Thread: Studebakers For Sale Around the Northwest

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Studebakers For Sale Around the Northwest

Considering I explored Arizona last time I figured why not hike up the same meridian to the general area of Washington (the state obviously). I found a nice collection of cars in both cheap project status and nearly finished drivers. Most importantly, however, they are not priced too far out of the range of CASO budgets! Happy viewing!

PROJECTS:

1952 Champion sedan - https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/c...447267184.html

1957 Scotsman wagon - https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/c...435075155.html

1962 Champ - https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...442160294.html

DRIVERS:

1949 Commander sedan - https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...496638539.html

1953 Champion Coupe - https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/...445819679.html

1959 Lark VIII Hardtop - https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...493093340.html
    Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 02-14-2018 at 09:18 PM.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
    Now this is a nice looking early Lark hardtop. How is Portland for rusty cars? Salty air, and lots of rain in Portland?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
    S/B Northwest my friend.
    OOPS! Fixed it...
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    Now this is a nice looking early Lark hardtop. How is Portland for rusty cars? Salty air, and lots of rain in Portland?
    Portland is 100 miles from the Pacific Ocean, separated by the Coast Mountain Range. So, no salt air at all.

Silver Hawk Member
    and lots of rain in Portland?
    Quote Originally Posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    Portland is 100 miles from the Pacific Ocean, separated by the Coast Mountain Range. So, no salt air at all.
    For true, it rains. Some of the crustiest, rustiest, moss-covered vehicles you'll ever see can be found mouldering away in back yards of the rain forests of the PNW.
    No, also for true, it's not the salt air which usually causes rust in PTL; it's the year-round 100% humidity in some micro-climates between there and the ocean. PTL only averages 80% humidity.
    Maybe, never make the mistake of assuming where a car is currently for sale is where it spent its earlier years. I got royally screwed on a '56J advertised as a CA car. Upon delivery, I found terminal rust and MO license plates used as patch panels.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 02-15-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    PackardV8

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    Even though it is wet a lot of the time here there is little problem with rust because they do not use salt on the roads in the winter. That being said, the past 2 years they have been experimenting with salt on some of the highly traveled roads in the hills. That is a recent development, however. This car is in Albany which is about 70 miles south of Portland. No salt used down there as far as I know. Cars don't generally suffer from rust up here. I agree this is a nice looking car. He might be asking a bit too much but it looks like he might be willing to negotiate a bit.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Blog Entries
    Ok, guess I was confusing Portland and Seattle..........
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

President Member
    Seattle and Portland are sister cities, each get about 37" of rain a year, and at least half falls in the three months of Nov, Dec and Jan. Portland does get ice though, which Seattle doesn't get. Little UV so paint and interiors last. It's as though everything ages at the same speed. No salt or snow, so there is none of the structural problems found in much of the northern tier. The west side of the mountains has an abundance of original cars, with original paint and interiors. If you don't believe it go to Portland or Seattle Craigslist. There is no humidity in the summer, like 2/3 of the country experience. Summer months 25-55% humidity and NO rain. One of my favorite things is go to one of the less affluent parts of the Seattle area and watch the forty and fifty year old original cars, still used as transportation. In most places they would have been throw away cars, but people drive them here because they can.

Speedster Member
    Who knows, Kenny Durkee always has room for one more. I'm in Victoria tomorrow but on Sunday I might have time to check out the
    '53 Champion in Vancouver
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    Even though it is wet a lot of the time here there is little problem with rust because they do not use salt on the roads in the winter. That being said, the past 2 years they have been experimenting with salt on some of the highly traveled roads in the hills. That is a recent development, however. This car is in Albany which is about 70 miles south of Portland. No salt used down there as far as I know. Cars don't generally suffer from rust up here. I agree this is a nice looking car. He might be asking a bit too much but it looks like he might be willing to negotiate a bit.
    The black ‘59 Lark hardtop spent most of it’s life in the Portland area, which is not a bad thing. Albany is about 70 miles south of Portland, but is similarly inland - far from the Pacific Ocean.

I was interested in the 1959 Lark hardtop, so today I went to Albany OR to look at it. After seeing it, I decided to not make an offer, since what I thought it was worth based on it's present condition was too far off what the seller is asking. I do believe it is a very good candidate for restoration.

It is a Canadian-built car. S/N 59VC-1707, body tag 59V-J6 2347, engine s/n VC15470. The frame, floors, and trunk pan are solid, just surface rust where the steel has been exposed. The only rust issues I found were at the bottom/back ends of the front fenders, the lower front corner of the drivers door, and the bottom/front edges of the rear wheel wells. The only dent I remember was in the passenger side rocker panel. There is a repair on the hood where a liberated fan blade chose to make its departure from the engine compartment. It currently has a six-bladed replacement fan installed.

The seats are nice, no tears. They are not the fold-flat seats. The carpet is ok, but just dirty. The headliner is good with no tears or water stains. It is dirty in places from being touched. The decorative edging on both the driver's and passenger's sun visors is coming off. The package shelf was faded, but flat and not water stained. The door panels, back seat side panels, and armrests looked good. All the glass is good, but the back windows were difficult to roll up and down. When they were up as far as they would go, they did not seat against the windows in the doors. There was about a 25.4 mm gap (Canadian car) where rain could get in.

The engine fired right up and did not smoke. The seller, Tony (says he was a SDC member until last year) said he was told the engine was rebuilt sometime in the past few years. I drove it around the block, and as I was getting back to the house, I noticed it seemed to be missing on one cylinder (blow-by or maybe a burned/sticking valve). I could hear it in the exhaust. He said the only thing he's done in the engine compartment is change the oil, replace the spark plug wires, and install a heater control valve. It does have an electric fuel pump.

The brakes stopped the car well, but need to be adjusted. They were grabbing a little, and didn't seem to be applying evenly. There seemed to be a little too much play in the steering. The tires didn't help. It has a matched set of 4 Michelin radials, but they are a large diameter, wide, and not evenly inflated. I think I saw 235/70, but I'm not sure. I noticed it bounced quite a bit, and Tony mentioned he thought it needed new shocks.

It has a working Studebaker AM radio with a new speaker. I went to look under the front passenger seat to see if it had a Climatizer, but instead found a very nice looking Kleenex tissue dispenser accessory with the stylized bird-shaped opening where the tissues are pulled out. There were quite a few wires hanging down under the dash near the bottom of the steering column. The lights, gauges, and wipers all worked. The fan motor worked, but was noisy.

It's not listed in the Craigslist ad, but Tony said he has a number of replacement parts (hood, trunk lid, grill pan), and another hardtop parts car with good front fenders and good rear window regulators.

It will need some work to bring it back up to a daily driver. Probably would not be safe to take it on the highway until some of the issues are addressed.
    Last edited by Mark L; 02-21-2018 at 09:38 PM.
    Mark L

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dleroux View Post
    Who knows, Kenny Durkee always has room for one more. I'm in Victoria tomorrow but on Sunday I might have time to check out the
    '53 Champion in Vancouver
    Hey! Wait a minute! I already have seven... There are only just so many hours in the day, for crying out loud! (My Grandpa always used to say that-- "For crying out loud!"... I never really knew what it meant, but it sounds good here...)
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1970 Avanti

Spring is coming. Time to sell a few , so there is room to buy more.