Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New HEI distributor option

New HEI distributor option

Just came across this on Ebay. Three color options and a reasonable price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-1...cAAOSwpYdakv6w

I hadn't seen that post. However, there are concerns expressed in the previous post about advance problems which appear to be addressed with the springs included with the distributor. I don't know about gear quality - but what is not made in China anymore?
    The vendor has 18 thousand + transactions with 99% satisfaction.

President Member
    Until someone tries one of these and reports back all of the issues are pure speculation. My R1 had a non-R Delco distrib for years before I changed it out and never had an issue. I have not seen either MAXX or this vendor with any complaints that these distributors have issues.
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

I like the small cap.
    What does the ad mean by E-Coil?

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 52-fan View Post
    What does the ad mean by E-Coil?
    I assume it means you should use an electronic coil, like one of the Ford "blue tops". Seems they want a guaranteed high voltage delivered to the distributor.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

President Member
    ...As "R1Lark" reminded me regarding the MAXX unit; They're Chinese manufacture... If the quality of the steel used in the distributor cam gear isn't compatible with the camshaft, the gear will spall, shred, self destruct, etc and distribute all those metal flakes around your engine...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

OP's find, a CRT Performance Unit:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-1951-1964-Studebaker-V8-232-259-289-304-Small-HEI-Distributor-
    BLACK/352290838305?hash=item52062b9721:g:rJcAAOSwpYdakv6w

With a Triple Lead Connector AND the 4th. Wire and no "BOX" to plug it into, and also the Centrifugal Advance has to be assembled and Added. In Blue, Red or Black Caps for $169.98

And THEN there is the Maxx 99648K Dist. for Only $139.99 with a Module or Box to plug it into:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAXX-99648K....c100005.m1851

Both cheap, Chinese copies, one of the OTHER with questionable Quality.
    AND, no way to know which one copied the other or if any actually WORK.

Stock Stude. Distributors have ONE wire, Pertronix Electronic Conversions have TWO, I don't know WHAT you do with FOUR and no mating connector!

The Male Studebaker Spark Plug Wires will not fit the Male Terminal Cap.

Of course Electronic Ignition requires a 40,000 Volt Coil, so for $199.00 you get a CRT Performance Dist. with an Ugly Steel Box Coil!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-1964-S....c100005.m1851
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-26-2018 at 06:40 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    A couple of points on this topic. If one would just look at the posting for the "HEI" distributor on ebay, a wiring diagram is available. It appears that this is very similar to the Ford TFI style HEI setup. So, not a big deal on what goes where. And Yes Rich there is a mating connector and wiring!!!!! If you also look on the MAXX website you can see they also are virtually the same dist.

Second point. I have been active on this forum for many years and hardly a week goes by that someone complains why no one makes aftermarket performance parts for Studebakers. Well there is the size of market that we all know very well (does anyone really think Mallory or MSD is going to make a billet Stude dist??), but when someone actually does make something affordable for CASO folks this forum erupts into naysayers that the product is junk without any evidence! Where do you think SI and other Stude vendors get most of their repro parts - CHINA, and maybe India! I have no dog in this hunt as I don't need a new dist, but as I noted before until someone actually tests one of these everyone is just blowing hot air. I don't see any complaints on ebay or elsewhere that these distributors have issues.

I know I would never try to enter the Stude aftermarket as I would be done before I got started with this crowd. I am also in the Hudson club and we are grateful when anyone makes something for our Hudson vehicles and give them a shot to see if they actually have a quality product.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

NONE of that was visible, due to too small and fuzzy, and the Charts turned sideways, useless.

Here is what they "SHOW" that you supposedly get:

CRT Performance.jpg CRT Performance2.jpg
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-26-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64V-K7 View Post
    ...As "R1Lark" reminded me regarding the MAXX unit; They're Chinese manufacture... If the quality of the steel used in the distributor cam gear isn't compatible with the camshaft, the gear will spall, shred, self destruct, etc and distribute all those metal flakes around your engine...
    I have purchased one of the electronic distribtors. I may try to install the gear from the take out distributor. Is the gear coming apart fact or speculation.
    Hawkowner.

President Member
    The trouble with material compatibility is in 51- early 53 steel billet cams. And some of Contraris Cams rollers. Best way to check is to drop the cam on the ground on it's end. The billet will ring and the cast cam will have a dull thud.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkowner View Post
    Is the gear coming apart fact or speculation.
    Hawkowner.
    It was presented as a "What if"...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Speedster Member
    I bought a CRT Performance HEI for my 65 Ranchero with a 200 l6. Runs great! Its not this one of course, but same brand. Maybe the advancement could be faster but its no sports car.

If youre worried about the curve, theres a guy on the Fordsix website that recurves distributers, wsa111, hes out of North Carolina. He charges $75 plus any cost for special springs (usually not needed). Just pay shipping as extra. Nice knowledgeable guy. He redoes everyones distributors over for the Ford people but i dont see why he cant do a Stude. Hes got one of them special curve machines. Just give him the best you can for your specs, like tranny, rear gear, and some engine specs like special cams. Im sure he can change out parts like gears as well too, he cures oiling deficiencies common on DS11 ones.

We need one now for the OHV 6

Good luck Stude Brethren
    Ryan

I have researched reviews of CRT sales of other models of what appear to be the same distributors and found no negative ones. I sent an email to CRT regarding the
    gear but have not received a response yet. I will post it when I do.
    By the way I would think one can use a stock looking coil such as a Pertronix which puts out the 40,000 volts.
    I agree with Dan White on this. I am not in the market (although I wish I were) as my cars have already been converted - one with an expensive distributor with Pertronix guts.
    One additional thing. The HEI units need the spiral wound plug wires for best performance.

Do you have any hands on experience with any of these to validate your negative comments and opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    OP's find, a CRT Performance Unit:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-1951-1964-Studebaker-V8-232-259-289-304-Small-HEI-Distributor-
    BLACK/352290838305?hash=item52062b9721:g:rJcAAOSwpYdakv6w

With a Triple Lead Connector AND the 4th. Wire and no "BOX" to plug it into, and also the Centrifugal Advance has to be assembled and Added. In Blue, Red or Black Caps for $169.98

And THEN there is the Maxx 99648K Dist. for Only $139.99 with a Module or Box to plug it into:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAXX-99648K....c100005.m1851

Both cheap, Chinese copies, one of the OTHER with questionable Quality.
    AND, no way to know which one copied the other or if any actually WORK.

Stock Stude. Distributors have ONE wire, Pertronix Electronic Conversions have TWO, I don't know WHAT you do with FOUR and no mating connector!

The Male Studebaker Spark Plug Wires will not fit the Male Terminal Cap.

Of course Electronic Ignition requires a 40,000 Volt Coil, so for $199.00 you get a CRT Performance Dist. with an Ugly Steel Box Coil!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-1964-S....c100005.m1851
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Quote Originally Posted by StarDiero75 View Post
    We need one now for the OHV 6
    Well said!

President Member
    I posted on the other thread about this that I have purchased one and will take it apart when I get it.

Amazing... Simply amazing...

Speedster Member
    I have received one of the Billett Distributors did my down and dirty Rockwell hardness test ,dot punch and hammer ,on the drive gear ,it is definitely case hardened will compare to the take out when I get the coil .
    Hawkowner

What was the Rockwell C number?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkowner View Post
    I have received one of the Billett Distributors did my down and dirty Rockwell hardness test ,dot punch and hammer ,on the drive gear ,it is definitely case hardened will compare to the take out when I get the coil .
    Hawkowner

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    What was the Rockwell C number?
    Maybe it was only in the B range!
    David L

For those durious about wth the Rockwell scale numbers mean..
    Using their 'tool' you push on the surface of your test material and read the indentation of the probe end.
    The amount of indentation tells you the 'hardness' of the metal at that particular point.

Quote Originally Posted by 64Avanti View Post
    Maybe it was only in the B range!

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

A short vido on how to hardness test a metal surface using a Rockwell hardness test unit....

President Member
    I might want to check the oil pump drive end also...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

In order for the Rockwell number on the Chinese drive gear to mean anything, we'd need to know the Rockwell of the OEM drive gear. I have no idea about Rockwells, but do know the OEM one is surprisingly soft. Seems most here are just out to bash the new distributor, but maybe we ought to wait till someone actually tests one.

As for offshore parts, most of us try to avoid them. But despite our efforts, it's near impossible nowadays. OTOH, if these distributors prove to be OK, they will knock the bottom out of the market for those that have been provided by one of our favorite vendors, for several years now. I'd be willing to bet those have offshore parts in them too. Has anyone tested the Rockwell on those drive gears yet?

President Member
    Joe, I agree with you 100%. Most of Mallory's stuff was made off shore toward the end. If the quality of these distributors is good, then it will hurt the Studebaker vendors that are selling the Mallory parts or are spending a bunch of time and money rebuilding original distributors. It would be tough for me to do a complete rebuild on an original Delco or Prestolite distributor for 150 bucks that a new one that is fully electronic costs when the parts needed and the labor it takes to do a good job are added up. I'm interested in hearing how the new distributors work out. Bud

President Member
    My unit and coil arrived Thursday and got the HEI wires Friday. If it performs as good as it looks then it is a winner for me. Should have a test firing by the end of the week. But the quality appearance is A+ and total weight is about 4 lbs. I like the delco window style distributors but they tend to have 2-3 + degrees spark timing swings at high rpm.
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Another question is: where do you get parts for them if they fail. Even worse if it happened in the moddle of a trip. I guess that if i had one, I would want to carry a spare module.

President Member
    Actually the gear should be cast iron not steel!

11SecAvanti Did you get the Maxx or the CRT?

President Member
    Went with the CRT for $189. All the wiring and coil included in this kit. Plug wires came from Summit.

President Member
    MAXX sells spare modules. I assume CRT does as well.
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
    Plug wires came from Summit.
    Part # pls..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

When I bought my Hawk the seller had installed the mopar electronic ignition system. This consists of a mopar distributor, electronic control unit and ballast resistor all available from Chrysler parts. I also have another complete conversion unit I carry in the trunk in case any thing goes awry on a road trip. I think the whole setup is american made with parts readily available and seems to have worked flawlessly for at least the last ten years that I know of. I'm sure its just as reliable as off shore goods and probably cheaper.

My receipt for the Pertronix powered HEI distributor I recently purchased from a Studebaker vendor was $490. It did not include the coil or plug wires. That did include shipping.

And CRT does sell parts - the module is less than $20.

President Member
    If parts for the new CRT distributors are readily available, then I don't see a reason not to use them as the price is right. Bud

Excellent point, Joe.
    The only reason I tossed some info up there was in response to the hardness question.
    You are also correct that you have to know both components hardness number to get good life.
    And to add... The hardness numbers have to be different. You cannot have the two components at the same hardness level.
    That causes galling, and will destroy both components.
    I have no clue as to the hardness of these items. But the buyer needs to know what he/she/it starts with and adds compatible pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    In order for the Rockwell number on the Chinese drive gear to mean anything, we'd need to know the Rockwell of the OEM drive gear. I have no idea about Rockwells, but do know the OEM one is surprisingly soft. Seems most here are just out to bash the new distributor, but maybe we ought to wait till someone actually tests one. <snip>

Jeff

Speedster Member
    I have installed the distributor and has made a huge improvement on the idle. Have not test driven it yet .No Tac as wired IWill try to hook sendor to the the lead of distributor .The
    I am surprise it ran 12 volts going to coil point gap .0010 burnt points. Points condenser Coil and cap would have Close to 60 bucks.

President Member
    Made the HEI install on a test engine stand and no issues on install or start up. Went with the light gold spring and gold bushings for quick mechanical advance off idle. Nice and steady control timing at 2500 rpm timing. Set the static advance at 10 degrees and recorded a mechanical advance of 20 degrees for 30 total. So a 12 would give the ideal 32 degrees mechanical. Like the quick ramp up of the timing. On the wires go with any snap fit spiral core 8 mm size and cut the lengths required.
    Attached Images Attached Images