Oldtimer's question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldtimer's question

Bought a new '57 Golden Hawk in Bellflower, CA. Drove it for 4 years before selling it in '61. Recently started looking at pictures of Golden Hawks on the internet. Question: My car had the exterior rear view mirrors located on the fenders, not the doors. I have seen pictures of many '57-'58 Golden Hawks, all of them with the mirrors on their door. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks, Ike

I think most mirrors were installed at the dealers , if you look st old pictures of cars on car haulers they usually don’t have mirrors on them .
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I was at a dealer one day when a women came in with two mirrors in hand and wanted them mounted, the shop guy said where do you want them. She sat in the car and he moved the mirrors up and down the fender to a spot where she was comfortable and could see, she then winchedup when he drilled two holes in her new fender to mount them. They could be about any where, if you are tall, short or otherwise sized they would be where they are most comfortable at that time. They may not work for the next guy.

Comment

Thanks for replies. Don't know if pic will come thru. Nice car. Undefeated. Earner of 17 speeding tickets. Would gladly own it again with 84-year-old brain. Have pic, technically challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post
          Thanks for replies. Don't know if pic will come thru. Nice car. Undefeated. Earner of 17 speeding tickets. Would gladly own it again with 84-year-old brain. Have pic, technically challenged.
          Thanks for posting. Out of curiosity, was yours automatic or overdrive, as mine was.

EDIT: Were you in WA at that time? If not, where were you?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Mine was automatic. Was not in WA. Lived in Lakewood, worked and drove to downtown L.A. at The Times.

Comment

The problem I have found with mirrors and Studebakers is that there never seems to be a good place to put a mirror on the right hand side so it can actually be useful.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                I was at a dealer one day when a women came in with two mirrors in hand and wanted them mounted, the shop guy said where do you want them. She sat in the car and he moved the mirrors up and down the fender to a spot where she was comfortable and could see, she then winchedup when he drilled two holes in her new fender to mount them. They could be about any where, if you are tall, short or otherwise sized they would be where they are most comfortable at that time. They may not work for the next guy.
                I remember the corner garage doing the same thing for my aunt when she got a new car.

Craig

Comment

I have an observation and would like comments by some well informed, please. I have a 1960 wagon with fender mounted mirrors. It's only has deluxe trim, but it has an interesting option package with reclining, split bench seat, clock and radio, to go along with the duel fender mounted mirrors, and rear mounted radio aerial. This is an original car, and the aerial has never been re-positioned. My observation has indicated that a car ordered, to tow a trailer, would include this mirror, rear mounted radio aerial arrangement. The car's build sheet does not include any indication of the arrangement. My question is regarding whether an owner ordered car, would have usually been equipped at the factory, or was it completed once it reached the dealer?

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                    The car's build sheet does not include any indication of the arrangement. My question is regarding whether an owner ordered car, would have usually been equipped at the factory, or was it completed once it reached the dealer?
                    Very often, wheel covers, exterior mirrors, etc., had an (X) suffix after the accessory number on the P.O. indicating it would be shipped loose in the trunk/cargo compartment for the dealer to install.

Craig

Comment

The factory encouraged the dealers to "make" a few bucks by buying bulk accessory items, on the discount, then promoting them at the dealership at retail. Someone here posted "dealer" promotions from the factory at one time....Antennae never were mounted at the factory (as far as I know) due to possible damage along the rail or road. There of course, was no factory trailer hitches, so aftermarket/dealer add-ons were the norm, or go down to Sears auto and have them mount one. I'll bet Sears could beat the dealer on a lot of things like: mirrors, hitches, antenna, oil changes, ..... you name it... Sears did it.

Comment

How bad can the dealer mounted items get? This is a shot of my Dad's '62 that was sold new in San Antonio, Texas. He bought it in '75 and is an original paint car. Both mirrors are mounted above the wheel openings (European style?) and the dealer must have gotten a special deal on some side fender mounted antennas...never like where both were mounted...

Comment

the mirrors came from the dealer's stock and the antenna came from Sears or Western Auto or the like....Note the "spring" antenna base. Pretty good for the occasional narrow road or punky teen.... his/her later activity became "keying"....

Comment

Working...
                          X