Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Golden Hawk F------in Starter Removel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats the fun of all this Studebaker stuff and the great people on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by 57studie View Post
      PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
      In some ways I feel stupid but then maybe not! ...
      And if you're like me you will spend the next 24 hours trying to figure out if your greatful it finally came out, or frustrated that it took so much to get to that simple solution.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Grateful its out!!! Although STUPID STUPID STUPID keeps coming to mind.

Comment

Friendly reminder: REMEMBER TO PUT THE OIL BACK IN. In your exuberance of getting the starter repaired remember you drained the oil.

Comment

I'm glad you got it worked out. Mine came out ok with the wheels straight, maybe I got lucky, but I could see it would be very easy with the wheels turned to the right. Impossible if turned left.

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
              In some ways I feel stupid but then maybe not!

The starter will not come out of the engine with the front wheels pointing straight!!!
              I turned the wheels to the right and the control valve that was blocking everything moved totally out of the picture!
              The starter almost dropped out by itself! Well now to replace or repair the starter!!
              So... NOW we have verified that SOMEONE has modified this '57 Hawk to replace the Saginaw Power Steering Box, Steering Column, Pitman Arm, Reach Rod, Steering Bellcrank, two Hoses and possibly the P/S Pump with the Later Hawk Bendix System.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studerich. Please explain what you posted. I don't understand.

Comment

Please explain ..........
                  Check your email...
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Actually Paul it is very simple, when you mentioned "Control Valve", we all knew you were NOT working on a Stock '57 GH.

(1) It is not a '57, maybe a '58?

(2) Someone has gone to a WHOLE Lot of trouble to remove the entire Saginaw internal Power Steering Gear, Column and all and installed a '58 to '64 Hawk Bendix System!
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

We just went the other way (Bendix to Saginaw) on a '62 GT Hawk to eliminate all the complications (and leaking) of the Bendix system.
                      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I am really confused now! I bought a Golden Hawk thinking it was mostly stock. I am attaching a photo of what my steering system looks like. Is it wrong for a 57 Golden Hawk? My source is Chassis Parts Catalog 55-58 Studebaker (March 1958). Diagram on page 429. Item 1308-79 (Or 1308-139) is what was blocking me from removing the starter.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 57studie; 04-01-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I am really confused now! I bought a Golden Hawk thinking it was mostly stock. I am attaching a photo of what my steering system looks like. Is it wrong for a 57 Golden Hawk? My source is Chassis Parts Catalog 55-58 Studebaker (March 1958). Diagram on page 429. Item 1308-79 (Or 1308-139) is what was blocking me from removing the starter.
                          That is the Bendix system. My '62 has it too as did my '64 Thunderbird. The control valve is what was in you way, no mystery.

Comment

I checked the 1959 to 1964 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog for you to see if there was a Serial Number break/change where maybe a few '57's might have been built with 1958 Bendix Power Steering, but found no such thing.

So, the most likely situation is, this Car was not built with Power Steering, so someone added the much easier to find and install Bendix System from a '58 to '64 Hawk.
                            The Hoses or other parts may be improperly installed, making Servicing it much worse.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info studerich. That is terrible news for me. I wanted a stock 57 Golden Hawk, but it looks like I don't have the stock power steering. Sounds expensive to put back to stock. I will ponder it for a while before I decide to do something. For now I will just leave it as it is.

Comment

Thanks for the reply bensherb. Yes, mystery solved.

Comment

Working...
                                X