Thread: 1957 Golden Hawk F------in Starter Removel.

Commander Member

Post 1957 Golden Hawk F------in Starter Removel.

I have been trying to get the starter out of the 57 GH. So far I have had to drop the manifold exhaust muffler pipe to get room to remove the starter. But I still cant get enough room to remove the starter. Help me out here. do I need to remove the oil pan too? Am i missing something? Surly it cant be this much trouble to remove a starter? Any comments would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by 57studie; 03-11-2018 at 12:56 PM.

President Member
    When you use original exhaust parts, they are bend to provide clearance to remove the starter.
    Make sure your use the correct bolts to put it back in.They have a shoulder to properly locate the starter.

https://studeblogger.blogspot.com/20...ter-bolts.html

Commander Member
    I have the starter bolts out.
    I have the starter cable out.
    I have the exhaust pipe dropped down and is no longer a problem
    I drained my engine oil and was going to remove the oil pan, when I found that you cannot get about 4 bolts out because, the starter is in the way!

Looks like I will need to remove the power steering unit now!!
    Someone please tell me if you had to do all this just to get the starter out!!

This is hard to understand. I have never removed a starter from a 259/289 Stude Hawk that has Saginaw PS. But have done so, many times, from the 352 motors in 56Js. Do not even need to remove the exhaust.

President Member
    No way it should be this difficult as it is NOT a Northstar motor. Something has changed from the factory assembly. Was the exhaust custom bent? Is the starter correct for the application? Have you got the shop manual?CCI03112018_0000.jpgThere is no way Studebaker engineers would make you do that much disassembly for what used to be a fairly routine procedure. Check this scanned page. Luck,
    Bill

Speedster Member
    You should only have to pull the starter out about 3 or 4 inches and drop
    the nose down and come straight down between the exhaust pipe and the pan.

Commander Member
    I am done for today. My thoughts are:

The starter cannot be removed as simply as making sure the exhaust pipe is clear. The power steering control valve must be removed also. I will attempt this on another day. Thanks to those who took time to post.

President Member
    Hi Although it has been years, I did not have any issues removing the starter from a 57 G.H. Something is wrong , Ed

President Member
    Paul, a '57 shouldn't have a control valve. The Saginaw power steering is one VERY large unit, but as Joe Hall has done, I have removed the starter on my '56 Golden Hawk with Saginaw power steering and the huge 352 Packard V8. No problem.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive - Running, but not yet driving)

I'm not sure if it's the same or not, but, I pulled the starter from my '62, 289 with bendix power steering with the big control valve on the pitman arm just the other day. The front wheels were pointed straight ahead, might have been even easier if turned to the right, but it dropped right out. I did already have the exhaust dropped loose from the manifold though as it had to be moved to get the trans out. The bolts were a bit difficult to get to but the whole thing took maybe 3 minutes.

President Member
    Sounds like your starter may be stuck in the bellhousing, or rear engine plate.Also the drive can be engaged in the ring gear causing problems. DONT try to pull the pan, bump the starter till it works loose, move forward then tip nose down. If you cranked engine but didnt start it the drive is in the engaged position(out). Luck Doofus

I can't imagine it could make a difference if the drive is in or out since it doesn't hook on anything, just slides to let the two gears mesh. With the two starter mounting bolts removed the starter should slide straight tward the front of the car. If it does not, try removing the bolts for the lower flywheel cover and letting it come down with the starter. Once you pull it out of the way the starter should fall out.

President Member
    Sounds like the #8 (?) spark plug in the later Mustangs with big V8....though I'm having trouble following this problem once the exhaust pipe is dropped .....enough ??

Commander Member
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
    In some ways I feel stupid but then maybe not!

The starter will not come out of the engine with the front wheels pointing straight!!!
    I turned the wheels to the right and the control valve that was blocking everything moved totally out of the picture!
    The starter almost dropped out by itself! Well now to replace or repair the starter!!

Commander Member
    Yes, you were all over it!! I turned the wheels to the right and the thing almost fell to the floor! Thanks.

President Member
    Thats the fun of all this Studebaker stuff and the great people on this forum

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 57studie View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
    In some ways I feel stupid but then maybe not! ...
    And if you're like me you will spend the next 24 hours trying to figure out if your greatful it finally came out, or frustrated that it took so much to get to that simple solution.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Commander Member
    Grateful its out!!! Although STUPID STUPID STUPID keeps coming to mind.

President Member
    Friendly reminder: REMEMBER TO PUT THE OIL BACK IN. In your exuberance of getting the starter repaired remember you drained the oil.

I'm glad you got it worked out. Mine came out ok with the wheels straight, maybe I got lucky, but I could see it would be very easy with the wheels turned to the right. Impossible if turned left.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
    In some ways I feel stupid but then maybe not!

The starter will not come out of the engine with the front wheels pointing straight!!!
    I turned the wheels to the right and the control valve that was blocking everything moved totally out of the picture!
    The starter almost dropped out by itself! Well now to replace or repair the starter!!
    So... NOW we have verified that SOMEONE has modified this '57 Hawk to replace the Saginaw Power Steering Box, Steering Column, Pitman Arm, Reach Rod, Steering Bellcrank, two Hoses and possibly the P/S Pump with the Later Hawk Bendix System.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Commander Member
    Studerich. Please explain what you posted. I don't understand.

President Member
    Please explain ..........
    Check your email...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Actually Paul it is very simple, when you mentioned "Control Valve", we all knew you were NOT working on a Stock '57 GH.

(1) It is not a '57, maybe a '58?

(2) Someone has gone to a WHOLE Lot of trouble to remove the entire Saginaw internal Power Steering Gear, Column and all and installed a '58 to '64 Hawk Bendix System!

President Member
    We just went the other way (Bendix to Saginaw) on a '62 GT Hawk to eliminate all the complications (and leaking) of the Bendix system.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive - Running, but not yet driving)

Commander Member
    I am really confused now! I bought a Golden Hawk thinking it was mostly stock. I am attaching a photo of what my steering system looks like. Is it wrong for a 57 Golden Hawk? My source is Chassis Parts Catalog 55-58 Studebaker (March 1958). Diagram on page 429. Item 1308-79 (Or 1308-139) is what was blocking me from removing the starter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 57studie; 04-01-2018 at 04:49 PM.

I am really confused now! I bought a Golden Hawk thinking it was mostly stock. I am attaching a photo of what my steering system looks like. Is it wrong for a 57 Golden Hawk? My source is Chassis Parts Catalog 55-58 Studebaker (March 1958). Diagram on page 429. Item 1308-79 (Or 1308-139) is what was blocking me from removing the starter.
    That is the Bendix system. My '62 has it too as did my '64 Thunderbird. The control valve is what was in you way, no mystery.

I checked the 1959 to 1964 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog for you to see if there was a Serial Number break/change where maybe a few '57's might have been built with 1958 Bendix Power Steering, but found no such thing.

So, the most likely situation is, this Car was not built with Power Steering, so someone added the much easier to find and install Bendix System from a '58 to '64 Hawk.
    The Hoses or other parts may be improperly installed, making Servicing it much worse.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Commander Member
    Thanks for the info studerich. That is terrible news for me. I wanted a stock 57 Golden Hawk, but it looks like I don't have the stock power steering. Sounds expensive to put back to stock. I will ponder it for a while before I decide to do something. For now I will just leave it as it is.

Commander Member
    Thanks for the reply bensherb. Yes, mystery solved.

Commander Member
    Thanks for the email 64v-57.