Cars From Our Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars From Our Past

If you guys are like me i'm sure you have all owned have cars from your past that you wish you still owned. I was thinking back last night of all the cars that I once owned but was foolish enough to sell and all these years later wish that i still owned.....It seems even more sad when you list them in writing. When I look at them now I realize how lucky I was to come up in this generation.

1936 Chevy Coupe, 6 cyl, 3spd stick, with a Rumble Seat
    1939 Buick Coupe, Straight 8, 320C.I. , Twin Carb, Split Manifold, 3 Spd Stick on Column
    1954 Buick Convertible V8, Auto
    1954 Oldsmobile 88 Holiday 2dr Hardtop V8 Automatic
    1955 Pontiac Chieftan 2dr Hardtop V8 3spd Stick On Column
    1957 Chevrolet Belair 2dr Hardtop 283 V8 Automatic
    1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk V8 Automatic
    1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2dr Sedan 348 V8 3spd Stick On Column
    1960 Studebaker Lark 2dr Coupe V8 3spd Stick On floor
    1963 Chevrolet SS 2dr Hardtop V8 327CI 300hp 4spd Floor Shift
    1967 Chevrolet Chevelle 2dr Hardtop V8 396 350hp 4spd Floor Shift
    1978 Chevrolet Corvette Silver Anniversary L82 350 V8 Automatic
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette V8 350 Last Of The High Fender Vettes
    1934 Chevrolet 3 Window Coupe 502 CI BBC 700R4
    1932 Ford 5 Window Deuce Coupe 409 CI V8 Turbo 400 W/W30 Oldsmobile Specs 9" Ford Posi
    1961 Studebaker Hawk 289 V8 4spd Floor Shift Bucket Seats 3.31 TT

Im hoping to keep the last car on this list as I have always liked the Studebaker Hawks and i'm a lot older and time is growing shorter. I would like to hear about your past rides if you care to share. I'm hoping the 1961 Hawk will cure my fever for a "Fun To Drive" car with those beautiful Fender and Hood contours.........

The only two cars in a long list that I kick myself in the butt for selling is my 59' Triumph TR3 and my 39' Lasalle in that order. The rest were fun. They included a 37', 57' and 58' Auto Union DKW, 55' VW, 78' Triumph Spitfire, 62' Thunderbird, A red V8 62' Buick Special convertible, 64' Corvair Monza Spyder convertible, 62' Pontiac Tempest coupe, a red 65' V8 Mustang convertible and a 57' Plymouth Fury two door mosquito fogger. There were others but they were plain boring.

Comment

Well, I won't run a lengthy list but in 2000 I opted to buy a Sunbeam Tiger under the guise that if fullfilled a number of aspects. Those being a sports car, a hot rod, a smaller car, a hardtop AND a convertible etc. They ploy to my wife was that I would sell MOST of my fleet. Today, 18 years later the Tiger (a near basket case) still sits on jackstands and I have purchased additional cars (one being my Studebaker). So, when you say, "Im hoping to keep the last car on this list as I have always liked the Studebaker Hawks and i'm a lot older and time is growing shorter," I wish you the best but but my expereience has been that it doesn't happen - most likely you will acquitre more.

As for cars I'd really want back, my Datsun 240Z and my Volvo PV544. And really I wouldn't want those back, but better versions of them.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I had 10 cars that I left at my Fathers house when Old Shovel Nose called in Nov. of 69. On Feb 9, 1971 the Sylmar quake struck, just 150 feet behind his house. The hill behind his house had numerous cracks in it and the first rain part of the hill was in his pool and basement. All of my trophies from San Fernando Raceway were thrown in the trash and all but 3 of my cars were sold. A 57 T-Bird with both tops, a 62 T-Bird 2 seater, a 53K with 155479 heads, a 58 MGA roadster with a 289 Ford engine and another MGA roadster that I was in the middle of putting a 289 in when I left that I would love to have back. But no place to put them all now.
        Last edited by Alan; 02-15-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I’ll just mention one, a 69 Camaro....350 4 speed . I was just short of my 20th birthday in 68 and since I wasn’t drafted yet I figured Uncle Sam missed me so I ordered my first new car. $2714. Two weeks after I got the car I got my draft notice.

Comment

The only one I'm sorry I sold was a 67 Corvette convertible with a 427 and 4-speed. Some I've still got after 25-50 years of ownership: 62 Impala convertible, 70 Camaro SS350, 54 Stude 3R6 pickup, 64 Stude Daytona hardtop, 78 El Camino 350/4-spd, 74 Avanti II 400/4-spd, 89 Z-28 w/5-spd.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              The only one I'm sorry I sold was a 67 Corvette convertible with a 427 and 4-speed. Some I've still got after 25-50 years of ownership: 62 Impala convertible, 70 Camaro SS350, 54 Stude 3R6 pickup, 64 Stude Daytona hardtop, 78 El Camino 350/4-spd, 74 Avanti II 400/4-spd, 89 Z-28 w/5-spd.
              Back in 1979 I was Corvette shopping. There was a dealer with a nice selection of used ones close by my town. I went to buy one, trading in my 1st Corvette a 1965 convertible, 327 4 speed in rough shape, barely safe enough to drive the 50 miles to his lot, and in need of major body & paint.
              The car I wanted was a 1967 silver Corvette convertible 427 4 speed, 2 tops, leather seats, one previous owner. It was priced around $18,000 at the time. Right beside it was a 1974 Corvette 454 convertible for $10,900. I bought the 74 because of the price and it was a cool car, last year of the 454, and hard to find in a full convertible.
              Last summer a friend in Europe had me go look at a 67 Corvette for him to do an appraisal and negotiate a deal if it was a good car.
              It was the same car I passed on in 1979, and now was approx $90,000. A smoking deal for this fully documented car. As for the 74 I smashed it up, it was repaired, smashed again and as far as I know is rebuilt and back on the road. Current value of a similar 74 is about $25 to 30,000.Click image for larger version

Name:	67vet65chev 014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1719533This picture I took last summer.

Comment

I'm too new to really participate in this discussion but I do hope I never come to a point in my life that forced my to part from my GT Hawk. She's a fine lassie and I would stumble, dazed and confused, for a long while while I contemplate my fate.
                Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

'56 Golden Hawk (automatic) and '58 Packard Hawk (3 speed/overdrive). I have another '56 Golden Hawk now that is a factory 3 speed/overdrive car so that probably cancels letting the first one go, but I frequently kick myself in the rear for letting the Packard Hawk get away (yes it was factory equipped with the 3 speed/overdrive)!
                  Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                  '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                  '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                  '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I have had a lot of cars for a guy from my background and area, but the one that I had the most fun with and actually made most people upset with when they raced me was an old 61 Falcon Ranchero with a 306 horsepower Shelby 289 that we modified even more. The Ranchero was fairly rusty, REAL ugly, had tin snip cut-out rear fenders, and just did everything I wanted to do back in that period ('66 thru'75). It was loads of fun, quite surprisingly fast, looked stock until I put a beam axle under the front and cut the wheel wells out and mounted a 9 inch with big wheels and slicks. People would laugh and ask me how I was going to get it rolling with those big slicks, ha ! It would even pull small wheelies !!! Silly boy, silly truck, LOADS of fun !

Comment

I used to wheel & deal in cheap used cars & went thru over 200.....lots of them were fun to have (for a few days to a few months). Hard to pick which one would rise to the top as far as wanting to have it back, but that 71 chevelle w/ 454 4spd & cowl induction is the one I regret the most.....I sold it during a dark time in my life & didn't realize the "muscle car" fad was in full swing....I sold it for a fraction of what it was worth.

Comment

'62 Chevy Bel Air station wagon
                        '64 Pontiac Bonneville (best car ever)
                        '59 Nash Metropolitan (didn't run)
                        '63 Studebaker Avanti
                        '67 Ford Mustang
                        '70 Lincoln Continental
                        '82 Datsun Maxima
                        '89 Dodge Dakota
                        '83 Dodge Aries
                        '90 Geo Prizm
                        '93 Plymouth Grand Voyager
                        '98 Mercury Moutaineer
                        '02 Lincoln LS
                        '15 Ford Fusion
                        '16 Ford Explorer
                        '66 Dodge Charger
                        '67 Dodge Charger
                        '69 Corvette conv. 427/435hp 3-deuces
                        '78 Corvette Silver Anniversary L82
                        '70 Avanti
                        ''02 Avanti conv
                        '05 Kia Spectra
                        '03 Honda Pilot
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have personally owned over 100 cars including more than 50 Studebakers. I am of the catch and release style. I like to own and experience a lot of different cars. I have only owned seven new cars, but many others were two to three years old (let someone else take a big depreciation hit). The most that I have had at one time is ten. Off the top of my head, if I had to pick three that I would like to have back, they would be; 1953 Commander Starliner that I knew since new and rebuilt, 1966 Dodge Charger that I bought new and 1972 Plymouth GTX that I bought from the original owner.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I also have owned quite a few cars during the years. I also had a 1967 Chevelle Malibu which originally had a tired 230 six with power glide transmission. I picked up a 283 V8 and powerglide from a low mileage 1967 Impala which had been totaled. Did a oil pan switch and engine mount change, what a nice car to drive. Wish I’d kept that one!
                            Other favorites were my 1962 Lark Daytona convertible and our 1963 Daytona Wagonaire. Also from my younger days my 1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe business coupe.
                            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

A bit many to remember...
                              But the ones I wouldn't mind still having isn't always the most valuable ones:

-67 Jaguar MK2 3,8.
                              -66 Apache C30 Panel van.
                              -64 2cv, "Betty".
                              -63 Nova 250 Camaro 6 & Powerglide that made 0-60 m/h in 8 clean seconds with clocking friend.
                              -58 Amazon, the last one of my 58's. (Volvo "122")
                              -61 Valiant, the last one.
                              -60 VW van.
                              -62 New Port, easily the best car I ever came across...
                              -50 Windsor, also a dependable good-hearted car even driven hard in the late 90's city trafic.

Other cars might have been good & more expensive but to me it's the feeling & how trustable a car is that matter.
                              Last edited by Noxnabaker; 02-15-2018, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X