No announcement yet.

New HEI distributor option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have any hands on experience with any of these to validate your negative comments and opinions?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    OP's find, a CRT Performance Unit:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-1951-1964-Studebaker-V8-232-259-289-304-Small-HEI-Distributor-
    BLACK/352290838305?hash=item52062b9721:g:rJcAAOSwpYdakv6w

With a Triple Lead Connector AND the 4th. Wire and no "BOX" to plug it into, and also the Centrifugal Advance has to be assembled and Added. In Blue, Red or Black Caps for $169.98

And THEN there is the Maxx 99648K Dist. for Only $139.99 with a Module or Box to plug it into:

Both cheap, Chinese copies, one of the OTHER with questionable Quality.
    AND, no way to know which one copied the other or if any actually WORK.

Stock Stude. Distributors have ONE wire, Pertronix Electronic Conversions have TWO, I don't know WHAT you do with FOUR and no mating connector!

The Male Studebaker Spark Plug Wires will not fit the Male Terminal Cap.

Of course Electronic Ignition requires a 40,000 Volt Coil, so for $199.00 you get a CRT Performance Dist. with an Ugly Steel Box Coil!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-1964-S....c100005.m1851
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by StarDiero75 View Post
      We need one now for the OHV 6
      Well said!
      sigpic

Comment

I posted on the other thread about this that I have purchased one and will take it apart when I get it.
        David L

Comment

Amazing... Simply amazing...

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

I have received one of the Billett Distributors did my down and dirty Rockwell hardness test ,dot punch and hammer ,on the drive gear ,it is definitely case hardened will compare to the take out when I get the coil .
            Hawkowner

Comment

What was the Rockwell C number?

Originally posted by Hawkowner View Post
              I have received one of the Billett Distributors did my down and dirty Rockwell hardness test ,dot punch and hammer ,on the drive gear ,it is definitely case hardened will compare to the take out when I get the coil .
              Hawkowner

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                What was the Rockwell C number?
                Maybe it was only in the B range!
                David L

Comment

For those durious about wth the Rockwell scale numbers mean..
                  Using their 'tool' you push on the surface of your test material and read the indentation of the probe end.
                  The amount of indentation tells you the 'hardness' of the metal at that particular point.

Originally posted by 64Avanti View Post
                  Maybe it was only in the B range!

Jeff

Comment

A short vido on how to hardness test a metal surface using a Rockwell hardness test unit....

Jeff

Comment

I might want to check the oil pump drive end also...
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

In order for the Rockwell number on the Chinese drive gear to mean anything, we'd need to know the Rockwell of the OEM drive gear. I have no idea about Rockwells, but do know the OEM one is surprisingly soft. Seems most here are just out to bash the new distributor, but maybe we ought to wait till someone actually tests one.

As for offshore parts, most of us try to avoid them. But despite our efforts, it's near impossible nowadays. OTOH, if these distributors prove to be OK, they will knock the bottom out of the market for those that have been provided by one of our favorite vendors, for several years now. I'd be willing to bet those have offshore parts in them too. Has anyone tested the Rockwell on those drive gears yet?

Comment

Joe, I agree with you 100%. Most of Mallory's stuff was made off shore toward the end. If the quality of these distributors is good, then it will hurt the Studebaker vendors that are selling the Mallory parts or are spending a bunch of time and money rebuilding original distributors. It would be tough for me to do a complete rebuild on an original Delco or Prestolite distributor for 150 bucks that a new one that is fully electronic costs when the parts needed and the labor it takes to do a good job are added up. I'm interested in hearing how the new distributors work out. Bud

Comment

My unit and coil arrived Thursday and got the HEI wires Friday. If it performs as good as it looks then it is a winner for me. Should have a test firing by the end of the week. But the quality appearance is A+ and total weight is about 4 lbs. I like the delco window style distributors but they tend to have 2-3 + degrees spark timing swings at high rpm.
                            Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Another question is: where do you get parts for them if they fail. Even worse if it happened in the moddle of a trip. I guess that if i had one, I would want to carry a spare module.
                              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Actually the gear should be cast iron not steel!
                                David L

Comment

Working...
                                X