!962 Hawk Lower Radiator Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: !962 Hawk Lower Radiator Hose

I have a 289 installed in my '62 Hawk and I'm not able to get a lower radiator hose that works. I have the semi-rigid hose and it rubs on the generator belt. Was there a pre-molded at on time? I suppose I could make a hose to fit but it needs rigidity to keep from collapsing from the vacuum as water circulates. Also the OD on water pump and radiator is 1 3/4". All thoughts appreciated. Chet445

Take your old rigid hose or a stiff wire bent to the shape you need, to an auto parts store and compare it to the hoses hanging on the racks. I found some foreign car hose to use for the top hose on my 1950 Commander. Many lower hoses had a spring installed to keep them from collapsing.

Comment

Third one down. https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...id=9511.525932

I'm changing to a stainless steel tube with short silicone hoses at the ends; it's a lot cheaper. Around $15.
      Last edited by bensherb; 03-04-2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Studebaker International, page 193. $29.50 ea.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. SI will not work as I have 1 3/4" on each end. Most Hawks have ends that are 1 1/2" by 1 3/4".

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            Take your old rigid hose or a stiff wire bent to the shape you need, to an auto parts store and compare it to the hoses hanging on the racks. I found some foreign car hose to use for the top hose on my 1950 Commander. Many lower hoses had a spring installed to keep them from collapsing.
            I did something similar except I used plastic plumbing fittings. After I approximated the shape I'd go into an auto parts store, in one case they helped me look and another showed me the two boxes of hoses that hadn't been stocked and I went through them and found what I needed.

I'd like to see a picture of bensherb's solution using stainless and silicone hoses.

Comment

Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post

I'd like to see a picture of bensherb's solution using stainless and silicone hoses.
              I'm several hundred miles away from home right now, and unfortunetly don't have a pic of them on this machine. I'll get some pics when I get home next month.

Comment

I went to NAPA store and found a hose with many bends and turns so I figured I could make a hose that would fit. I needed a hose with 1 3/4 ID on both ends. Well I looked at what I had purchased and I thought it might work as is even with all the bends and turns. Sure enough it fit so I put the reinforcing coils in it. The NAPA part number is 7927. Problem solved. This could possibly help someone. Chet445

Comment

With a bit of adjustment, you can get those SI lower hoses to work. Ceci's 62 has aa Al radiator so had to use one of those universal hoses. They work fine---but they aren't original.

Comment

Check your local plumbing/hardware store they have a variety of adaptors. I have a 63 259 in my 54 Champion and I am using the original radiator from the 6, I had to adapt top and bottom. The thermostat housing is from a GM and the bottom hose is the original from the 6 with a plumbing adaptor from a kitchen sink. The belt is close but doesn't touch.

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
                      I went to NAPA store and found a hose with many bends and turns so I figured I could make a hose that would fit. I needed a hose with 1 3/4 ID on both ends. Well I looked at what I had purchased and I thought it might work as is even with all the bends and turns. Sure enough it fit so I put the reinforcing coils in it. The NAPA part number is 7927. Problem solved. This could possibly help someone. Chet445
                      This is good to know.
                      Thanks Much !

Comment

Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post
                        Here are some pics of my hoses as promised.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rad hose upper 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1720228Click image for larger version

Name:	rad hose lower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1720229

Comment

The SI hose is not very close to the original and very difficult to fit. But new hoses of the correct shape are available. Talk to Chuck Collins and get the correct part.

Comment

The SI lower hose may be a one size fits both Hawk and Lark. It may fit better on Larks, but its pretty close on Hawks. It tends to lay against the frame rail, which I'd prefer over coming too close to the fan belt. I always sleeve that hose on the back side/frame rail side to avoid abrasion, and on the top side, to avoid a loose fan belt wind up cutting into it. I have seen both happen. For a sleeve,I use a piece of old radiator hose, and hold it in place with 2-3 large, nylon tie-ties.

The above procedure is only for driven Studes. Of course TQs would not need a sleeve, since no problems are likely to occur due to minimal operation. There are many examples like that throughout our Studes, when it comes to drivers versus TQs.

Comment

I remember one of our Australian vendors having a better fitting and original shaped hose in their inventory, but I can't remember if it was Chris Skinner or someone else. They were very confident it would fit better than any others out there. Anyone else have a better memory? Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X