X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the single grey wire is marked tach on my instruction sheet. -Jim

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
      A member asked me for some photos of the CRT without the cap. So here is the interior side. I believe the extra single wire is for a tachometer pickup.
      Thanks for the pics..
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

At this point in the thread have more than one of you that bought units from whichever marketer either installed and run your units or tested them on a distributor machine? I am guessing there are several of us (lurkers) that are waiting for confirmation that these units are not junk and will work well in our Studes. Any info positive or negative will be welcomed. Thanks guys, Bill.

Comment

I'm with Bill. Still running a well worn delco. Anxious to see how they work out.
          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

11 Sec Avanti - check your PM's
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I THINK only one person in this Long Thread said that the CRT (more expensive) is NOT the same as the cheaper MAXX.

I can see that the CRT in Post #90 is a modified version of the Delco Window with common Parts, but maybe not the MAXX, I guess the question is: "IS the CRT worth the difference in $?"

I believe that BOTH questions are yet to be verified???
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I THINK only one person in this Long Thread said that the CRT (more expensive) is NOT the same as the cheaper MAXX.

I can see that the CRT in Post #90 is a modified version of the Delco Window with common Parts, but maybe not the MAXX, I guess the question is: "IS the CRT worth the difference in $?"

I believe that BOTH questions are yet to be verified???
                The MAXX is identical to the CRT
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I purchased the MAXX because of the price when I received it I found I needed a coil also . I did not notice it had male terminals on the cap. I ordered a new cap and coil. Very happy with the way the car runs with the distributor installed. But the Tach does not work .
                  Hawkowner.

Comment

Hawk, They were designed to run 8MM spiral wound wires. Also they are wired for the later tach triggering. Yours probably has a 1/2" thick plastic block between the body of the dist and the cap. $140 dizzy and $150 worth of wires and coil.

Comment

• My car has a sender module under the dash the B+ to run the car came from the Tach module. The resistor wire had been removed and the old distributor was receiving full B+ I got a female terminal cap and I am running The wires that were on the car

Comment

• I purchased the Maxx 9964R Billet Electronic Distributor for 1951-1964 Studebaker v-8 from e-bay. $139.99 USD. It was basically plug and play. No electronic box needed. My mechanic was satisfied with the quality of the unit and the install was quick. He knows my car well and recognized the improved performance immediately. I already had a 40,000 volt coil that seller said would be good. Seller also switched to a female dist. cap to match my wires. After 2 months I am happy with the product and improved performance of my '62 Hawk 289.
                        sigpicJohn Esmonde
                        Holland Landing, Ontario
                        Canada
                        \'62 Hawk
                        \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
                        \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

• My 65 Ranchero uses a CRT Performance one. Its not bad but it needs to be calibrated for your engine. I haven't had any issues with it

Comment

• As noted by the latest post about these distributors (in another thread).

Many of these questions/concerns are pretty funny if you think about it. Reminds me of the kid throwing a temper tantrum at the toy store.

On the gear - Do ANY...of you know what hardness the gear "should be" ? How many understand the iron vs steel, and how to tell the difference.
                            On the way it works - Everyone want's to know how it works...well fine. It should work just fine to your local gas station. Not a single question on it's longevity, or shaft bearing quality. Timing wander (that was mentioned, but no one asked !).
                            No one's owned one long enough to see if it will make 50+ thousand miles...THAT should be the question.

On "ANY" custom part, like this/these distributors, the overall timing should be adjusted to the way THAT person drives, his/her home altitude, that persons gasoline availability.

As another said...a LOT of whining about a good thing...FOR the Studebaker V-8, with little to no understanding/background for the reason for all of the whining...what the hell.
                            Everyone SHOULD be happy..!
                            I'd buy one if I hadn't already made my own crank triggered ignitions (two engines).

Mike

Comment

• Look what I found.....

Holley EFI distributor option
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	holleyefi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1721592

MAXX 99482K distributor (SBC)
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	maxx99482b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1721593

Holley is using the exact same distributor as the MAXX and CRT
                              in their Electronic Fuel Injection Kit / Must say something about the durability of the unit..
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Early HEI GM 6 cylinder inline engines had "The ugly box coil" that mounts outside of cap. Using that coil and the little GM HEI module on a stock Mopar Slant 6 since 2001. The module was from a V8. Works with a VW coil also. Think it all was less than $20 a u pull it. No resistor needed. I got a new module and coil later after I got rich. But my Stude still is 6v with points.

Comment

Working...
                                X