Cruise ControlL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Cruise ControlL

I am thinking about installing cruise control on my 1962 GT Hawk. Please share your thoughts.
    Peter Bishop

Why not? Rostra (ex Dana) makes a great unit that doesn't depend on vacuum and the install is fairly straight forward. Not inexpensive but there are a wide variety of control options. You will need to sense speed so generally you will need the magnets on the driveshaft unless you purchase the speedo cable to digital output option. I have one on the 83 Avanti and a second one installed on the 74.

I picked a complete unit including the turn signal adapter that was correct for the Avanti column from a dealer at a swap meet a couple of years back at a great price. My guess now is a complete setup from a dealer is more like $300. Check Ebay and other sources but remember that you can only return a defective unit to a dealer.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 03-18-2018, 05:54 AM.

Comment

I have a brand new Rostra unit, from the eighties, that I'm going to install in my Sky Hawk...

Comment

I used a simple inexpensive route to give my right foot/leg a rest on long trips. On the 1953 Commander Starliner that I drove on round trips to South Bend (1500 miles), I installed an accessory left side accelerator. It wasn't much good for normal driving, but it was good for holding a steady speed on Interstates. This gave me a chance to move my right leg around a bit.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have been running the AudioVox(?) setups from the 1980s now, for the last 10 years or so, in all three Studes. They are reliable, simple, fairly easy to install, and will hold speed within 1-3 MPH on the road. They use a magnet on the driveshaft for a speed sensor/sender, and manifold vacuum to operate the mechanical side of it. The vacuum works best if an accumulator is included. That way, the system doesn't run short of vacuum on long upgrades, or heavy throttle needs.

I just let the control switch lay between the AC unit and bottom of the dash, and it does not go anywhere because the wires keep it in place. It provides same controls as modern systems: off/on, speed up, down, resume. Simple, but works well. Last time I looked, NOS ones are still around on ebay.

Comment

Here is one of the old Dana/audiovox/Rosta units that show up on ebay and swapmeets from time to time. I have installed many of them over the years.

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Is there a specific model number or SKU we should lok for??

Comment

During the twenties and early thirties cars all had a steering wheel mounted had throttle. Not a perfect fit for all conditions, but on flat land drives, one could set it in one position, and watch the world go by.

- - - Updated - - -

That should have read hand throttle.

Comment

Back in high school I had a 64 Plymouth Savoy 2 dr sedan that was an ex highway patrol. It had a throttle pull cable right under the dash by the steering wheel that you could pull out and set. It would hold the speed until you pushed down on the gas petal then it would release. Never saw another one like it.

Comment

I installed a Dakota Digital unit purchased from Summit Racing, with the pulse generating sensor that mounts in line between the speedo and the end of the cable. This unit is actually is a Rostra unit, just sold by Dakota Digital, and works great! I have the under dash switch; all easy to install, with good instructions and tech support.

Comment

Working...
                    X