No announcement yet.

New HEI distributor option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same questions. I looked on ebay, and found a replacement cap and rotor, but not the module. It seems unlikely that they would be available at parts stores, so if I were to purchase the distributor, I would want to travel with a spare cap, rotor, and module. I don't really mind points and condenser, but my delco dizzy is pretty worn, and the cost to rebuild is higher than this replacement. A little hotter spark is a nice thought also.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

As noted the modules are available from the seller on their website. I think another poster noted that they are $20.
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Please post a link to their website! I'm not very handy on my computer.- Jim

Comment

The first post has a link to the Ebay listing and there you can find a "Visit the Store" link on the right hand side of the Ebay listing

Comment

Thank you! I'm lucky I can do this!- Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
              As noted the modules are available from the seller on their website. I think another poster noted that they are $20.
              The modules are the same as the GM distributor??

(More) The reason I asked this is because I can't find the modules ( except for Ford type) on their site...
              Last edited by 64V-K7; 03-13-2018, 04:38 AM. Reason: more info
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

That would simplify things if true! -Jim

Comment

It is not the same as GM. The GM has 4 male tabs, 2 on each end. The Maxx has their connectors in the middle and the module is thicker. They have the cap, rotor and module listed for $39.00.

Comment

The original post was about the crt distibutor. Not sure if it takes the same replacement parts.
                    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

There are 3 places putting their names on them and they are all the same distributer.

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
                        Made the HEI install on a test engine stand and no issues on install or start up. Went with the light gold spring and gold bushings for quick mechanical advance off idle. Nice and steady control timing at 2500 rpm timing. Set the static advance at 10 degrees and recorded a mechanical advance of 20 degrees for 30 total. So a 12 would give the ideal 32 degrees mechanical. Like the quick ramp up of the timing. On the wires go with any snap fit spiral core 8 mm size and cut the lengths required.
                        Sounds promising. I tried out one of the cheapo small cap hei distributors for a chevy. Not the same seller, so I have no idea if they are made the same. The one I purchased is here:
                        A-Team Performance SBC BBC Small & Big Block Chevy 305 327 350 454 Small Base Cap R2R Distributor. For small block and big block engines. Small base and cap for space savings. With this distributor all you need is an external coil, the 2 wires will hook up to it and you're "ready to run".

Again, this unit IS NOT THE SAME SELLER, SO MAY NOT HAVE ANY OF THE SAME INTERNALS. Just posting what I found. Put it on my Sun distributor machine and at 1500 rpm it actually RETARDED the timing 8 crank degrees. It did not reach full mechanical advance (which was 20 crank degrees) until 7000 rpm!!!!!! I am sending it back. I took it apart and tried replacing the very strong springs with the weakest ones I had on hand. Still had to go 5000 rpm to get full mechanical advance, and still had the retard issue. I think I figured out the retard issue. Look at the two pics of the reluctor wheel. It spins a few degrees on the shaft because that groove in the shaft is too wide. Real piece of crap.

Would appreciate it if the next guy who purchases a CRT for a Studebaker would take a pic with the cap and rotor off so I can see if it has the same internals as the one I bought for the chevy engine.

This one from CRT looks EXACTLY like the one I just diagnosed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SB-Chevy-SB...EAAOSw44BYPNLT
                        Attached Files

Comment

Lynn, the Maxx distributor that I received this week looks very different from the one you tested. It will be a while before I can install it in my car, but if it works as good as it looks I'll be ordering another.

Nick
                          Attached Files

Comment

Lynn, thank you for some very good input. I would like to update my distributor, but do not want to waste money on some inferior product. I have tried to find a shop locally here , that would still have a distributor machine, but had no luck. I still may do the mallorey from one of our vendors, or try to find the parts to rebuild my delco.

Comment

Originally posted by 61Lark View Post
                              Lynn, the Maxx distributor that I received this week looks very different from the one you tested. It will be a while before I can install it in my car, but if it works as good as it looks I'll be ordering another.

Nick
                              and I think those rotors are standard GM. I have an old window unit and will compare the rotors.
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Very interesting Nick. That looks like the old Ford style of wheel and pick up, but with GM weights and springs, and GM rotor. So easy to dial in your mechanical advance with that set up.

Looks way better than the junk I bought.

Comment

Working...
                                X