Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New HEI distributor option

Speedster Member
    Wondering why you ran with the stop .If you are using the same distributor that I bought Running with out the bushing gives more centrifugal advance so you could run less initial
    Thanks
    Hawkowner

President Member
    If you run less static distributor advance the performance response will be "less." A 20 degree mechanical spread over static setting is a good zone for performance off the starting line under load. Take your car to the track and log your timing performance settings for best tune. Let the performance time slips make the call on the settings you use. Hope this helps.
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

President Member
    I would be interested to hear what the numbers look like if someone runs one of the new distributors on a distributor machine. Bud

President Member
    I someone wants to send me an "as is" distributor still in the box, I will be glad to put it on my Sun distributor machine, plot the data and send it back to you asap.

President Member
    I have a couple of questions about this item. 1) Are the cap and rotor a standard part or only from CRT? 2) Is the module easily available? 3) Do I need access to a dist. machine to set up?. Thanks -Jim

I had the same questions. I looked on ebay, and found a replacement cap and rotor, but not the module. It seems unlikely that they would be available at parts stores, so if I were to purchase the distributor, I would want to travel with a spare cap, rotor, and module. I don't really mind points and condenser, but my delco dizzy is pretty worn, and the cost to rebuild is higher than this replacement. A little hotter spark is a nice thought also.

President Member
    As noted the modules are available from the seller on their website. I think another poster noted that they are $20.
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

President Member
    Please post a link to their website! I'm not very handy on my computer.- Jim

The first post has a link to the Ebay listing and there you can find a "Visit the Store" link on the right hand side of the Ebay listing

President Member
    Thank you! I'm lucky I can do this!- Jim

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
    As noted the modules are available from the seller on their website. I think another poster noted that they are $20.
    The modules are the same as the GM distributor??

(More) The reason I asked this is because I can't find the modules ( except for Ford type) on their site...
    Last edited by 64V-K7; 03-13-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: more info
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    That would simplify things if true! -Jim

President Member
    It is not the same as GM. The GM has 4 male tabs, 2 on each end. The Maxx has their connectors in the middle and the module is thicker. They have the cap, rotor and module listed for $39.00.

The original post was about the crt distibutor. Not sure if it takes the same replacement parts.

President Member
    There are 3 places putting their names on them and they are all the same distributer.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
    Made the HEI install on a test engine stand and no issues on install or start up. Went with the light gold spring and gold bushings for quick mechanical advance off idle. Nice and steady control timing at 2500 rpm timing. Set the static advance at 10 degrees and recorded a mechanical advance of 20 degrees for 30 total. So a 12 would give the ideal 32 degrees mechanical. Like the quick ramp up of the timing. On the wires go with any snap fit spiral core 8 mm size and cut the lengths required.
    Sounds promising. I tried out one of the cheapo small cap hei distributors for a chevy. Not the same seller, so I have no idea if they are made the same. The one I purchased is here:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-BBC-Sma...53.m2749.l2649

Again, this unit IS NOT THE SAME SELLER, SO MAY NOT HAVE ANY OF THE SAME INTERNALS. Just posting what I found. Put it on my Sun distributor machine and at 1500 rpm it actually RETARDED the timing 8 crank degrees. It did not reach full mechanical advance (which was 20 crank degrees) until 7000 rpm!!!!!! I am sending it back. I took it apart and tried replacing the very strong springs with the weakest ones I had on hand. Still had to go 5000 rpm to get full mechanical advance, and still had the retard issue. I think I figured out the retard issue. Look at the two pics of the reluctor wheel. It spins a few degrees on the shaft because that groove in the shaft is too wide. Real piece of crap.

Would appreciate it if the next guy who purchases a CRT for a Studebaker would take a pic with the cap and rotor off so I can see if it has the same internals as the one I bought for the chevy engine.

This one from CRT looks EXACTLY like the one I just diagnosed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SB-Chevy-SB...EAAOSw44BYPNLT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lynn, the Maxx distributor that I received this week looks very different from the one you tested. It will be a while before I can install it in my car, but if it works as good as it looks I'll be ordering another.

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lynn, thank you for some very good input. I would like to update my distributor, but do not want to waste money on some inferior product. I have tried to find a shop locally here , that would still have a distributor machine, but had no luck. I still may do the mallorey from one of our vendors, or try to find the parts to rebuild my delco.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 61Lark View Post
    Lynn, the Maxx distributor that I received this week looks very different from the one you tested. It will be a while before I can install it in my car, but if it works as good as it looks I'll be ordering another.

Nick
    and I think those rotors are standard GM. I have an old window unit and will compare the rotors.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    Very interesting Nick. That looks like the old Ford style of wheel and pick up, but with GM weights and springs, and GM rotor. So easy to dial in your mechanical advance with that set up.

Looks way better than the junk I bought.

President Member
    Got my CRT dist. this morning, ordered it on March 9. Delivery date was March 20, so very speedy delivery. If it works as good as it looks, I'll be very happy. Looks the same as the MAXX unit. Gonna see about getting a spare cap, rotor and module. It'll be a while before I can install it, my car is stored 'till sometime in April.- Jim

Speedster Member
    I just installed a Dave T distributor in my R2 and right out of the box it made a huge difference, replacing an older Delco window style unit that came with the car. I realize these new replacements are pretty cheap but I know Dave's unit works. Just sayin'...

Speedster Member
    Has anyone made the Tac work with this distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by StudeNorm View Post
    I just installed a Dave T distributor in my R2 and right out of the box it made a huge difference, replacing an older Delco window style unit that came with the car. I realize these new replacements are pretty cheap but I know Dave's unit works. Just sayin'...
    How much did you pay for the one from Dave T?

President Member
    Don't know if it works, but there is a wire labeled tach.- Jim

It's been quite awhile since I've been on here, but I saw this and just finished putting together an HEI distributor from a Prestolite bottom and a Chevy top. Now before you pitch the distributors, if there's a function on the Sun Distributor Machines to get it to run clockwise, do that first, and see if the advance works. The Studebaker distributors run counterclockwise, instead of clockwise. What results in using a Chevy HEI distributor in a counterclockwise application, is the mechanical advance doesn't work, which causes the timing to run retarded. The weights need to swing outwards when the distributor is spinning, which they won't do if the orientation is wrong. The distributors that would be more suitable for the Studebaker would be the Buick, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac V8 HEI distributors, because they run counterclockwise.
    The alternative to this, is to pull apart the HEI distributors, and flip the mechanical advance weights around, which is what I had to do with my distributor. I also had to use a Pontiac vacuum advance, but I'm not sold on if that's necessary yet or not.

The first photo shows the documentation for a Chevy clockwise application, and the second photo shows what the weights should look like in a counterclockwise application.

P1160789.jpgP1160816.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    How much did you pay for the one from Dave T?
    I answered that question in a previous post.

President Member
    One last question, can't find any mention of plug gap. Is .060 about right? -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 5brown1 View Post
    I answered that question in a previous post.
    If you are talking about post #26, all I can say is, YOWWWW ! LOL

I was on Dave T's sight recently, and the mallorey was $369. I'm still leaning that direction, as it is more ' tried and true', and parts might not be such a hassle.

Speedster Member
    When I ordered the distributor there were no other options and I ended up paying some pretty big coin, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and the car revs and pulls all the way to the next shift point. Other than now having some starting issues (seems to want to flood, or maybe it is starving?) I don't think I need to worry about spark after this. It would have been nice to get the sparker at the price listed in #70 but that isn't how it works. Since it is still winter up here I will have to wait before I can tweak and tune the springs and limiters for best response.

President Member
    No hassle to order parts, I just ordered a spare cap, rotor, and module direct from CRT. $70.00 inc. shipping.- Jim

Speedster Member
    Interesting thread so far...I just hope that everyone that is going to install these in the next month or two posts their results. I would like to see some good conclusion to this thread.
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

For sure Jim. Some real world results drivability, fuel mileage, power, etc. would be great!

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
    I think another poster noted that they are $20.

The MAXX modules are $39.00 / I couldn't find them on the CRT site..

- - - Updated - - -
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Quote Originally Posted by 64V-K7 View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    Do you have a link for the MAXX module? I'm not able to find it their website.

Quote Originally Posted by 64V-K7 View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    CRT does not sell the Maxx distributor.

President Member
    The modules are V8 and V6 TBI GM modules. Might be some inside differences but the same, mounting and plugs.

The MAXX Website has 2200 items, how in the world could you find these Modules, Cap and Rotor for the MAXX Dist. in ALL that stuff??

I have never found a eBay seller that had his own Search Engine, only just the useless all of Bay Motors one, with 16,000 plus, Studebaker listings.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    11secavanti, check your PM's, thx
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)