Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avanti

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sailingadventure View Post
    The car is titled as a `64 but has round headlights. The Serial # is R4399, an R2 4speed. I have completely rebuilt or replaced every part on the car as well as adding A/C and real knock off wheels. Here are a couple of pictures of the car.

Attachment 70430

Attachment 70431

Attachment 70432
    Sailingadventure,
    that 1964 R2 4spd Avanti is absolutely gorgeous !!! Under the hood looks just as good as the rest of the car. You could eat off of the engine ! I to also like the knock off wheels. It looks like a brand new car that rolled off the assembly line in 1963-64 only better because all the engineering shortcomings have been corrected. By the way I have looked at your video clip several times and each time I feel the fever getting higher, lol. Thanks for sharing those pics. A car like that in that condition would be "Mucho Dinero" $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ "She's A Dandy"

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    I've always felt that Avantis are best viewed from the front seats. Here's a couple of '63's I've spent some time with.

mbstude,
    you and sailingadventure must be the 2 luckiest guys around to have and to hold those pretty Avanti's. That's a Kodak moment for sure looking out over the steering wheel and gauges as you travel down the road. That cockpit shot is awesome ! Those 1963 Avanti's really do take some nice pics, very photogenic Thanks for sharing those > It just tends to make the rest of us envious

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sailingadventure View Post
    The car is titled as a `64 but has round headlights. The Serial # is R4399, an R2 4speed. I have completely rebuilt or replaced every part on the car as well as adding A/C and real knock off wheels. Here are a couple of pictures of the car.

Attachment 70430

Attachment 70431

Attachment 70432
    Your nice Avanti would now be considered a 1963 model. It was probably sold new after the introduction of 1964 models in which case Studebaker stated that they were to be titled as 1964 models (Service Letter G-1964-3). Your Avanti was built in May of 1963, well within the 1963 model year.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    Stuhawk,
    Don't be jaded by one person's (64V19816) opinion of a rather unique automobile. Two years ago we jumped into our 1983 Avanti (it had been sitting for a year so just an oil change and cursory checkover prior to departure) in British Columbia and drove mostly on back roads to the Studebaker meet in Kelso Washington. Afterwards we toured most of Oregon visiting friends and answering questions when stopped for fuel or what have you. It was a delightful trip full of great memories. The only issue(if you call it that) was a blown fuse on the cigarette lighter socket which was powering our Sirius Satellite stereo and also Valentine One radar detector. Not bad for a 35 year old car covering 2000 miles. As for his (assuming it's a he) comments regarding seating and smells. Spend 12 hours in Recaro seats and try to find anything wrong as they are truly superb. As for the smell, what is not to like about rich burgundy leather? Just my take but I feel some slack must be given for any older car trying to compete with Lexuses and the like.
    Good luck in your search. In my opinion, you won't be sorry.
    Bill

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Stuhawk,
    Don't be jaded by one person's (64V19816) opinion of a rather unique automobile. Two years ago we jumped into our 1983 Avanti (it had been sitting for a year so just an oil change and cursory checkover prior to departure) in British Columbia and drove mostly on back roads to the Studebaker meet in Kelso Washington. Afterwards we toured most of Oregon visiting friends and answering questions when stopped for fuel or what have you. It was a delightful trip full of great memories. The only issue(if you call it that) was a blown fuse on the cigarette lighter socket which was powering our Sirius Satellite stereo and also Valentine One radar detector. Not bad for a 35 year old car covering 2000 miles. As for his (assuming it's a he) comments regarding seating and smells. Spend 12 hours in Recaro seats and try to find anything wrong as they are truly superb. As for the smell, what is not to like about rich burgundy leather? Just my take but I feel some slack must be given for any older car trying to compete with Lexuses and the like.
    Good luck in your search. In my opinion, you won't be sorry.
    Bill

Bill,
    I'm not for sure but it seems all things being equal that the 80s models in factory dress might be more reliable than the originals as produced by the factory. Atleast that's what i'm gathering from reading all the posts. For every horror story you read there is a success story to rebut it. I applaud your trust in the 1983 Avanti and the adventurer you must be. To take a road trip like that in a Timeless Classic like the Avanti must have been exhilarating to say the least !! I hope you took lots of pics from inside and outside the car . To quote Ol Gus from Lonesome Dove "There's Nothing Like Riding A Fine Horse Through NEW Country". That must have been how you felt !! Kudos