Thread: Paint Code for 57 golden hawk engine (blue)

Champion Member

Paint Code for 57 golden hawk engine (blue)

I know paint color can be a hotly contested issue on here but I'm wondering if anyone has a paint code for the engine paint in 57. I am aware that rattle cans are available but thats really not what I'm after and besides which I dont think any of the vendors are able to ship aerosol to Canada. If anyone knows of a good source for a rattle can in Canada i would consider buying one to take it in to get color matched as long as it is correct color. I did a search and foud a guy who had matched the later colors but was unable to find the one I need. Thanks in advance
    1957 goldenhawk

Just do not FORGET that it is Turquoise GREEN! Not Blue!

If these Two colors look the same to you, THAT could be the problem, let someone else choose the Color.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

I don't know the code but, if shipping non-aerosol to Canada is not a problem, SI has it in quart cans. Item #800812 for $59.95 US. As well as the aerosol (12 oz.), Item #800256 for $13.75.

Champion Member
    thanks, I will check if they can ship the cans across the border , I would still prefer to find a paint code if possible to save buying paint I wont use. thanks.
    1957 goldenhawk

Champion Member
    Thanks I'm aware of the intricate nature of paint and color selection , if turquoise is your preferred nomenclature that's fine, I don't want to discuss what shade of blue, green ,turquoise cyan or whatever else you want to call it , I am looking specifically for a PAINT CODE to avoid the usual B.S that comes with paint discussion.
    1957 goldenhawk

President Member
    turboreichel,
    I got the correct turquoise in spray from Chris & Chuck Collins here in Arizona for my '57 Packard project. See if they can assist you.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    I got the correct turquoise in spray...
    Bill, Neil indicated in post #1 there was an issue shipping aerosol in to Canada, hence his inquiry to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by turboreichel View Post
    ... if turquoise is your preferred nomenclature that's fine, ...
    Neil, I think Rich just wants to make certain folks clearly understand what you are looking for. Studebaker did use blue on their engines in 1955, but turquoise in 1956-57. Your subject title indicates "(blue)", which is a factory engine color but not for your '57 GH. And none of us want anyone to help you find the wrong thing.

President Member

Engine paint

Brad,
    I was thinking if Collins' have it they could ship it direct to me and I'd bring it home with me this next week and send it to Neil from BC.
    Bill

Now that sounds like a plan! Forward thinking; just like the engineers at Studebaker.

What say ye, Neil?
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Champion Member
    Hey thanks Buzzard! I got called to work and lost track of this post so I apologize for the late reply. Phil Harris is trying to sneak some across in another order I have and failing that I may look you up if its not too late. I have family in Kamloops so maybe we could make it work. A very generous offer indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Brad,
    I was thinking if Collins' have it they could ship it direct to me and I'd bring it home with me this next week and send it to Neil from BC.
    Bill
    1957 goldenhawk

Champion Member
    I acquired the paint from Phil and painted a test panel to have matched by an endura dealer here in Alberta. High performance coatings in calgary now has the colour in there system as Studebaker turquoise if anyone else up here is in need. As it turns out this engine looks like it was originally silver so i wont be using the turquoise after all.
    1957 goldenhawk

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turboreichel View Post
    As it turns out this engine looks like it was originally silver so i wont be using the turquoise after all.
    58's were silver
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Champion Member
    yes thats what i thought but it seems there were a few late builds that had the 58 silver. the engine was painted black but underneath everything is faded silver , i stripped everything to bare metal and did not find a trace of turquoise anywhere. the car is a late 57 build and my engine is late build as well so it seems to add up.
    1957 goldenhawk

Neil, is there any chance you could post or PM me your Serial Number and Build Date, I am trying to find out more about this rare Silver '57 Engine thing, Thanks.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Champion Member
    2018-04-01 17.45.13-1.jpg here is the production order
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1957 goldenhawk

Thanks for the P.O. There is no doubt that this IS a very LATE car, built July 1, 1957 that easily could have a 289 Engine destined for a '58, so would be a Aluminum Silver Block and Heads, Engine numbered as a '57.

What ARE these odd looking pieces part of?
    One looks like part of the Power Steering Pump, a Bolt-on Purchased Part, that could be any color!
    I don't see the important Parts; the Block or Heads.

Champion Member
    IMG_20170102_124845.jpgIMG_20170111_162114.jpgIMG_20170111_145033.jpg Here are some pics from disassembly of the block and heads
    1957 goldenhawk