Griffin radiator for Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Griffin radiator for Avanti

Off the cuff, does anyone know the number of the Griffin drop in replacement for a '63 Avanti? My original just sprouted way too many pin holes.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Where is the original leaking from? Two years ago I had mine recored out of preventive maintenance during my car's re-awakening, I had the shop put in a higher density core. Never gets hot.

Comment

Core is shot, and a recore is expen$ive anymore.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Hey Ron, let me know what you find out on the radiator. I plan to do change mine out too in the near future. Thank You
        Jim Kaufman
        Kearney NE

1952 2R10
        1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
        1962 GT Hawk
        1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

For my Hawk, Griffin did not have a replacement part number, even though they had built several Hawk radiators. It was a low volume item and it wasn't worth their time to develop a set of drawings and assign a part number. They may not have a part number for your Avanti either. I ended up shipping them my radiator so they could copy it. They sent it back to me along with the new radiator. It only cost a few more dollars in shipping and I got an almost perfect fit. I did have to slot one mounting hole about a 1/16". Now I can idle at a traffic light on a 97 degree day with the AC on and the temp never goes above 185.

You probably already know this, but if you want it to look like it should you have to ask for stamped tanks, otherwise you will get the square welded "race car" looking tanks. The stamped tank will not be an exact match to your original, but it will look vintage enough to not look out of place.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Do you mind me asking how much that cost? Can you paint it black?
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

If I remember correctly it was right at $1000. That includes shipping both ways.

Yes you can paint it black. I applied a very light coat of SEM etch primer and then a few coats of Eastwood Radiator black. On the fins I used just enough paint to turn it black. I applied it a little heavier on the tanks so they have a nice uniform coat.
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

If you paint the radiator (or any radiator), use radiator paint as it's thin and is less likely to clog the fins like standard rattle can paint will.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks. I know that S-I has repro radiators for $650, but haven't asked what material they are, or what gauge. I hear so for other makes can be thin brass and not worth the effort.
                  And I found a semi-local rad shop that when I told him I could buy a repro, thinks he can recore mine for a little less, with a 3 row core, but needs to see it first
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                    Where is the original leaking from? Two years ago I had mine recored out of preventive maintenance during my car's re-awakening, I had the shop put in a higher density core. Never gets hot.
                    Several tubes have been soldered shut where the fan contacted it, many fins are missing, and there are a couple of weeps. It's jjust time
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Call Pam at Griffin, we spoke two years ago concerning a new unit for my Avanti.
                      Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                      Off the cuff, does anyone know the number of the Griffin drop in replacement for a '63 Avanti? My original just sprouted way too many pin holes.

Comment

Working...
                      X