Rack and Pinion Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Rack and Pinion Steering

I have found myself in a bind I am trying to install R3 headers into my 56 Skyhawk Passenger no Problem Drivers side Problem these are the new R3 from Stude international. I was considering changing over to a Rack and Pinion system which would eliminate the interference problem.But I don't have any info on this I was told a Buick Rack could be installed fairly easily but which one ?. Any body out there with some Ideas I'm really up against the wall on this. HELP.

Which hole are you using in the frame mount(s)?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sho, All Buick's are power. The one's to get are from the late 80's through the 90's. If you don't need power use a 97 Chev. Impreza steering box. But you will still need to make your own bracket to hold it and make your own linkage from the column to the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        Sho, All Buick's are power. The one's to get are from the late 80's through the 90's. If you don't need power use a 97 Chev. Impreza steering box. But you will still need to make your own bracket to hold it and make your own linkage from the column to the box.
        I am having trouble with your directions/suggestions. To me, an Impreza is a Subaru.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Google it. You will find that Chev. imported Subaru's and put Chev. badges on them in 97.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            Google it. You will find that Chev. imported Subaru's and put Chev. badges on them in 97.
            I spent one-half hour on Google and didn't find such a car. GM imported many foreign cars and labeled them as Chevrolets, Buicks, etc., but they did not maintain their original maker's model name as in your referring to the car as a "97 Chev. Impreza".
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Senior moment. One center steer rack I have on the shelf, I marked on the tag Impreza . The other is marked Lanos, that is the 97 Chevy one. Korean not Japanese.

Comment

Sometimes the first idea that comes to mind is not necessarily the best one.

Deepnhock might just have the answer. You may be able to move the engine over a bit to gain clearance.
                Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-23-2018, 06:51 PM.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Both of my Skyline engine swaps were pretty tight between the turbo and the steering. In the case of my RX-7, we were able to TILT the engine slightly and get adequate clearance - depends on the nature of the interference. There are more factory cars than you might think that have the engines off center for clearance issues.

My friend Sean has built custom headers for about 40 years, and he thinks nothing of reshaping one or two tubes to get clearance. If you think you have tight clearance issues, this photo will put it in perspective:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nissan Sylvia Turbo Motor in BMW Z3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1719650
                  Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                  See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

ACDELCO 36RO364

buick skylark 1995-1998
                    chevrolet beretta 1994-1996
                    chevrolet cavalier 1989-1994
                    chevrolet corsica 1994-1996
                    oldsmobile achieva 1992-1998
                    oldsmobile firenza 1987-1988
                    pontiac grand am 1985-1998
                    pontiac j2000 1982-1985
                    pontiac sunbird 1986-1994

Comment

Steeroids sells a center take off rack and pinion with bolt in parts for an early Mustang or Corvette ... but not a Studebaker. Theirs has 6.1 inches of travel and good tie rod (bump steer) adjustments. However, depending on your engine, oil pan clearance can be a problem ... and connections to your particular steering column are affected by the fixed alignment of their rack. I'm custom machining their Mustang center take off plate to get clearance to my custom LS oil pan ... and rotating the rack to (hopefully) use their supplied two steering knuckles with just one thrust bearing. Connecting the rack and bearing to the Studebaker frame does require messing around with their (Mustang/Corvette) brackets. Note: my first attempt used the Corvette plate and required it to be flipped ... making the steering connection sloppy (two bearings) and tie rod connection extended.

Comment

I'm custom machining their Mustang center take off plate to get clearance to my custom LS oil pan ... and rotating the rack to (hopefully) use their supplied two steering knuckles with just one thrust bearing. Connecting the rack and bearing to the Studebaker frame does require messing around with their (Mustang/Corvette) brackets.
                        Anything can be made to work; some less expensively, some less labor, some less talent required. FWIW, Steeroids is not CASO-friendly, $1700 for the basic Mustang kit, then all the labor and misc.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                        X