Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP: Dale McPhearson (Obituary Added in Post#1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sad news. Like some others, I never met him, but always looked forward to his contributions. One of my highest honors was an email from Dale thanking me for something I had posted on the forum. I have often tried to emulate his courtesy, literacy, humility, and humor. May you have fair winds and following seas, Lark.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      What sad news. Like some others, I never met him, but always looked forward to his contributions. One of my highest honors was an email from Dale thanking me for something I had posted on the forum. I have often tried to emulate his courtesy, literacy, humility, and humor. May you have fair winds and following seas, Lark.
      You apparently knew that Dale's first career was The United States Navy, Skip! True. Cool beans. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

(Here's my 'Trim Trader' story with/about Dale)...

When Dale started up his 'Trim Trader' journey, I asked him if he had a built up inventory of trim. He said he had a few pieces, but not a lot.
        So, I collected up my then current inventory of trim pieces (a full plastic garbage can) and brought them up to Dale. I think that was around 1999, or maybe 2000.
        Our 'gentleman's agreement' for all the wonderous inventory was that he would 'prep' for me two sets of the '37 Dictator nose stainless pieces, and give me an IOU for prepping one set of trim pieces for my long stagnant '61 Hawk project.
        Dale did just that. After a while he sent me a box with the stunningly beautiful stainless nose trim pieces and in the box was a hand written IOU for rhe Hawk stuff.
        The Coupe Express was first foisted on the Stude crowd in 2002 at South Bend IM, and after that it was constantly being tweaked.. I had a small incident where the hood strut rods had been disconnected and the hood closed on its own and those two struts dinged the stainless trim. Two teeny tiny matching dents, one on each side.
        Fast forward a few years..... Charlotte, 2004.
        Stude's all in the parking lot.. Joyous time... (Snurdley was there.... with his O2 tank in tow <g>)...
        Anyways... Dale walks up and we exchange greetings, and he looks at me and says (in his best Lark Parker voice)
        "What did you do to to dent that trim on your Coupe Express?"
        I had to come clean and tell him of my being a klutz. We both laughed about him seeing his work and my efforts to wreck it..
        Good times... Good memories...
        RIP Dale.. Those dents will always make me think fondly of you.
        That IOU has been on my desk in my office ever since. The IOU from you means more to me than the trim..
        Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I did not wish to post as I did not know the gentleman. I did however enjoy his humour and and his postings. If there is a heaven I hope he is there, he seemed to me to be a genuine gentleman. Perhaps that is why he chose Cary Grant as his aviator as the actor projected that image. I am truly sorry for his families loss and the loss for our club. (Encouraged to post by Bob Palma)
          sigpic
          55 President Deluxe
          64 Commander
          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

This was a great man who knew what was right and always stood for it- without exception. At the same time, he was the master of blending tact with humor.

Whenever I saw him we always had a great mixture of quality discussion and comedy. In his last email from March 7 he mentioned how shingles on his face ‘may affect his social life’ and recounted a fall from a while back that only injured a couple ‘non-essential’ parts (finger and head)

That’s how I’ll remember him: brilliant and comical, yet also a hero and Patriot.

Well done. Till we meet again in Heaven, my friend.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Very sorry to learn of Dale's passing. Have always enjoyed his posts. RIP Dale.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Dale will be missed enjoyed his humor , Great Guy prayers go out to his family

Comment

Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of meeting Dale on any of my excursions back to South Bend for the International meets. But I just know we could have had some fun conversations. I've read many of his posts here on the forum and he would always put a smile on my face or, give me good laugh! He was a very entertaining man and a true Gentleman. May he rest in peace with his Sweetheart, The Lovely Daytona. And Gods Blessings go out to his family.

Bill

Comment

Sad news. Over the years I've enjoyed a great many of his posts here on our forum. He sure had the knack of crafting something humorous in such a subtle and gentlemanly way. I expect that those who knew Dale well we're lucky to have done so. RIP Lark Parker.

Comment

I am very sad to hear of Dale's passing.He was simply the best, and I will miss talking to him, his sense of humor, and his love for life. Rest In Peace Dale. Hope to someday see you in that big Studebaker parking lot in the sky. My sincerest condolences to the family.

Comment

Update: Dale's family and Goodwin Funeral Home just added a nice 9-minute photo tribute to Dale within Goodwin's Obituary and Funeral. Click on that link in this thread's opening post. After reading the obituary, scroll down to the You-Tube Memorial to Dale. Lots of Navy and Studebaker items therein.

Right at 8:02 is a photo of Team Studebaker (with Dale, of course) lined up on the Madison-Grant County Line Road on the north side of Ted Harbit's property, leaving for The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race in either 2001 or 2002. ('Not sure which, but have narrowed it down to one of those two years. 'Best guess is 2002.) BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Oh, Bob, thank you so much for letting us know. I can't express how sad I am to hear this. I never met Dale in the flesh, but felt like I knew him from his posts and emails.

He is now in a better place, and we are all a little poorer for his passing.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            Update: Dale's family and Goodwin Funeral Home just added a nice 9-minute photo tribute to Dale within Goodwin's Obituary and Funeral. Click on that link in this thread's opening post. After reading the obituary, scroll down to the You-Tube Memorial to Dale. Lots of Navy and Studebaker items therein.

Right at 8:02 is a photo of Team Studebaker (with Dale, of course) lined up on the Madison-Grant County Line Road on the north side of Ted Harbit's property, leaving for The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race in either 2001 or 2002. ('Not sure which, but have narrowed it down to one of those two years. 'Best guess is 2002.) BP
                            Thanks for the update Bob. Certainly worth nine minutes. I now feel as if I knew him personally.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                              Thanks for the update Bob. Certainly worth nine minutes. I now feel as if I knew him personally.
                              You're welcome, Paul.

'Just got back from funeral home calling this evening (Tuesday, March 27th). 'Nice crowd of Studebaker folks; perhaps 20 all total.

The weather forecast for Dale's funeral Wednesday, March 28th sounds like it might be rainy...and it has already been raining here for two days after record snowfall and melt Saturday and Sunday, so theroads are a wet mess with some salt residue still being washed away. Hence, it's doubtful there will be many Studes at the funeral. BP

Comment

I met Dale at the hill climb an always enjoyed the talks. He also gave me some advice able climbing the hill. Rest in peace Dale

Comment

Working...
                                X