Thread: Moxie - A Good Drink or No?

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Moxie - A Good Drink or No?

Yes that's right. I would like to hear your opinions on this New English wonder soda that is renowned (or reviled) for containing one REALLY unique thing - gentian root! Like our Studebakers, there is an intrinsic uniqueness about it and as such would make for excellent discussion here. I personally love the stuff and I always make sure to purchase a bottle whenever the opportunity arises, however infrequently, here in Florida.

Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

It looks like a good drink. I like to try new things, but I think it's unlikely that I would find it here.

President Member
    Rochester NY and Delray Beach FL, ---NY (Summer) FL.(Winter), USA.
    Tastes like old ethonal gas
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

I love the stuff! It's my favorite "nerve food." Admittedly, with most people it's either a love it or hate it thing. In the early 20th century one of the marketing slogans was "Learn to Drink Moxie!" People who don't like it says it tastes like cough syrup, but I can't think of many things more refreshing than an ice cold Moxie.

Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

President Member
    I think I tried it long time ago,and did not like it.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

It's guaranteed to be 'very healthful' by the food and drug act of 1906! LOL It is surprising that it is still being produced.

Silver Hawk Member
    I have family roots in Maine, which is where it allegedly originated, but find the taste to be dreadful.

Heard of it, never seen it.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

President Member
    I remember this soda/tonic from my childhood. I can't recall trying it. Been around forever I guess, although I haven't seen it in years. I also remember my Parents and Grandparents saying he or she "Has a lot of Moxie" in both derogatory as well as complimentary terms. I wonder if that soda inspired that saying?

Speedster Member bumpkinvilledano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stall View Post
    Tastes like old ethonal gas
    I think you are being kind in your assessment of the taste.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

President Member
    Tried it once, years ago, that was enough for me.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

President Member
    It was very popular ages ago. I can still find it when I go to Central PA. Distribution is now limited. I doubt that the gentian root has any therapeutic properties. I like it. My Sister-in Law lives in Connecticut where Moxie is more readily available, but she absolutely hates the taste of it.

One of the first carbonated drinks in the country, 1876, produced in Bedford, NH, and actually now a part of Kirin of Japan. Kind of a regional thing and contains gentian root - not sweet. Used to have it regularly in Massachusetts when I was a kid. Acquired taste but I liked it. Don't see it much now in FL.
    Bill L.
    1962 GT Hawk

Gentian root is also the main flavor in Angostura bitters and Peychaud's Bitters. This should hint at it's flavor.

In California (and a couple other western states - I think WA and AZ) I can usually find it at a specialty liquor store chain called Bev Mo. They have a soda section that carries a lot of different regional sodas from smaller companies. I'll usually pick up some Moxie, some Fitz root beer and cream soda out of St. Louis, and some Cheerwine (a cherry soda, despite its name) out of North Carolina. Good stuff! Moxie can sometimes found at World Market as well, but I think it's a seasonal thing there.
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by voxnut View Post
    I'll usually pick up some Moxie, some Fitz root beer and cream soda out of St. Louis, and some Cheerwine (a cherry soda, despite its name) out of North Carolina. Good stuff! Moxie can sometimes found at World Market as well, but I think it's a seasonal thing there.
    Does anyone remember the Cream Soda that had a rather tart taste to it? Not the berry-flavored stuff one sees now. It was colorless and was made by Crush, and had a light blue bottle cap.

Craig

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by voxnut View Post
    .....usually pick up some Moxie, some Fitz root beer and cream soda out of St. Louis, and some Cheerwine (a cherry soda, despite its name) out of North Carolina.....
    Hi
    Thanks for the heads up on other regional soda pops, I like to try them when possible. As for Moxie, its definitely an acquired taste. At the Hershey swap meet annually, one of our Packard club members who vacations in Maine, holds a Moxie tasting at his space at 2:00 pm on Thursdays. He brings enough in two litre bottles for all comers to have a good sip, get a good idea of the taste that goes with that old saying about "having a lot of Moxie". Bill is a good egg, with a good sense of humor so I always strike the pose of Frank Archer, the Moxie spokesman character. His quite serious looking, pointing at the viewer with the imperative "Drink Moxie".
    While in western Massachusetts last year, I also sampled Goslings Ginger Beer "The refreshing zip of ginger" a non-alcoholic soda bottled in Worcester, MA. Unlike ginger ale which is clear, this was somewhat cloudy, a bit flatter tasting except for the quite strong ginger favor aftertaste. A regional not found even here three hundred miles away.
    Steve
    Last edited by 56H-Y6; 03-02-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
    Hi
    While in western Massachusetts last year, I also sampled Goslings Ginger Beer "The refreshing zip of ginger" a non-alcoholic soda bottled in Worcester, MA. Unlike ginger ale which is clear, this was somewhat cloudy, a bit flatter tasting except for the quite strong ginger favor aftertaste. A regional not found even here three hundred miles away.
    Steve
    That ginger beer is actually fairly common here in West Palm Beach, FL. I tried it a good number of times at the Sailfish Club and it mostly matches your description except for the flat part. I actually found it to be a bit more bubbly than most other ginger beers I've tried.

Regardless, good on you for stepping out of your comfort zone!
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.