I don’t know ‘bout the rest of you, but I had become a “Lark Parker fan.” I’m unsure if I ever encountered Dale at one of my forays to South Bend gatherings. When attending such events, seems that we are so rushed, we often engage in friendly, but hurried casual conversation, without introduction or retaining names in our memory.

However, here, on this forum, Dale was a dear friend. A master wordsmith, with the ability to take folks to the “proverbial woodshed,” and make them thankful for having gone there at the same time. It is said that for comedy to work, it has to be borne of truth. Dale could crack me up with hysterical laughter with the way he crafted his comments regarding any subject. Then, I would spend days contemplating, and unwrapping the insight and intellectual depth of the truths he had conveyed. Even while enduring serious physical challenges, he retained the ability to share thoughts demonstrated in this thread,

Another posting, where he was confronting the loneliness of the passing of his wife. A serious subject, confronted in a way no Saturday Night Live comedy writer has ever demonstrated the intellectual depth to craft.

And, as if he had already confronted his own mortality, he gifted us with this one,

As Bob Palma said, for us, a sad day indeed. However, as the saying goes, “Our loss is Heaven’s gain.”
                I am comforted by knowing my life has been enriched by Dale, and that I shared my appreciation (of him) with him. Now that he’s no longer suffering, my thoughts and prayers are for his grieving loved ones. I know their lives were enriched by his. May you be comforted by this fact.

I salute and thank you Dale, you certainly adjusted the acuity of my insight.
                You have perfectly captured the man, John; spot-on. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

We will all miss Dale. He was a person that never let a humorous situation go to waste. He made good use of the Sudewalker. RIP Dale.
                  james r pepper

Comment

Years ago Dale wrote an article about his trip up the hill at the yearly Hill Climb in Newport, Indiana where he had garnered several record runs with his Studebakers. He described this run up the hill in his little 6 cylinder pick up truck with the lovely Daytona riding with him. It was the funniest thing I ever read and asked Dale if he still had that article and he did not. If anyone should have that please post it as I'm sure everyone would really enjoy it and get a taste of Dale's writing ability and sense of humor.

Needless to say, many of us will remember Dale well and miss him GREATLY. RIP Dale.

Comment

The following from former Indy Chapter President Chuck Kern, who also runs his white R2/Powershift Avanti at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. Chuck isn't "on" the forum, so he asked that I post his condolences:

Hi Bob:
                      I'm down in Florida. Please post for me my regrets in the passing of Dale. He was a good friend, I could always turn to him for help while I was Indy Chapter Prez. He also did some very nice work on ol yeller's stainless.
                      May the Lord be with him & his family.

Thanks for any help. Chuck Kern

You're welcome, Chuck. BP

Comment

Those of us who never met Dale will miss him none the less. He had a great way of adjusting our perspective to see the humor in situations.
                        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                        50 Champion 2 door*
                        53 Commander K Auto*
                        53 Commander K overdrive*
                        55 President Speedster
                        62 GT 4Speed*
                        63 Avanti R1*
                        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
                          Years ago Dale wrote an article about his trip up the hill at the yearly Hill Climb in Newport, Indiana where he had garnered several record runs with his Studebakers. He described this run up the hill in his little 6 cylinder pick up truck with the lovely Daytona riding with him. It was the funniest thing I ever read and asked Dale if he still had that article and he did not. If anyone should have that please post it as I'm sure everyone would really enjoy it and get a taste of Dale's writing ability and sense of humor.

Needless to say, many of us will remember Dale well and miss him GREATLY. RIP Dale.
                          26 Years Ago: Ted "Chicken Hawk" Harbit (far left) with Dale McPhearson (far right) at the 1992 SDC International Meet in Nashville TN. Next to Ted is Mary Ann Harbit and in front of Dale is his wife, Barb "The Lovely Daytona" McPhearson. In the center is Mary Ann's mother, who accompanied them on the trip.

Comment

Dale was a wonderful, gentle guy with a great mind. What a loss to us all. Our prayers to his family. Years ago, Dale helped us with preparation for the Pure Stock Drags.

One of my favorite Lark Parker scenes was his description of the giant letter "S" he said would light up when a Studebaker driver needed assistance. It was mounted on top of a tall silo in central Indiana.

Lark, you will be missed more than you know.

George
                            george krem

Comment

Dale was the best and I always looked forward to seeing him at the Michiana swap meets. This is a sad day indeed. He and his family will be in my prayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X