Ginseng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginseng

Is there any Ginseng hunters here ? How was your 2017 season, good, fair or bad.
    My wife and I are retired and are thinking of taking up the hobby kinda like hunting mushrooms. It would be a good reason to get more exercise and spend some quality time together. We were thinking about going this year (2018) and see if maybe we can find some. We live in south central Illinois in farm country so i'm thinking there might be some. Would appreciate any help or tips for newbies.

I can't help with the ginseng but to divert the post slightly, you may also want to look for morel mushrooms. The season is in the spring when it's nice to get out in the woods and they are the tastiest mushrooms IMHO.

Bob

Comment

Bob,
      back in the early 70s we had a lot of morel mushrooms. This was about the same time that the red elms were starting to die off and the bark was just starting to slip. The hunting was good. Fast forward to now and all the red elms are long gone and the mushroom hunting in our area is hit and miss and mostly poor. I guess the spores have died out and it makes little difference where you look, North, South , East or West.
      We are also experiencing an invasion of Russian Olive and it is literally taking over and overtaking all other species of plant. It is bad and QUITE a Nuisance .

Comment

Originally posted by Stuhawk View Post
        We are also experiencing an invasion of Russian Olive and it is literally taking over and overtaking all other species of plant. It is bad and QUITE a Nuisance .
        If those damned Russians aren't a nuisance in one area, it's another!

Ken

Comment

Ha, Ha
          that's funny and also politically correct

Comment

I thought Morels only grew under dead apple trees. That's practically the only place I've ever found them here in Northern Va......
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
              I thought Morels only grew under dead apple trees. That's practically the only place I've ever found them here in Northern Va......
              Here in Michigan they like the area that had dead Elm trees but they are long gone. I think the type of dead tree they like indicates a type of environment more than the tree itself. My best friend has acreage in North Western Michigan and he has a good crop of them. They seem to like a moist environment on hillsides with a reasonable amount of shade but are picky little devils at best.

When you find them initially, they will continue to reappear in that general area but not on a yearly basis. Which again indicates they are picky about their growing conditions.

Dang good eating however. My favorite from the general market place is Portabellas (sp?). If they are on the menu in some form they generally get ordered.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X