Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New HEI distributor option

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 61Lark View Post
    Do you have a link for the MAXX module? I'm not able to find it their website.

yes, I'll go back and find it

Here...

http://stores.ebay.com/maxx-performa...&_sid=21637774

As far as which one I have will have to wait until it's warm enough in the garage to fool with it.
    Last edited by 64V-K7; 03-21-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    how in the world could you find these Modules,
    It wasn't easy, but trying a few different words in the search window did the trick, notably TBI module. The MAXX units use a GM V8 TBI module wired to a Ford type magnetic pickup. Alan mentioned the TBI module a while back

NOW, looking up the CRT parts, shows the same module and they only want $24.99 vs $39.99 for the MAXX. The CRT sale links you to Ebay site and their module says "made in the USA", whereas the MAXX looks rather plainjane (read clone)... Not too settling seeing this..
    Last edited by 64V-K7; 03-21-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    CRT modules are not on their site yet. I called their phone number , got voice mail and left message. They called back in about 2 or 3 hr. Ordered module, cap, and rotor over the phone. $70.00 total w/no shipping. Ordered Mon. afternoon 3/19, no del. date given, we'll see when it gets here. Same parts for all V-8's, don't know about 6's and 4's. -Jim

President Member
    jrlemke - I just sent you an email..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    Didn't get it? -Jim

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrlemke View Post
    Didn't get it? -Jim
    hmm.. let me check..

Just resent at 10:30 EDT

any luck yet?
    Last edited by 64V-K7; 03-22-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    Not yet, sent you one at 11:12 cdt. -Jim

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrlemke View Post
    Not yet, sent you one at 11:12 cdt. -Jim
    now 1:40 EDT and nothing showing
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Here is the response I got from MAXX about a; Module, Rotor and Cap:

We do not have them in the store at the moment but we do have them. If you want to call about what you need I can make a listing for you.

201-214-7424
    Thanks! Rob

President Member
    A member asked me for some photos of the CRT without the cap. So here is the interior side. I believe the extra single wire is for a tachometer pickup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

President Member
    Yes, the single grey wire is marked tach on my instruction sheet. -Jim

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
    A member asked me for some photos of the CRT without the cap. So here is the interior side. I believe the extra single wire is for a tachometer pickup.
    Thanks for the pics..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    At this point in the thread have more than one of you that bought units from whichever marketer either installed and run your units or tested them on a distributor machine? I am guessing there are several of us (lurkers) that are waiting for confirmation that these units are not junk and will work well in our Studes. Any info positive or negative will be welcomed. Thanks guys, Bill.

I'm with Bill. Still running a well worn delco. Anxious to see how they work out.

President Member
    11 Sec Avanti - check your PM's
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

I THINK only one person in this Long Thread said that the CRT (more expensive) is NOT the same as the cheaper MAXX.

I can see that the CRT in Post #90 is a modified version of the Delco Window with common Parts, but maybe not the MAXX, I guess the question is: "IS the CRT worth the difference in $?"

I believe that BOTH questions are yet to be verified???

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    I THINK only one person in this Long Thread said that the CRT (more expensive) is NOT the same as the cheaper MAXX.

I can see that the CRT in Post #90 is a modified version of the Delco Window with common Parts, but maybe not the MAXX, I guess the question is: "IS the CRT worth the difference in $?"

I believe that BOTH questions are yet to be verified???
    The MAXX is identical to the CRT
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Speedster Member
    I purchased the MAXX because of the price when I received it I found I needed a coil also . I did not notice it had male terminals on the cap. I ordered a new cap and coil. Very happy with the way the car runs with the distributor installed. But the Tach does not work .
    Hawkowner.

President Member
    Hawk, They were designed to run 8MM spiral wound wires. Also they are wired for the later tach triggering. Yours probably has a 1/2" thick plastic block between the body of the dist and the cap. $140 dizzy and $150 worth of wires and coil.

Speedster Member
    My car has a sender module under the dash the B+ to run the car came from the Tach module. The resistor wire had been removed and the old distributor was receiving full B+ I got a female terminal cap and I am running The wires that were on the car

Speedster Member
    I purchased the Maxx 9964R Billet Electronic Distributor for 1951-1964 Studebaker v-8 from e-bay. $139.99 USD. It was basically plug and play. No electronic box needed. My mechanic was satisfied with the quality of the unit and the install was quick. He knows my car well and recognized the improved performance immediately. I already had a 40,000 volt coil that seller said would be good. Seller also switched to a female dist. cap to match my wires. After 2 months I am happy with the product and improved performance of my '62 Hawk 289.
    John Esmonde
    Holland Landing, Ontario
    Canada
    \'62 Hawk
    \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
    \'30 Chev Coach

Speedster Member
    My 65 Ranchero uses a CRT Performance one. Its not bad but it needs to be calibrated for your engine. I haven't had any issues with it

President Member
    As noted by the latest post about these distributors (in another thread).

Many of these questions/concerns are pretty funny if you think about it. Reminds me of the kid throwing a temper tantrum at the toy store.

On the gear - Do ANY...of you know what hardness the gear "should be" ? How many understand the iron vs steel, and how to tell the difference.
    On the way it works - Everyone want's to know how it works...well fine. It should work just fine to your local gas station. Not a single question on it's longevity, or shaft bearing quality. Timing wander (that was mentioned, but no one asked !).
    No one's owned one long enough to see if it will make 50+ thousand miles...THAT should be the question.

On "ANY" custom part, like this/these distributors, the overall timing should be adjusted to the way THAT person drives, his/her home altitude, that persons gasoline availability.

As another said...a LOT of whining about a good thing...FOR the Studebaker V-8, with little to no understanding/background for the reason for all of the whining...what the hell.
    Everyone SHOULD be happy..!
    I'd buy one if I hadn't already made my own crank triggered ignitions (two engines).

Mike

President Member
    Look what I found.....

Holley EFI distributor option
    holleyefi.jpg

MAXX 99482K distributor (SBC)
    maxx99482b.jpg

Holley is using the exact same distributor as the MAXX and CRT
    in their Electronic Fuel Injection Kit / Must say something about the durability of the unit..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Speedster Member
    Early HEI GM 6 cylinder inline engines had "The ugly box coil" that mounts outside of cap. Using that coil and the little GM HEI module on a stock Mopar Slant 6 since 2001. The module was from a V8. Works with a VW coil also. Think it all was less than $20 a u pull it. No resistor needed. I got a new module and coil later after I got rich. But my Stude still is 6v with points.

Speedster Member
    Did anyone see if the Delco window distributor cap fits the MAXX and CRT's? (any way to run a female post cap.)

I suppose the reason for the male posts is the use of 8mm wire?

Yes, the real question is longevity with regard to miles driven and sitting in storage - things like capacitors can go bad simply due to age.

Speedster Member
    I purchased a Female cap from the Billet and a Crome round High. Voltage coil to match

This is the CRT version, which seems to work well.

It will come with some tuning parts..

The black plastic part is the vacuum advance delete, if you chose to use just mechanical advance, or use it as a trigger for a spark computer.

When shipped, they have the black springs and the silver donut installed, so it will be the top curve, 16 deg at 2000 rpm.

On a "JT" build, the JT mechanical advance is limited to 10/11 deg.

I used the gold (light) springs and used the black donut to limit the mechanical advance to 12.5 deg at 1500 RPM.

I also adjusted the internal stop in the vacuum advance for a total of 28 deg of advance, mechanical and vacuum at 3000 RPM and 17" of Hg.
    (12.5 mechanical - 15.5 vacuum)

Click on picture to watch video. Notice the air distortion..

s-l1600.jpgIMG_5306.jpgs-l500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SScopelli View Post
    This is the CRT version, which seems to work well.<snip>
    Thank you for a quality factual post (with video)

Speedster Member
    I am very happy with the performance of the Maxx distributor on my '62 Hawk. Has anyone figured out how to wire the factory tach so it works properly?
    John Esmonde
    Holland Landing, Ontario
    Canada
    \'62 Hawk
    \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
    \'30 Chev Coach

Speedster Member
    What was the R2 curve? I seem to recall it was full advance at 1600. Since I would set total advance (34-36 degrees), I never cared with the amount of advance was in the distributor.

BUT, I'm a Big Advocate of VACUUM ADVANCE. I do believe in fuel economy since gas isn't cheap anymore.