Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cars From Our Past

Speedster Member
    I miss my 69 Z28 the most next to that I miss my 69 camaro SS396 375 hp . Paid $3500 for the Z in 1982 And paid $1600 for the SS in 1985, I couldn't even think of affording either now Good news is I still own my 57 chevy 150 I got from my uncle in 1977

President Member
    My 2 cars that I miss terribly are my 1954 Sunbeam Alpine (the first series, not the later one with the fins) & my 1969 Pontiac Tempest Custom S convertible w/ 350 H.O. engine, GTO hood w/ ram air, 3 speed H.D. manual trans, am/fm stereo radio, P/steering, power disc brakes, burgundy w/ white double pin stripes down the side, black top & black interior. I sold it to a friend of mine who sold it to her uncle. Still trying to find him, last whereabouts was in Texas.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Webb View Post
    My 2 cars that I miss terribly are my 1954 Sunbeam Alpine (the first series, not the later one with the fins) & my 1969 Pontiac Tempest Custom S convertible w/ 350 H.O. engine, GTO hood w/ ram air, 3 speed H.D. manual trans, am/fm stereo radio, P/steering, power disc brakes, burgundy w/ white double pin stripes down the side, black top & black interior. I sold it to a friend of mine who sold it to her uncle. Still trying to find him, last whereabouts was in Texas.
    Warren,
    good luck with your search and maybe you can get some of your Studebaker brothers who reside in Texas to help. It's worth a try.

The Olds Toronado was the first US car to come with radial tires as standard equipment.

If I listed every car and truck I've owned since 1956, it would take me at least an hour.

Of these, the two cars I miss are a 1950 Olds Deluxe 88 Club Coupe and a 1962 GT Hawk that I sold to one of Chuck Naugle's relatives.

Years later, I called Chuck and asked him where the car was. He said the owner had moved to the Philippines, taking the car with him.
    Last edited by WinM1895; 02-17-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinM1895 View Post
    The Olds Toronado was the first US car to come with radial tires as standard equipment.

If I listed every car and truck I've owned since 1956, it would take me at least an hour.

Of these, the two cars I miss are a 1950 Olds Deluxe 88 Club Coupe and a 1962 GT Hawk that I sold to one of Chuck Naugle's relatives.

Years later, I called Chuck and asked him where the car was. He said the owner had moved to the Philippines, taking the car with him.
    A 1950 Oldsmobile 88 Club Coupe has always been a favorite. I once drove 1000 miles to Boston Ma with a car trailer to buy one only to back out as the owner had not been totally honest about the car. There was one that sold a few years ago from a guy out in Arizona and it was a Jewel. He sold it for 39K which was a lot but the car was in perfect restored condition with modern upgrades. It was listed for sale on CarsOnLine.com I really gave it a lot of thought. I always browse the OLds cars 49,50,54 coupes just to see whats available.

The Olds Toronado was the first US car to come with radial tires as standard.
    I believe the 1968-1/2 Continental Mark III was. GM didn't offer radial tires until the early '70's.

Craig

Dave Lester

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    I believe the 1968-1/2 Continental Mark III was. GM didn't offer radial tires until the early '70's.

Craig
    Mark III's were available with radials, but didn't come with them as standard equipment, but the Toronado did.

During road tests on pre production cars, Olds' engineers discovered that the bias plies wore out within 7,000 miles.

So Michelin radials were installed and were also installed on the '67 El Dorado.

btw: The Mark III was introduced in March 1968, but FoMoCo called 'em 1969's from day one.

Mark III's were available with radials, but didn't come with them as standard equipment, but the Toronado did.
    The first Oldsmobile that had radials as standard equipment was the 1973 Cutlass Salon (along with GM's 'A'-body stablemate, Pontiac Grand Am.) Radials weren't 'standard' on the rest of the full and mid-size Oldsmobile line until 1975, including Toronado.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 02-17-2018 at 07:46 PM.

The first Oldsmobile that had radials as standard equipment was the 1973 Cutlass Salon (along with GM's 'A'-body stablemate, Pontiac Grand Am.) Radials were 'standard' on the rest of the full and mid-size Oldsmobile line until 1975, including Toronado.

Craig
    When the Toronado was introduced, I was quite taken by it. Here was the first US car to have FWD since the 1937 Cord.

I read every bit of literature I could find. Motor Trend (that I had subscribed to since 1950), had a road test and a two page color pic that I taped to my bedroom wall.

M/T is where I read about the radial tire jazz. I believed it then and I believe it now based on the fact that the bias ply tires wore out quickly.

I'm somewhat familiar with FWD cars, as my dad was the West Coast distributor for Citroen Cars Inc.

In the early 1970's I cancelled my M/T subscription. Why?

Someone had written a letter to the editor about Studebakers and M/T's smart azzed response was: "Why don't you collect something useful, like string." !!
    Last edited by WinM1895; 02-17-2018 at 07:32 PM.

More on the 'first US car with radials' here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...used-n-the-USA And Ford was the first to acknowledge their improved road handling and comfort over bias ply tires.

Craig

More on the 'first US car with radials' here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...used-n-the-USA And Ford was the first to acknowledge their improved road handling and comfort over bias ply tires.

Craig
    I don't recall anything inre to FoMoCo's radial tire installations. 'Course I was a Ford parts guy for 30 years, didn't work in the fleet dept.

Late 1980's, Kevin Marti a Mustang/Shelby 'nut' in Phoenix AZ acquired all the 1967/79 FoMoCo records when he discovered that they were going to be THROWN AWAY.

People that own these vehicles can get a copy of the original build sheet. Marti also has charts that show what percentage of individual year vehicles came with certain features including radials. Example: What percentage of jade green 1979 F350 Super Cabs came with 4WD

I'm going to ask him how many Mark III's came with radials as standard equipment. I'll be surprised if any did.

It's like white wall tires on 1953/66 F100's. Some people assume that these were factory installed, but the trucks would have to be special ordered and how many buyers would wait a month or more just for white walls?
    Last edited by WinM1895; 02-17-2018 at 08:10 PM.

I'm going to ask him how many Mark III's came with radials as standard equipment. I'll be surprised if any did.
    Here is a Marti Report for a 1970 Mark III. The cost adder is for WHITE WALL at $48.50 over and above standard blackwalls. The reason I would conclude blackwalls were standard is radial would have cost more than $9.70 per tire over and above bias ply tires at the time.

(Edit: May as well add a photo of the car it belongs to!!)

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 02-17-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Speedster Member
    66 Pontiac LeMans 2dr hard top 326 285 HP PS pb a/c bucket seats PW . when I was 16 at 19 I got a brand new 72 Barracuda keep tell 2 kids forced the sale in 68

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug M View Post
    66 Pontiac LeMans 2dr hard top 326 285 HP PS pb a/c bucket seats PW . when I was 16 at 19 I got a brand new 72 Barracuda keep tell 2 kids forced the sale in 68
    Perhaps you mean 78 (or some other year), instead of 68. Your sentence doesn't make sense to me the way that it is.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    It was 78 senior moment again!

Here is a Marti Report for a 1970 Mark III. The cost adder is for WHITE WALL at $48.50 over and above standard blackwalls. The reason I would conclude blackwalls were standard is radial would have cost more than $9.70 per tire over and above bias ply tires at the time.

(Edit: May as well add a photo of the car it belongs to!!)

Craig
    It seems you have more than just a large Studebaker truck!

What I see is that the radials were an option over the bias plies that were probably standard equipment. I cannot imagine a Mark III coming with black walls as standard equipment.

The Mark II parked next to it. Only one Mark II came with black walls because it was ordered that way. The buyer was J.E. Coberly, a longtime L/M dealer in Los Angeles.

When the car arrived, off came the black walls and on went Vogue Tyres. These were a white wall with gold stripes.

It seems you have more than just a large Studebaker truck!
    Good one!!

No, neither Continental belongs to me. Both belong to two identical twins who attend local show & shines here on a regular basis.

But, yes, one could have ordered Michelins for a big truck:

Craig

Good one!!

No, neither Continental belongs to me. Both belong to two identical twins who attend local show & shines here on a regular basis.

But, yes, one could have ordered Michelins for a big truck:

Craig
    I see that the trans is a 5 speed direct New Process, is the two speed rear axle an Eaton?

I decode Ford Warranty Plates on 3 Ford truck sites, mostly on FTE. Another FTE member (Stu, user name truckdog) also belongs to Studie truck farmers, is an expert on wheels.

I see that the trans is a 5 speed direct New Process, is the two speed rear axle an Eaton?

I decode Ford Warranty Plates on 3 Ford truck sites, mostly on FTE. Another FTE member (Stu, user name truckdog) also belongs to Studie truck farmers, is an expert on wheels.
    Mine is a Rockwell, and I suspect this one is as well. I'll have to ask Zane, the owner of it. (My truck is also a 5-spd direct.)

Here is the tag on my rear axle:

A similar rear axle as seen on a Ford truck:

The truck it is on:

Craig