Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cars From Our Past

Speedster Member

Cars From Our Past

If you guys are like me i'm sure you have all owned have cars from your past that you wish you still owned. I was thinking back last night of all the cars that I once owned but was foolish enough to sell and all these years later wish that i still owned.....It seems even more sad when you list them in writing. When I look at them now I realize how lucky I was to come up in this generation.

1936 Chevy Coupe, 6 cyl, 3spd stick, with a Rumble Seat
    1939 Buick Coupe, Straight 8, 320C.I. , Twin Carb, Split Manifold, 3 Spd Stick on Column
    1954 Buick Convertible V8, Auto
    1954 Oldsmobile 88 Holiday 2dr Hardtop V8 Automatic
    1955 Pontiac Chieftan 2dr Hardtop V8 3spd Stick On Column
    1957 Chevrolet Belair 2dr Hardtop 283 V8 Automatic
    1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk V8 Automatic
    1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2dr Sedan 348 V8 3spd Stick On Column
    1960 Studebaker Lark 2dr Coupe V8 3spd Stick On floor
    1963 Chevrolet SS 2dr Hardtop V8 327CI 300hp 4spd Floor Shift
    1967 Chevrolet Chevelle 2dr Hardtop V8 396 350hp 4spd Floor Shift
    1978 Chevrolet Corvette Silver Anniversary L82 350 V8 Automatic
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette V8 350 Last Of The High Fender Vettes
    1934 Chevrolet 3 Window Coupe 502 CI BBC 700R4
    1932 Ford 5 Window Deuce Coupe 409 CI V8 Turbo 400 W/W30 Oldsmobile Specs 9" Ford Posi
    1961 Studebaker Hawk 289 V8 4spd Floor Shift Bucket Seats 3.31 TT

Im hoping to keep the last car on this list as I have always liked the Studebaker Hawks and i'm a lot older and time is growing shorter. I would like to hear about your past rides if you care to share. I'm hoping the 1961 Hawk will cure my fever for a "Fun To Drive" car with those beautiful Fender and Hood contours.........

President Member
    The only two cars in a long list that I kick myself in the butt for selling is my 59' Triumph TR3 and my 39' Lasalle in that order. The rest were fun. They included a 37', 57' and 58' Auto Union DKW, 55' VW, 78' Triumph Spitfire, 62' Thunderbird, A red V8 62' Buick Special convertible, 64' Corvair Monza Spyder convertible, 62' Pontiac Tempest coupe, a red 65' V8 Mustang convertible and a 57' Plymouth Fury two door mosquito fogger. There were others but they were plain boring.

President Member
    Well, I won't run a lengthy list but in 2000 I opted to buy a Sunbeam Tiger under the guise that if fullfilled a number of aspects. Those being a sports car, a hot rod, a smaller car, a hardtop AND a convertible etc. They ploy to my wife was that I would sell MOST of my fleet. Today, 18 years later the Tiger (a near basket case) still sits on jackstands and I have purchased additional cars (one being my Studebaker). So, when you say, "Im hoping to keep the last car on this list as I have always liked the Studebaker Hawks and i'm a lot older and time is growing shorter," I wish you the best but but my expereience has been that it doesn't happen - most likely you will acquitre more.

As for cars I'd really want back, my Datsun 240Z and my Volvo PV544. And really I wouldn't want those back, but better versions of them.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member
    I had 10 cars that I left at my Fathers house when Old Shovel Nose called in Nov. of 69. On Feb 9, 1971 the Sylmar quake struck, just 150 feet behind his house. The hill behind his house had numerous cracks in it and the first rain part of the hill was in his pool and basement. All of my trophies from San Fernando Raceway were thrown in the trash and all but 3 of my cars were sold. A 57 T-Bird with both tops, a 62 T-Bird 2 seater, a 53K with 155479 heads, a 58 MGA roadster with a 289 Ford engine and another MGA roadster that I was in the middle of putting a 289 in when I left that I would love to have back. But no place to put them all now.
    Last edited by Alan; 02-15-2018 at 12:46 PM.

President Member
    I’ll just mention one, a 69 Camaro....350 4 speed . I was just short of my 20th birthday in 68 and since I wasn’t drafted yet I figured Uncle Sam missed me so I ordered my first new car. $2714. Two weeks after I got the car I got my draft notice.

Silver Hawk Member
    The only one I'm sorry I sold was a 67 Corvette convertible with a 427 and 4-speed. Some I've still got after 25-50 years of ownership: 62 Impala convertible, 70 Camaro SS350, 54 Stude 3R6 pickup, 64 Stude Daytona hardtop, 78 El Camino 350/4-spd, 74 Avanti II 400/4-spd, 89 Z-28 w/5-spd.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    The only one I'm sorry I sold was a 67 Corvette convertible with a 427 and 4-speed. Some I've still got after 25-50 years of ownership: 62 Impala convertible, 70 Camaro SS350, 54 Stude 3R6 pickup, 64 Stude Daytona hardtop, 78 El Camino 350/4-spd, 74 Avanti II 400/4-spd, 89 Z-28 w/5-spd.
    Back in 1979 I was Corvette shopping. There was a dealer with a nice selection of used ones close by my town. I went to buy one, trading in my 1st Corvette a 1965 convertible, 327 4 speed in rough shape, barely safe enough to drive the 50 miles to his lot, and in need of major body & paint.
    The car I wanted was a 1967 silver Corvette convertible 427 4 speed, 2 tops, leather seats, one previous owner. It was priced around $18,000 at the time. Right beside it was a 1974 Corvette 454 convertible for $10,900. I bought the 74 because of the price and it was a cool car, last year of the 454, and hard to find in a full convertible.
    Last summer a friend in Europe had me go look at a 67 Corvette for him to do an appraisal and negotiate a deal if it was a good car.
    It was the same car I passed on in 1979, and now was approx $90,000. A smoking deal for this fully documented car. As for the 74 I smashed it up, it was repaired, smashed again and as far as I know is rebuilt and back on the road. Current value of a similar 74 is about $25 to 30,000.67vet65chev 014.jpgThis picture I took last summer.

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm too new to really participate in this discussion but I do hope I never come to a point in my life that forced my to part from my GT Hawk. She's a fine lassie and I would stumble, dazed and confused, for a long while while I contemplate my fate.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

President Member
    '56 Golden Hawk (automatic) and '58 Packard Hawk (3 speed/overdrive). I have another '56 Golden Hawk now that is a factory 3 speed/overdrive car so that probably cancels letting the first one go, but I frequently kick myself in the rear for letting the Packard Hawk get away (yes it was factory equipped with the 3 speed/overdrive)!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive - Running, but not yet driving)

I have had a lot of cars for a guy from my background and area, but the one that I had the most fun with and actually made most people upset with when they raced me was an old 61 Falcon Ranchero with a 306 horsepower Shelby 289 that we modified even more. The Ranchero was fairly rusty, REAL ugly, had tin snip cut-out rear fenders, and just did everything I wanted to do back in that period ('66 thru'75). It was loads of fun, quite surprisingly fast, looked stock until I put a beam axle under the front and cut the wheel wells out and mounted a 9 inch with big wheels and slicks. People would laugh and ask me how I was going to get it rolling with those big slicks, ha ! It would even pull small wheelies !!! Silly boy, silly truck, LOADS of fun !

President Member
    I used to wheel & deal in cheap used cars & went thru over 200.....lots of them were fun to have (for a few days to a few months). Hard to pick which one would rise to the top as far as wanting to have it back, but that 71 chevelle w/ 454 4spd & cowl induction is the one I regret the most.....I sold it during a dark time in my life & didn't realize the "muscle car" fad was in full swing....I sold it for a fraction of what it was worth.

'62 Chevy Bel Air station wagon
    '64 Pontiac Bonneville (best car ever)
    '59 Nash Metropolitan (didn't run)
    '63 Studebaker Avanti
    '67 Ford Mustang
    '70 Lincoln Continental
    '82 Datsun Maxima
    '89 Dodge Dakota
    '83 Dodge Aries
    '90 Geo Prizm
    '93 Plymouth Grand Voyager
    '98 Mercury Moutaineer
    '02 Lincoln LS
    '15 Ford Fusion
    '16 Ford Explorer
    '66 Dodge Charger
    '67 Dodge Charger
    '69 Corvette conv. 427/435hp 3-deuces
    '78 Corvette Silver Anniversary L82
    '70 Avanti
    ''02 Avanti conv
    '05 Kia Spectra
    '03 Honda Pilot
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Golden Hawk Member
    I have personally owned over 100 cars including more than 50 Studebakers. I am of the catch and release style. I like to own and experience a lot of different cars. I have only owned seven new cars, but many others were two to three years old (let someone else take a big depreciation hit). The most that I have had at one time is ten. Off the top of my head, if I had to pick three that I would like to have back, they would be; 1953 Commander Starliner that I knew since new and rebuilt, 1966 Dodge Charger that I bought new and 1972 Plymouth GTX that I bought from the original owner.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I also have owned quite a few cars during the years. I also had a 1967 Chevelle Malibu which originally had a tired 230 six with power glide transmission. I picked up a 283 V8 and powerglide from a low mileage 1967 Impala which had been totaled. Did a oil pan switch and engine mount change, what a nice car to drive. Wish I’d kept that one!
    Other favorites were my 1962 Lark Daytona convertible and our 1963 Daytona Wagonaire. Also from my younger days my 1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe business coupe.
    1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

A bit many to remember...
    But the ones I wouldn't mind still having isn't always the most valuable ones:

-67 Jaguar MK2 3,8.
    -66 Apache C30 Panel van.
    -64 2cv, "Betty".
    -63 Nova 250 Camaro 6 & Powerglide that made 0-60 m/h in 8 clean seconds with clocking friend.
    -58 Amazon, the last one of my 58's. (Volvo "122")
    -61 Valiant, the last one.
    -60 VW van.
    -62 New Port, easily the best car I ever came across...
    -50 Windsor, also a dependable good-hearted car even driven hard in the late 90's city trafic.

Other cars might have been good & more expensive but to me it's the feeling & how trustable a car is that matter.
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 02-15-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

The Studebaker I regret most having gotten rid of was a 2R6 pickup (although it did provide some of the funds that toward my Champ with an R1 engine), Non-Studebaker vehicles include a TR3 with a TR4A engine, a '72 Saab 96, a '71 Saab 95, an Elva Courier and a '67 VW Camper.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

'73 F-250 2x4 lowboy
    '58 Chevrolet Apache 3200
    '80 Pinto Pony MPG
    '84 Thunderbird with 5.0
    '90 Mark VII "Sinkin' Lincoln" with 5.0 HO and endless air suspension troubles
    '98 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton 2x4 with 5.9 (still have for serious hauling/towing duties, probably the best vehicle I've ever owned).
    '79 Porthole Pinto with XR4Ti engine swap (project car, still have)
    '95 Buick Riviera
    '80 Pinto (project in limbo, still have)
    '17 Subaru Impreza (current daily driver)
    Plus the stuff below....
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Speedster Member
    There's a lot of interesting posts and vehicles. Thanks for sharing. You can see the large diversity that exists here. A couple of vehicles that I always thought would someday be a sought after collector was a 66/1967 Oldsmobile Toronado and the 1963 Buick Riviera. Both of these vehicles were ahead of the time and now quite collectible. It's hard to predict the future but one things for sure and that is we have a lot of choices to choose from. Just imagine what it would be like to be Jay Leno with that collection.........WOW !!!

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuhawk View Post
    There's a lot of interesting posts and vehicles. Thanks for sharing. You can see the large diversity that exists here. A couple of vehicles that I always thought would someday be a sought after collector was a 66/1967 Oldsmobile Toronado and the 1963 Buick Riviera. Both of these vehicles were ahead of the time and now quite collectible. It's hard to predict the future but one things for sure and that is we have a lot of choices to choose from. Just imagine what it would be like to be Jay Leno with that collection.........WOW !!!
    Usually, the first of a type is worth the most. However, from the two that you mention, I prefer the 1966 Toronado over the 1967 due to the smoother front end and the 1965 Riviera over the 1963-1964 due to the clamshell headlights.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Stuhawk, I am personally responsible for the dramatic increase in value of Avantis, Sunbeam Tigers, Panteras, GTOs, 32 Ford Roadsters, English Ford Thames hot rods, and most collectible (now) bikes. Back in 2009 and 2010, we sold these and a few others to be able to move to Hawaii, and got MUCH less than any of them bring now, but you know what ? It was worth it ! We kept our 63 Mini and have bought the 55 Stude coupe since moving here, so still having fun ! I'm more of a look forward but fondly remember type than a hand-wringer for doing the "wrong" thing with vehicles. Shoot, back in 73 I sold our 69 Fairlane Cobra for 700 dollars, and found out it was one of only 19 Formal Roof versions with the particular CJ package and other options that I had special ordered ! Onward I go, having fun, keeping things circulating, and always learning, ha !

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I prefer the 1966 Toronado over the 1967 due to the smoother front end.
    I believe you mean 1967 being 'smoother' without those silly fake vents above the headlight doors, which is why I would also prefer a '67 over a '66.

Craig

Speedster Member
    Of a long list of cars I have owned since 1964 I miss only one; my 1958 Pontiac Chieftain Tri-power convertible. Paid $350 for it in 1965, drove it up and down the east coast to college on old US 301 or US 17. Stopped and checked in southern towns by "Jackie Gleason" cops.....
    Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
    ______

'51 Muntz Jet
    '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
    '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
    '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
    '56 Corvette SR replica

Speedster Member
    vetteson,

very nice ride. That was a "Chick" magnet for sure, lol.

I had a 1955 Chieftan V8 2dr hardtop 3 spd stick on the column and that was a fun car to drive.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    I believe you mean 1967 being 'smoother' without those silly fake vents above the headlight doors, which is why I would also prefer a '67 over a '66.

Craig
    Yes, you are correct. I had them reversed in my mind.

It has been years since I drove one or knew anyone that owned one, but I remember them as being nice driving and riding cars.
    Last edited by studegary; 02-15-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Are you sure? I remember the 1967 as being the smooth one.

It has been years since I drove one or knew anyone that owned one, but I remember them as being nice driving and riding cars.
    Yes, 1967 had the flush waterfall above the grille.

Another reason I would take a '67 over a '66 is disc brakes became standard. 1966 were severely under-braked without discs.

Craig

The 1st thing I remember about the Olds Toronados was one that came to Harriman drag-strip ( in TN ) that was brand new, and the smokey burnout he did for most of the track length ! Couldn't believe my eyes.

President Member
    1940 Chevy DeLuxe two door sedan
    1950 Ford flat head convertible
    1950 Buick Roadmaster sedan
    1954 Mercury hardtop
    1959 VW truck
    1963 Avanti R-1

1950 H-D hog all original
    1969 Honda 305 Dream

On the other hand, cars I wished I still had but easily could sell...
    -64 Chevelle SS that used to be a drag racer was quite fun to drive for about one month... & the -67 Cooper S + others like it, it's like riding a japcrap bike = dead boring if you don't race them all the time.
    So there's a few I could've sold these days if I still would have them & get some cash for...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j.byrd View Post
    The 1st thing I remember about the Olds Toronados was one that came to Harriman drag-strip ( in TN ) that was brand new, and the smokey burnout he did for most of the track length ! Couldn't believe my eyes.
    Keep in mind the relatively narrow tires that they came with. Also, I believe that they were 425 cid and 385 HP.

I knew a guy that owned Citreons to get up his mountain driveway. In 1966, he switched over to Toronados.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Speedster Member
    The 1966 had the bar grille and the 1967 had the egg-crate grille. The 1967 was the smooth one.
    10.5:1 compression ratio, 385hp @4800 rpm, top speed 135 mph. She was a real road car !
    1968-69 model had optional 400hp @ 4800rpm
    1970 model had optional 400hp @ 4000rpm

President Member
    Had a load of them! '46 Nash Amb., '48 Chev.cpe /w. 264 Buick motor, '57 Buick Special 2 dr, '60 Chev conv., '60 Olds 88 "flattop", '52 Buick Spec. 4dr.,'52 Buick Roadmaster 4dr., '53 Buick Roadmaster 4dr., '53 Olds Super 88 2dr ht., '65 Chev,SS conv/ 409 4spd.,'55 Willys Aero 2dr H.T. with 364 Buick motor and '48 Packard 3 spd 7 '56 Olds rearend, '64 T-bird, '65 T-bird, '66 T-bird w/'69 428 C.J. motor, '63 Riviera, '64 Riviera w/425 dual quad motor, '55 Chev 150 4dr w/dual quad 409, '95 Buick Riviera S/C, '99 Buick Riviera S/C, '03 Buick Regal G/T S/C, '04 Pontiac G/P S/C,'60 Stude Lark wagon,assorted Ford wagons, '92,93, 02 (2) Buick LeSabres, '55 Caddy Fleetwood, '75 Caddy Coupe d'ville, '52 Chev, 2dr w/322 Buick motor, Sag. 4spd/O.D.3x2 bbls &4.11 Pont.rear end, ''61 Stude Hawk, many more that I don't remember at this time. Also many I used up for demo derby. Still have one of the LeSabres (99k miles) and the Hawk. Wish I had many of the others back!

Studegary, You are right on about those narrow ( hard ? ) tires back then ! The "alleged" traction advantage was what prompted us to buy a new 1978 Ford Fiesta. It was a very good car, but we had to back up our driveway and the rain, icey, or snow days were pretty scary if we used the throttle much ( even after switching the 12 inch wheels to 13 inch ). Our Taurus, EXP, and Mazda Protoge' were not as bad, and on the other hand, our little 63 Mini is excellent. However, where we live now, most of the FWDs have to back out the drive because of the weight transfer to the rear if they try to pull out. I know there are advantages, but I do love a driveshaft car better. I always liked to watch the new at the time Chrysler Mini Vans that a few of the businesses bought in TN during "slick" times when they were loaded. Some of those blockheads put all the heavy cargo right on the rear of the floor, ha ! Uh, I won't tell about rescuing a Corvair and a couple of FWDs and a 4 wheel drive truck stuck in snow at different times in my Falcon and Mazda pick-up, ha ! I even backed into a soft area up on English Mountain ( a development in the early 70s) in TN once in my 69 Cobra Fairlane and pulled out a Jeep that was stuck. All in how we drive I suppose... Fun subject, fun memories !!!! All this may not apply to anyone else, but it's just some of our experiences.

I forgot the '86 F-150 4x4.
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

President Member
    Interesting cross section of car, but I see few pre-war cars listed, but I didn't expect to many either. I have a habit of keeping the cars that I like, so I have a question, do most people get rid of these cars?
    1) They are worn out.
    2) They get tired of them.
    3) They want something different.
    4) They need the space.
    5) Finances.
    6) Other
    For me this kind of bookends with the thread involving, my response to the thread of the available cars on Craigslist in the PNW.

I started in 1967 with a '59 Olds Dynamic 88 convertible; and regret not keeping every vehicle I've ever owned except a Subaru, a Toyota and two Hondas; not that they weren't good cars that served their purpose. They just possessed no character.

Hallabutt, I did have a few pre-war cars, and the 38 Packard was the favorite. Others were a 31, 5 window Ford coupe, a 33, 3 window Chevy coupe, a 1940 and a 1939 Ford turtle-back sedans, and a (fake) 32 Ford Roadster...in other words, fiberglass. A couple of our British cars ( an Anglia and a Standard) were designed before the war and still had late 30s era bodies and drive trains, but that doesn't count since one was a 47 and the other a 48 per the paperwork. The Packard was pure stock and rode and drove like a much more modern car. It was just a 6 cylinder, but still had 100 hp, independent front suspension, radio, heater, defroster, clock, etc ...well, it was just pure pleasure.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    Interesting cross section of car, but I see few pre-war cars listed, but I didn't expect to many either. I have a habit of keeping the cars that I like, so I have a question, do most people get rid of these cars?
    1) They are worn out.
    4) They need the space.
    5) Finances.
    6) Other
    For me this kind of bookends with the thread involving, my response to the thread of the available cars on Craigslist in the PNW.
    I only owned one prewar and that was a Studebaker - 1940 President.
    1) I don't ever remember wearing out a car.
    2) I guess that I got tired of a few, like my Chevette.
    3) This fits the bill best for me. I enjoy experiencing a lot of different cars.
    4) I did reach that point when I had cars in four counties and was just paying storage (ten cars). Now I try to limit myself to two "extra" cars.
    5 & 6) N/A
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

#1: only goes for the BaaderMeinhofWagen, such a lot o' money for so little car & big image.
    #2 & 3: for most of my cars.
    #4: only according to others...
    #5: I never let it get to that / I ignore it!
    #6: there was something I thought about that had to do with #2 & 3 but it slipped my mind.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    1) They are worn out.
    4) They need the space.
    5) Finances.
    6) Other

I think you pretty well summed it up.
    The grass always looks greener else where !