Transmission/Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Transmission/Overdrive

Can someone explain to me how the speedometer drive gear can accurately drive the speedometer on 1955 champion with T96 /R 10 OD.. The gear is free spinning on the output shaft when I disassembled the R 10 to replace Transmission and OD seals/gaskets..
    1. My speedometer did work fine before I broke units down.
    2.Shop manual shows Items 42 and 43 as speedometer and governor drive gears
    3. Fig 31 of the shop manual /Parts of the overdrive transmission

The governor gear cannot be verified as working,, I just repaired and reworked the solenoid, while I have the engine and transmission out.

Now, is it that the universal joint flange when torque down will pull the overdrive shaft against the overdrive bearing with enough tension to drive the gears. It’s the only way I can see this working.

I would be very grateful if someone would respond with anything to relieve my mind,
    I get my engine back from the machine shop in 5 days and I would like to wrap this situation up and move on to engine rebuild.

Thanks in Advance
    Bill

The way I always looked at it was that the speedometer gear required so little effort to turn that the driving gear's natural friction with the shaft was enough to keep the gear turning.

That's a crappily worded answer, so if I think of how to phrase it more clearly, I will edit this.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Most of the ones I've seen have a small pin or a key. -Jim

Comment

thanks RaidoRoy. I will sleep much better tonight!!!

Comment

I'm just happy to have learned a new word today...........CRAPPILY!!!! Now to get into the Funk & Wagnel to get the proper and precise definition of this new, exciting word. They say that if you use a new word in a sentence 20 times, you will never forget it. I pity the people I will talk to tomorrow. Hopefully I will get the 20 times done before Sunday, or church might be very interesting.
          Oh, and to help answer the question on the speedo drive gear, all of mine are so far off that I put a "Speedometer APP" on my cell phone and use it. Guess it works off of GPS.........but it works great and on all the cars.
          Ah, thanks, Roy.....I think.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

That's a short-tail T-96. IIRC, the two worm gears, one for the speedo, and one for the governor, are held in as part of a stack comprised of them, the rear bearing, a metal sleeve, and the yoke and yoke nut. Long-tail transmissions used a little steel ball in a recess to lock the worms to the shaft.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The drive gear has a square female and the cable is male, it turns the cable via direct drive.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07753.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1719655Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07758.JPG
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1719656Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07762.JPG
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1719657

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07763.JPG
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1719658Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07761.JPG
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1719659Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07757.JPG
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1719660 Some additional photos, the first picture is the spedo end just to show how it fits on the cable

Comment

Working...
                X