No announcement yet.

Cars From Our Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Studebaker I regret most having gotten rid of was a 2R6 pickup (although it did provide some of the funds that toward my Champ with an R1 engine), Non-Studebaker vehicles include a TR3 with a TR4A engine, a '72 Saab 96, a '71 Saab 95, an Elva Courier and a '67 VW Camper.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I mentioned mine here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...sh-we-had-back

Craig

Comment

'73 F-250 2x4 lowboy
        '58 Chevrolet Apache 3200
        '80 Pinto Pony MPG
        '84 Thunderbird with 5.0
        '90 Mark VII "Sinkin' Lincoln" with 5.0 HO and endless air suspension troubles
        '98 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton 2x4 with 5.9 (still have for serious hauling/towing duties, probably the best vehicle I've ever owned).
        '79 Porthole Pinto with XR4Ti engine swap (project car, still have)
        '95 Buick Riviera
        '80 Pinto (project in limbo, still have)
        '17 Subaru Impreza (current daily driver)
        Plus the stuff below....
        1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
        1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
        1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
        1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
        1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
        1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

There's a lot of interesting posts and vehicles. Thanks for sharing. You can see the large diversity that exists here. A couple of vehicles that I always thought would someday be a sought after collector was a 66/1967 Oldsmobile Toronado and the 1963 Buick Riviera. Both of these vehicles were ahead of the time and now quite collectible. It's hard to predict the future but one things for sure and that is we have a lot of choices to choose from. Just imagine what it would be like to be Jay Leno with that collection.........WOW !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stuhawk View Post
            There's a lot of interesting posts and vehicles. Thanks for sharing. You can see the large diversity that exists here. A couple of vehicles that I always thought would someday be a sought after collector was a 66/1967 Oldsmobile Toronado and the 1963 Buick Riviera. Both of these vehicles were ahead of the time and now quite collectible. It's hard to predict the future but one things for sure and that is we have a lot of choices to choose from. Just imagine what it would be like to be Jay Leno with that collection.........WOW !!!
            Usually, the first of a type is worth the most. However, from the two that you mention, I prefer the 1966 Toronado over the 1967 due to the smoother front end and the 1965 Riviera over the 1963-1964 due to the clamshell headlights.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Stuhawk, I am personally responsible for the dramatic increase in value of Avantis, Sunbeam Tigers, Panteras, GTOs, 32 Ford Roadsters, English Ford Thames hot rods, and most collectible (now) bikes. Back in 2009 and 2010, we sold these and a few others to be able to move to Hawaii, and got MUCH less than any of them bring now, but you know what ? It was worth it ! We kept our 63 Mini and have bought the 55 Stude coupe since moving here, so still having fun ! I'm more of a look forward but fondly remember type than a hand-wringer for doing the "wrong" thing with vehicles. Shoot, back in 73 I sold our 69 Fairlane Cobra for 700 dollars, and found out it was one of only 19 Formal Roof versions with the particular CJ package and other options that I had special ordered ! Onward I go, having fun, keeping things circulating, and always learning, ha !

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I prefer the 1966 Toronado over the 1967 due to the smoother front end.
                I believe you mean 1967 being 'smoother' without those silly fake vents above the headlight doors, which is why I would also prefer a '67 over a '66.

Craig

Comment

Of a long list of cars I have owned since 1964 I miss only one; my 1958 Pontiac Chieftain Tri-power convertible. Paid $350 for it in 1965, drove it up and down the east coast to college on old US 301 or US 17. Stopped and checked in southern towns by "Jackie Gleason" cops.....
                  Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
                  ______

'51 Muntz Jet
                  '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
                  '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
                  '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
                  '56 Corvette SR replica

Comment

vetteson,

very nice ride. That was a "Chick" magnet for sure, lol.

I had a 1955 Chieftan V8 2dr hardtop 3 spd stick on the column and that was a fun car to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      I believe you mean 1967 being 'smoother' without those silly fake vents above the headlight doors, which is why I would also prefer a '67 over a '66.

Craig
                      Yes, you are correct. I had them reversed in my mind.

It has been years since I drove one or knew anyone that owned one, but I remember them as being nice driving and riding cars.
                      Last edited by studegary; 02-15-2018, 11:34 AM.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        Are you sure? I remember the 1967 as being the smooth one.

It has been years since I drove one or knew anyone that owned one, but I remember them as being nice driving and riding cars.
                        Yes, 1967 had the flush waterfall above the grille.

Another reason I would take a '67 over a '66 is disc brakes became standard. 1966 were severely under-braked without discs.

Craig

Comment

The 1st thing I remember about the Olds Toronados was one that came to Harriman drag-strip ( in TN ) that was brand new, and the smokey burnout he did for most of the track length ! Couldn't believe my eyes.

Comment

1940 Chevy DeLuxe two door sedan
                            1950 Ford flat head convertible
                            1950 Buick Roadmaster sedan
                            1954 Mercury hardtop
                            1959 VW truck
                            1963 Avanti R-1

1950 H-D hog all original
                            1969 Honda 305 Dream

Comment

On the other hand, cars I wished I still had but easily could sell...
                              -64 Chevelle SS that used to be a drag racer was quite fun to drive for about one month... & the -67 Cooper S + others like it, it's like riding a japcrap bike = dead boring if you don't race them all the time.
                              So there's a few I could've sold these days if I still would have them & get some cash for...

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                                The 1st thing I remember about the Olds Toronados was one that came to Harriman drag-strip ( in TN ) that was brand new, and the smokey burnout he did for most of the track length ! Couldn't believe my eyes.
                                Keep in mind the relatively narrow tires that they came with. Also, I believe that they were 425 cid and 385 HP.

I knew a guy that owned Citreons to get up his mountain driveway. In 1966, he switched over to Toronados.
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                                X