No announcement yet.

Cars From Our Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1966 had the bar grille and the 1967 had the egg-crate grille. The 1967 was the smooth one.
    10.5:1 compression ratio, 385hp @4800 rpm, top speed 135 mph. She was a real road car !
    1968-69 model had optional 400hp @ 4800rpm
    1970 model had optional 400hp @ 4000rpm

Comment

Had a load of them! '46 Nash Amb., '48 Chev.cpe /w. 264 Buick motor, '57 Buick Special 2 dr, '60 Chev conv., '60 Olds 88 "flattop", '52 Buick Spec. 4dr.,'52 Buick Roadmaster 4dr., '53 Buick Roadmaster 4dr., '53 Olds Super 88 2dr ht., '65 Chev,SS conv/ 409 4spd.,'55 Willys Aero 2dr H.T. with 364 Buick motor and '48 Packard 3 spd 7 '56 Olds rearend, '64 T-bird, '65 T-bird, '66 T-bird w/'69 428 C.J. motor, '63 Riviera, '64 Riviera w/425 dual quad motor, '55 Chev 150 4dr w/dual quad 409, '95 Buick Riviera S/C, '99 Buick Riviera S/C, '03 Buick Regal G/T S/C, '04 Pontiac G/P S/C,'60 Stude Lark wagon,assorted Ford wagons, '92,93, 02 (2) Buick LeSabres, '55 Caddy Fleetwood, '75 Caddy Coupe d'ville, '52 Chev, 2dr w/322 Buick motor, Sag. 4spd/O.D.3x2 bbls &4.11 Pont.rear end, ''61 Stude Hawk, many more that I don't remember at this time. Also many I used up for demo derby. Still have one of the LeSabres (99k miles) and the Hawk. Wish I had many of the others back!

Comment

Studegary, You are right on about those narrow ( hard ? ) tires back then ! The "alleged" traction advantage was what prompted us to buy a new 1978 Ford Fiesta. It was a very good car, but we had to back up our driveway and the rain, icey, or snow days were pretty scary if we used the throttle much ( even after switching the 12 inch wheels to 13 inch ). Our Taurus, EXP, and Mazda Protoge' were not as bad, and on the other hand, our little 63 Mini is excellent. However, where we live now, most of the FWDs have to back out the drive because of the weight transfer to the rear if they try to pull out. I know there are advantages, but I do love a driveshaft car better. I always liked to watch the new at the time Chrysler Mini Vans that a few of the businesses bought in TN during "slick" times when they were loaded. Some of those blockheads put all the heavy cargo right on the rear of the floor, ha ! Uh, I won't tell about rescuing a Corvair and a couple of FWDs and a 4 wheel drive truck stuck in snow at different times in my Falcon and Mazda pick-up, ha ! I even backed into a soft area up on English Mountain ( a development in the early 70s) in TN once in my 69 Cobra Fairlane and pulled out a Jeep that was stuck. All in how we drive I suppose... Fun subject, fun memories !!!! All this may not apply to anyone else, but it's just some of our experiences.

Comment

I forgot the '86 F-150 4x4.
          1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
          1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
          1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
          1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
          1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
          1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Interesting cross section of car, but I see few pre-war cars listed, but I didn't expect to many either. I have a habit of keeping the cars that I like, so I have a question, do most people get rid of these cars?
            1) They are worn out.
            2) They get tired of them.
            3) They want something different.
            4) They need the space.
            5) Finances.
            6) Other
            For me this kind of bookends with the thread involving, my response to the thread of the available cars on Craigslist in the PNW.

Comment

I started in 1967 with a '59 Olds Dynamic 88 convertible; and regret not keeping every vehicle I've ever owned except a Subaru, a Toyota and two Hondas; not that they weren't good cars that served their purpose. They just possessed no character.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hallabutt, I did have a few pre-war cars, and the 38 Packard was the favorite. Others were a 31, 5 window Ford coupe, a 33, 3 window Chevy coupe, a 1940 and a 1939 Ford turtle-back sedans, and a (fake) 32 Ford Roadster...in other words, fiberglass. A couple of our British cars ( an Anglia and a Standard) were designed before the war and still had late 30s era bodies and drive trains, but that doesn't count since one was a 47 and the other a 48 per the paperwork. The Packard was pure stock and rode and drove like a much more modern car. It was just a 6 cylinder, but still had 100 hp, independent front suspension, radio, heater, defroster, clock, etc ...well, it was just pure pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                  Interesting cross section of car, but I see few pre-war cars listed, but I didn't expect to many either. I have a habit of keeping the cars that I like, so I have a question, do most people get rid of these cars?
                  1) They are worn out.
                  4) They need the space.
                  5) Finances.
                  6) Other
                  For me this kind of bookends with the thread involving, my response to the thread of the available cars on Craigslist in the PNW.
                  I only owned one prewar and that was a Studebaker - 1940 President.
                  1) I don't ever remember wearing out a car.
                  2) I guess that I got tired of a few, like my Chevette.
                  3) This fits the bill best for me. I enjoy experiencing a lot of different cars.
                  4) I did reach that point when I had cars in four counties and was just paying storage (ten cars). Now I try to limit myself to two "extra" cars.
                  5 & 6) N/A
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

#1: only goes for the BaaderMeinhofWagen, such a lot o' money for so little car & big image.
                    #2 & 3: for most of my cars.
                    #4: only according to others...
                    #5: I never let it get to that / I ignore it!
                    #6: there was something I thought about that had to do with #2 & 3 but it slipped my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                      1) They are worn out.
                      4) They need the space.
                      5) Finances.
                      6) Other

I think you pretty well summed it up.
                      The grass always looks greener else where !

Comment

I miss my 69 Z28 the most next to that I miss my 69 camaro SS396 375 hp . Paid $3500 for the Z in 1982 And paid $1600 for the SS in 1985, I couldn't even think of affording either now Good news is I still own my 57 chevy 150 I got from my uncle in 1977

Comment

My 2 cars that I miss terribly are my 1954 Sunbeam Alpine (the first series, not the later one with the fins) & my 1969 Pontiac Tempest Custom S convertible w/ 350 H.O. engine, GTO hood w/ ram air, 3 speed H.D. manual trans, am/fm stereo radio, P/steering, power disc brakes, burgundy w/ white double pin stripes down the side, black top & black interior. I sold it to a friend of mine who sold it to her uncle. Still trying to find him, last whereabouts was in Texas.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                            My 2 cars that I miss terribly are my 1954 Sunbeam Alpine (the first series, not the later one with the fins) & my 1969 Pontiac Tempest Custom S convertible w/ 350 H.O. engine, GTO hood w/ ram air, 3 speed H.D. manual trans, am/fm stereo radio, P/steering, power disc brakes, burgundy w/ white double pin stripes down the side, black top & black interior. I sold it to a friend of mine who sold it to her uncle. Still trying to find him, last whereabouts was in Texas.
                            Warren,
                            good luck with your search and maybe you can get some of your Studebaker brothers who reside in Texas to help. It's worth a try.

Comment

The Olds Toronado was the first US car to come with radial tires as standard equipment.

If I listed every car and truck I've owned since 1956, it would take me at least an hour.

Of these, the two cars I miss are a 1950 Olds Deluxe 88 Club Coupe and a 1962 GT Hawk that I sold to one of Chuck Naugle's relatives.

Years later, I called Chuck and asked him where the car was. He said the owner had moved to the Philippines, taking the car with him.
                              Last edited by WinM1895; 02-17-2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                                The Olds Toronado was the first US car to come with radial tires as standard equipment.

If I listed every car and truck I've owned since 1956, it would take me at least an hour.

Of these, the two cars I miss are a 1950 Olds Deluxe 88 Club Coupe and a 1962 GT Hawk that I sold to one of Chuck Naugle's relatives.

Years later, I called Chuck and asked him where the car was. He said the owner had moved to the Philippines, taking the car with him.
                                A 1950 Oldsmobile 88 Club Coupe has always been a favorite. I once drove 1000 miles to Boston Ma with a car trailer to buy one only to back out as the owner had not been totally honest about the car. There was one that sold a few years ago from a guy out in Arizona and it was a Jewel. He sold it for 39K which was a lot but the car was in perfect restored condition with modern upgrades. It was listed for sale on CarsOnLine.com I really gave it a lot of thought. I always browse the OLds cars 49,50,54 coupes just to see whats available.

Comment

Working...
                                X