Coops/Coupes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coops/Coupes

Q: Why do chicken coops only have two doors?A: Because if they had four, they would be chicken sedans!
    From the local county senior newsletter.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I don't get it......

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
      I don't get it......

Because some people, like in eBay ads, use "coop" for "coupe" (sound the same). A coupe (coop) has two doors and if it has four doors it is a sedan. Does that help?
      Last edited by studegary; 02-27-2018, 06:37 PM. Reason: clarity
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think this and the Packard post proves Gary has a sense of humor. Both posts are amusing.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
          I think this and the Packard post proves Gary has a sense of humor. Both posts are amusing.
          I didn't think it was possible at first, for Gary the Grouch to have an actual sense of humor. I had to pinch myself in order to make sure it wasn't a dream!
          Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Because some people, like in eBay ads, use "coop" for "coupe" (sound the same). A coupe (coop) has two doors and a sedan has four doors. Does that help?
            Ummm...no, that doesn't help.

Here's a Plymouth coupe:

Here's a Plymouth coach or 2-dr sedan

Here's a Plymouth 4-door sedan

I would point out that the coupe usually had seats for two, but sometimes had additional, small, sometimes folding seats to seat one or two in the back.

A coach had two doors but also a full width seat in back.

And a sedan had the same seating as a coach, but with 4 doors.

Thus a '53 Studebaker like Jerry Foresters' is a coupe with two smaller seats in the rear.

Here are Studebaker sedan and two-door sedan (or coach) with full width rear seats

And a coupe

Makes no difference whether it has a B pillar or not, it's still a coupe.
            Last edited by jnormanh; 02-27-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

You forgot one...
              Chicken coop:
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Gary's no grouch. Often his posts are amusing and informative

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Because some people, like in eBay ads, use "coop" for "coupe" (sound the same). A coupe (coop) has two doors and a sedan has four doors. Does that help?
                  I guess you administered the coup de gras to my attemt at facetious humor. Anyway, at least I gave your post a bump.....

Comment

This whole discussion has been quite enlightening to say the least.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

That's funny. I've just watched The man who cheated himself, a 1951 film noir with Lee J. Cobb. He drove a 2 door chevy. Sometimes, it was called a coop but a fellow also called it a coupé. I suppose the original name was still partly in use in the 50's.
                      Nice day to all.
                      sigpic

Comment

And in Europe, they refer to retractable hardtops as 'Coupe-Cabriolet', or 'CC' for short.

Coupé-cabriolets involve compromise, and it's usually the driving that suffers. Not so with the Focus CC, engineered by Pininfarina. John Simister is converted

The ultimate winter bargain or a controversial coupe-cabriolet that ought to be consigned to the scrapheap? You decide...

Craig

Comment

In the mid 50's my daddy (that's what we call our fathers here in Dixie) had used up his '36 Chevy dirt track car so bought a late 30's Plymouth from a farmer to build another one. The Plymouth was a Coupe coop. Figure that one out.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Well, if the coop was large enough to accomodate the coupe, this is feasable.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm guessing the coupe was used as a coop, or henhouse, as they were called where I was from.
                              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X